POLL – DC Metal: I Didn’t Like It… Am I Missing Something?

I find my opinion is inconsistent but steadily declining when it comes to Metal and I’m sure there are contradictory posts from me all over these boards. I’m a huge fan of the New 52 Batman book and was very excited for Metal when it was announced. It seemed interesting and fun but when I have looked back on it I remember it for moments instead of as a whole story. I like the Dark Multiverse and the one shots were good but as a whole I like the story less than I did. I think the biggest problem is that it never went away. The Batman Who Laughs went from being a cool character to being one whose presence can turn me off from a book.
I am interested in Death Metal because I want to know how it wraps up (please god wrap it up) but I’m kind of burnt out on the over the top silliness of the whole thing. I know Snyder and Capullo can tell a story but I think they are overdoing the dazzle dazzle. It’s close to becoming a parody.
Except I will take a Bat Rex all day every day.

2 Likes

I liked Metal a lot, but I would’ve preferred the Batman Who Laughs just staying in that series. Or at least not coming back for a good long while. And I never knew how badly I wanted a dinosaur Batman until a few weeks ago. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

The less you care, the more fun it is. It’s eye candy and big set pieces that’s laced with a bunch of lore so it feels important, but it’s really just a clever excuse to show you some cool stuff. As a story, it’s ok to meh. As a comic book, it’s pretty damn fun imo.

1 Like

Metal just wasn’t for me. And I hate that elements of it continue to pop up. Every time the source wall gets brought up I cringe. Like really… do we need the Batman Who Laughs as a reoccurring villain?

1 Like

When Metal came out, I really didn’t like it. The series and tie ins felt disjointed and unorganized. (I definitely did not help that Diamond shorted my shop and I got some of it out of order). Having some time on my hands, I re-read all 19 issues (or so) in one sitting. For the most part, I enjoyed it. (Despite the fact that I’m not one really a fan in this new era of meta fiction). I think the concept is so unique and jarring that the power of the story was being diluted by the character’s mainstream books when read on a weekly basis. So reading it in isolation really helped mute that background noise. As a result, I could see a tuff that I thought came out if left field are actually foreshadowed. It’s also interesting to see how the resolution of the story compares/contrasts with the Ultimate climax of the Doom War storyline in JL 39 (also a meta-fictional story). I will say that the two things that bothered me was the 4-part “Bats our Of Hell” tie in, which didn’t fit into the continuity and set up interesting things that should be playing out in Justice League Odyssey, but aren’t. The second thing is that Deathstrike reads a little like Deadpool, but I can’t remember what was going on in that title at the time. But, this is comics, so if something doesn’t bother you, they aren’t doing their job.

So, if on the fence, I’d recommend re-readIng the Forge, the Casting and the 6 issues again and see if it gets you more traction.

Sorry I rambled. It’s what I do.

1 Like

Felt kind of meh to me… It wasn’t bad but I found that I had to force myself to finish it.

1 Like

I can’t vote yet, I still need to read it. I have seen some of the art & it looks awesome.

1 Like

I stopped after The Forge because I neither need nor want everything in the DCU to be connected via Epic Backstory. It’s just lazy to invent ancient connections between unrelated characters, and it’s pointless to tell me Batman and Hawkman are descended from warring prehistoric clans with magic weapons.

I don’t care how this ends and if it hadn’t crossed over into Green Lantern, I wouldn’t have read as much as I did.

1 Like