POLL – DC Metal: I Didn’t Like It… Am I Missing Something?

Yeah that just made me feel so cringeworthy… then afterwards Tom King basically upstages Snyder when he does a variant story of Batman and Wonder Woman traveling to another realm and fighting in place of another hero for 1 day (which for them was like decades)… basic story but brilliantly laid out over two issues. Freaking Tom King- total genius.

3 Likes

Oh, I remember that issue and really liking the art. I didn’t really like Tom King’s run of Batman at all but when WW and Batman also got shipped…I was hopeful lol.

1 Like

I mean, I think it’s totally fair that the character has a different voice. Tom King’s Batman has a very different voice than Grant Morrison, than Frank Miller - every writer has their own style, and I can see how each of them are Batman, even though they are different.

2 Likes

Totally understandable! When I watch BtaS I always have to remind myself of the same thing. It’s a different writer.

My frustration kinda stems from the storyline, take for instance the follow up storyline: No Justice. Three issues of lead up, one final issue with a complete Deus ex Machina style ending… haha it just seems a little sloppy to always have the stories run the same way.

2 Likes

That is EXACTLY how I feel about Snyder, and I now have a way to articulate it that isn’t as insulting as “The people I know who like Metal are the ones who read the Wikipedia summary without the Capullo art.”

2 Likes

I liked Capullo’s art well enough. It wasn’t the worst story I’ve read. I generally don’t enjoy crisis type stories or events like that. I lose interest at some point, keep reading just to finish, and then I can’t follow everything that’s happened. It was readable but wasn’t enthralling…barely enjoyable. Reading comics is supposed to be fun, right?

1 Like

I heard the hype and was super excited about the books and went and bought the hardcovers. I then found myself struggling just to finish them. I figured maybe it was because they were so overhyped I was expecting more. If I hadn’t spent 60$ on them I’m not even sure I would have finished them. They weren’t horrible…just not as good as I’d heard. Glad I’m not the only one who feels that way.

1 Like

I did not mind Metal. Snyder ideas for the series where really good, execution could have been better. Art was amazing how can it not by Greg Capullo. The ending not really good. Over all I didn’t think it was a terrible event but could have been better.

Sounds like a story Joe Kelly did on Action 20 years ago. Superman and Wonder Woman fought a war for a thousand years in Valhalla, then came back to the real world like a week later or something.

(How do you link to an issue in a post?)

1 Like

For me, Metal was the epitome of “I don’t see the appeal.” Snyder is a talented writer who is good when he tells a focused story. The problem is, by his own admission, he’s always swinging for the fences.

He has this theory that you should always write the story you would write if you only had one chance. This served him well in Detective and the Court of Owls, but after a while it just got to be too much. It’s all extreme, over the top, high stakes stuff.

Like Jason Statham, great the first few times, then you’ve seen it before.

2 Likes

I just could not get into it; gave up rather early on.

HATED IT! And I hate the impacts that it is STILL having on the DC titles.

4 Likes

Yep. It was horrible.

Yeah, the lead up really frustrated me, and since i love DCUniverse so much i read so many comics for Rebirth. While ready those i always got reminders and adverts to read this new HUGE story, then it kinda just was all over the place.

After this storyline, is there any afterwards that are similar to it? Big names, but lots of fizzle…

1 Like

I think I like Bruce too much to enjoy seeing him tortured physically or psychologically. At least at this level. The Batman who Laughs is a worse fate than death for him. The Batmen from alternate earths seem shockingly bad and seem like an affront to the mythology of Batman, which is usually righteous and incorruptible.

I think that’s the point. Snyder makes the audience horrified with what’s happening to Bruce. Do writers just love to put Batman through hell?

I agree that I could do without the copious and frustrating amounts of Dark Multiverse content that we get these days, but I still kind of like the original story. I’m not saying it’s as good, but it kind of reminds me of Watchmen. I don’t like everything that it inspired, but I like it.

Interesting. I LOVE Morrison’s Multiverse stuff and I’ve also liked a bunch of what Snyder has been doing with the Monitor, Anti-Monitor etc. but as for Dark Metal itself I really didn’t connect with that at all. The art was great, but the story had some of the same problems I’ve had with parts of his Justice League stuff. He is putting too much stuff in there without really following through. A bunch of it is just seem like it is thrown in there for no real purpose other than “it looks cool” which isn’t really good enough for me, as it just makes it feel like fanfic.

4 Likes

I think his work on American Vampire and the Black Mirror arc he did in Detective Comics managed to be both great ideas and have great execution. But after the New 52 it seemed he got too caught up in the ideas for their own sake rather than for the story’s sake.

1 Like

This is actually a good explanation of why I don’t like Morrison’s multiverse stories too. Everything’s just so busy and insane that I can rarely tell what’s actually happening and the plot is pretty quickly lost

1 Like

While there are sometimes stuff I don’t get in Morrison’s work it, unlike Snyder’s work, makes me interested in learning more and as I’ve digged deeper or read other peoples dissection of his work I’ve learned a lot of stuff I never knew about. However, even if I have been out of the loop sometimes I have at no point felt like Morrison was just throwing stuff at the wall and even when there’s been stuff I didn’t fully get I still found the stories interesting and well worth my time.

With Snyder I’ve often found the stories themselves lacking or trying too hard without really succeeding. That the parts that are actually interesting ideas seem to get lost in the shuffle, or simply discarded

2 Likes