POLL – DC Metal: I Didn’t Like It… Am I Missing Something?

Just read Snyder’s entire DC Metal storyline… I couldn’t wait for it to end. Am I completely off on this? The whole story seemed super forced and that most story lines didn’t connect in my mind. Then the ending just sorta Deus-Ex Machina’d…

(I love all of the All-Star Batman, Tom king Batman series and Nightwing comics)

What am I missing? ::batman_hv_4::

• I loved metal
  • Metal was ‘meh’
  • Metal was not my type of reading

0 voters

9 Likes

Need a third option. I didn’t think it was ‘meh’, but I didn’t love it either. I thought it was good. The one-shots were my favorite issues.

6 Likes

If it wasn’t for Capullo’s amazing art, I would’ve liked it even less. The story just got more and more convoluted the longer it went on, and it was really upsetting to hear Snyder talk about how he was influenced by Grant Morrison. Morrison’s multiverse stories are my least favorite comics because of how utterly unintelligible they usually are, and knowing that Snyder’s looking to that material as inspiration is also making me less excited for Death Metal

7 Likes

@ManofSteelForever That is so true! I’ll need to edit it ::batman_hv_6::

@arkhamassassin yeah. The art is awesome. I loved the Nightwing one shot… and I felt like it was amazing what they did for each ring to have super villain baddies as their “master” but like the whole end game makes me say: “so no one remembers the giant MOUNTAIN that was in the middle of Gotham? Haha

3 Likes

I’m in the same boat

2 Likes

I hated Metal. Tried it when it first game out and couldn’t get into it, then went back to it when it was all on DC Universe and forced myself to finish it. Outside of his early Batman work (pre-New 52), I really don’t like Scott Snyder’s writing and I’ve never cared for Capullo’s art. I really wanted to like Metal, but it was not for me.

5 Likes

I personally enjoyed it, even thigh the ending was a little deus ex machina. But I don’t begrudge anyone who didn’t. Not all comics are for everyone.

6 Likes

I liked it a lot. I don’t think it’s the best DC event or anything, but it was fun and enjoyable for what it was. If nothing else, the art by Greg Capullo was beautiful.

4 Likes

To me, Metal is to DC what guns are to Fantasy. It’s a blend of genres that comes out weaker together than each separate genre by itself.

No thank you I don’t want the orcs loading rifles when I am delving into Middle-Earth and I don’t want my superheroes in leather and spikes.

I will happily take both guns and leather and spikes in my Cyberpunk worlds because that’s where they belong.

6 Likes

I loved Metal, and am eager to re-read it before Death Metal #1’s debut next month.

3 Likes

Personally, I LOVED Metal itself but I wasn’t a fan of its spin-offs (New Justice, Snyder JL, Batman Who Laughs etc.)

3 Likes

This is simply the best way I felt about it too! The cross blending genres that are already rock solid by themselves is a little tedious. Thanks for the reply totally worth it!

3 Likes

See, the weird thing is, this is my problem with a lot of current indie books. There seems to be a strange, inexplicable fear of going straight for a genre; instead, everything is “a murder mystery… but in space!” Or, “a heist story, but with monsters!” There aren’t really any pure crime comics, or pure sci-fi comics, or pure horror comics anymore. Everything is trying to be the new Saga, and, as much as I absolutely love that comic (Alana and Marko about to kiss was my icon on this site for a while), I’m kind of tired of it. That said, I actually love it when creators do this in superhero comics. Most of my favorite recent superhero runs have some kind of genre-bending twist to them. The current Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane series, Event Leviathan, Wonder Twins, the early bits of the Tomasi Superman. To go into Marvel for a second, The Superior Foes of Spider-Man is one of my all-time favorite comics. I think it works better in superhero comics because it’s really the only truly established genre in the medium. In movies, murder mysteries and sci-fi stories have been around for decades, so it’s understandable to want to play around with those tropes (Knives Out was one of my favorite movies of 2019), but in comics, it’s different. Superhero books have been rolling steadily off the presses since the late 1930s, so the urge to play with the tropes of that well-worn genre are understandable and healthy. That’s my take on it, anyway.

5 Likes

Yeah I totally understand that. For one I love Westerns. But now it’s always Zombies in everything- so instead of getting Cowboys and Indians the genre mashup is like cowboys fighting zombie Indians haha but in this term it’s Batman and the tropes are just exchanged.

3 Likes

This is way off topic, but if you like westerns, check out the 2006 Jonah Hex series on the app. Really great one-and-done stories that are pretty much pure genre goodness.

5 Likes

I did not enjoy it, but I don’t generally enjoy events or the Justice League - I prefer solo books or small team ups of just one or two characters.

4 Likes

I’ve discovered a pattern with Snyder. Great ideas, poor execution. I normally get lost somewhere trying to figure out some small detail and lose track of everything. If I think back over it later, it all sounds great but the actual read isn’t that good. I apply this to everything he does. While I’m reading it I dislike it but if I just think about the summary it’s great.

(I’m also not a Capullo fan. Just not my style.)

7 Likes

Yeah, it felt for me the Art misplaced Batman. He seemed almost like not the same as the person under the cowl as Tom King. Which to my knowledge was the same storyline.

3 Likes

Not off topic at all! I’ll have to check it out- DCUniverse is amazing, i love the content and community that allows me to see different and similar perspectives on comics.

2 Likes

Snyder wanted it to be bombastic and he accomplished that IMO but the story didn’t really stick with me either. The ending was also hilariously bad with everyone forming a circle and getting god like armor like wtf lol.

2 Likes