Polls, Polls, Polls: DC Edition Part 2!

:smile:

10 Likes

Guys- when you have some time pleez come over to the Batman 89 Movie thread and help us celebrate thirty-three years my most fave DCEU movie OAT. :smiley: :00_batman_1989: :00_batman_1989: :00_batman_1989:

11 Likes

Who was the best writer of the 2018-2022 volume of Justice League?

• Scott Snyder
  • James Tynion IV
  • Robert Venditti
  • Simon Spurrier
  • Jeff Loveness
  • Joshua Williamson (counting his Death Metal tie-in arc and #75’s Death of the Justice League)
  • Andy Lanning
  • Brian Michael Bendis

0 voters

9 Likes

Scott Snyder

I liked his JLA more than his Batman

9 Likes

I loved his Batman, and very much wanted to love his Justice League.

Especially since, in the years prior to him getting JL, he was my dream writer for the series.

I liked his run initially, but as it neared Doom War, the whole thing felt to me like a lot of padding, and not particularly interesting padding, despite the fact I generally really enjoy Snyder and love the Justice League.

Venditti’s run was very small, but for me, it got straight to the point and was a lot of fun, from start to finish. Precisely what I wanted Snyder’s run to be.

I might revisit Snyder’s run in the future (especially Doom War as I never finished it) but for now, Venditti is where its at for me.

9 Likes

Don’t really like the way hair dye looks in general so I dig Ravens darker more low-key color.

9 Likes

I’ve known a few women with purple hair (one of whom also had pink, and then a pink/purple mix afterward), and they wore it very well.

9 Likes

I don’t know if this is considered a hot take, but for me Justice League hasn’t been consistently great since New 52. Out of the runs you mentioned I think Snyder’s is the best, but he spent way too much time knocking the team down to set up Death Metal. Bendis didn’t have enough runway and crammed too much into the year & change he was on the book. I generally find Venditi’s writing to be quite forgettable (sorry I know how much you like his work). Spurrier’s arc was just, wierd. Don’t quite remember what the others did. So yeah, out of those, Scott Snyder. That’s the run that gave us this most memorable page (from #25):

8 Likes

It hasn’t been the home run after home run, giant stakes, window on the DC Universe series that it was during The New 52, I definitely agree.

Agreed, especially as Doom War neared.

Williamson did the Death Metal tie-in…and then killed everyone at the end of the series. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Yeah I know that much of course. Way to put your stamp on things Josh; thanks!

9 Likes

:laughing: That reminds me of the following from The Simpsons:

Homer (to Marge, as they’re leaving The Empire Strikes Back): “What a movie! Who’d have thought Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker’s father?”

the people waiting in line outside the theater groan and grumble at Homer

Guy in line: “Oh thank you, Mr. Why I Don’t I Ruin The Movie for Everyone Else?!”

8 Likes

Reminds me of a real life review headline I saw while I was in college for The Sixth Sense: “Bruce Willis: A Ghost”. Luckily I had already watched the movie :joy:.

8 Likes

I love Scott Snyder’s Justice League so much. It takes everything that makes the Justice League great, and turns the dial up to 11.

10 Likes

That’s how much I want to love his run, no doubt.

Some day, maybe I will.

9 Likes

Does she have to be in the BG suit? I think her best kiss is as Oracle (and with Dick of course, lol).

9 Likes

The Bat books on this list are on top for me, although I’d add Nightwing Year One and Oracle Year One to the group. Outside of the Bat umbrella, Wonder Woman Year One tops my list.

8 Likes

Easily one of the most important books in my collection.

Just. so. good. :00_batgirl1:

12 Likes

I feel like the ages are all out of wack, although part of this could just be my perception of character ages. Jay seems too old for Jon and gives me creepy vibes not just in romance, but his job. To be fair, I’ve read very little of Jon’s run as I didn’t like it and Jay gets caught up in all that.

As for Damian, I like the character. He’s my preferred character as current Robin. I loved Super Sons. I think Jon and Damian are best friends, whose friendship got interrupted by aging shenanigans. I liked both as kids, partly because they fit in (mostly) unoccupied story space as super kids instead of crowding closer to existing characters. All that to say, I like them as kids, so no romance. The current ages don’t support a romance, and I really don’t want Damian to suddenly be in college. DC could have grown these characters together more naturally and that could have been written with an eventual romance, but they opted for immediate changes.

Tldr, I don’t like any of the romance options Jon’s been given; however, I’m not really an aged up Jon fan. I guess if he has to date, at this point I prefer him dating someone in his own book.

12 Likes

I’ve never been a big JL fan. I loved JLI in the 80’s/90’s, but once it stopped making me laugh… I just didn’t care anymore.

Is that bad? It’s bad, right?? I’m more into LoSH because it is typically self-contained. I dislike events, and DC is very eventful these days.

10 Likes

Oh no, no, no. Its not bad. Nah!

I agree with the general. :wink:

slides a stack of New 52 Justice League Kon’s way

Thoughts on Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes (and Bendis’ LOSH in general, if you want)?

9 Likes