Poison Ivy - Why No Standalone Series?

Like @Razzzcat said! Still want an Isley and Sunstone but need home health to do it :smile:

1 Like

In his post he was saying he would be working on independent books which leads me to think Sunstone.
As promised @Razzzcat here is the main tweet. He does go into his health and his love of comics a little more but this is the main one regarding the conversation.

1 Like

Lol I just popped over to Twitter, because I hadn’t seen it last time I was there! :smile: Thnx @darkstarz

1 Like

He has soooooo many tweets!

1 Like

Technically she did get a mini-series during new52, back in June 2016.

The series mainly focused on her human side of being a botanist, working at the Gotham Botanical Gardens researching plant-animal hybrids. She raises 3 plant-human hybrid sproutlings that she names Rose, Thorn, & Hazel that she keeps at her apartment. I won’t spoil the rest ,you just have to pick it up TPB on Amazon.

1 Like

Or, you know, read it here on DC Universe:

4 Likes

I would so be down!!!

1 Like

The original post discussed this series. Quite a few of us have read it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you @AlexanderKnox for providing the link. :facepunch:t3:
And @D4RK5TARZ: right? SO many tweets. Its no surprise I missed the post—love that we get to see his process tho. :star_struck:

3 Likes

He really does post a lot! I love it :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

No, I’ve never been to a comic book convention or any kind of convention.

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to go from “x character is a popular cosplay” to "x character can support their own ongoing. I think an Ivy miniseries would be fine but few villains are interesting enough or interested writers skilled enough to sustain that for very long.

Harley and Deadpool are shilled heavily and are popular among people that have never picked up a comic book due to their appearances in movies and television, and this is likely the case with Ivy as well. But just because they’re popular outside of comics doesn’t mean they can sell a book.

I’ve been aware of the character since BTAS. I’ve just never found her powers to be super interesting. The eco-terrorist angle could maybe be focused on in an interesting way, but the controlling plants angle just has an inherent silliness to it in my eyes that feels like a more Flash or JSA villain than Batman. When her plants start ripping through buildings in the Arkham games I’m just thinking “where are these growing from? How much Miracle-Gro is she pumping into this?”

Also, personal note here: as TMNT 2 showed, it becomes immensely difficult to take a villain seriously when they yell the word “BABIES!”

I can see what you are saying. Yes, there needs to be good writers to make is possible. I have always thought if they did Ivy in more of a Urban Fantasy way it would be incredible. I think narrowing down on just her abilities really limits the possibilities of her. Great writing involves character development. To see a character grow and evolve. Pigeon holding a character is a fault on the writers. Fans of Ivy see potential for more.
Yes, you might not be into her but that doesn’t mean anything. You are not a fan, we get it. Those of us wanting more are fans. Honestly, your disinterest doesn’t mean there are none. You have a right to not like her. We have a right to fandom her and want more.

1 Like

It’s less a dislike of Ivy, it’s more just indifference.

I’m just trying to look at it from the business perspective, which is probably how DC themselves would look. It’s like, is Ivy a popular enough character to justify hiring a creative team and printing books? There are characters with a strong enough cult following to support a modest print run. I would definitely prefer to get an Ivy story over a Joker (overexposed and played out) or Riddler story.

But ultimately, what it would come down to: does the creative team have an interesting story to tell? There are certainly plenty of cases of a good creative team taking characters that weren’t terribly popular and making something amazing with them. Dennis O’Neill’s revival of The Question comes to mind.

The challenge is there- tell a great story, and you’ll make Ivy’s existing fans happy and bring new ones in.

I have been thinking about this. While Sejic is a great choice to work on an Ivy book I would actually prefer Conner, Palmiotti, and Grey. In a number of combinations they have done great with Harley Quinn, Power Girl, and Jonah Hex among many other great titles.

2 Likes

I think I’d like see Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott take a crack at her. Or Paul Dini? I thought Poison Ivy: The Cycle of Life and Death was okay. It seemed really slow to me, but I liked a lot of ideas in it.

2 Likes

Oooh. I like where your head is at.:facepunch:t3: That could be a fantastic run. I love both of them. Still want that BL Sejic tho :grin:

1 Like