Poison Ivy - Why No Standalone Series?

Not sure if anyone knows this but I’ll ask anyways. Why hasn’t there been an Ivy stand alone series of comics? I know there is the more recent one, Poison Ivy: Cylce of Life and Death, yet that is the only real stand alone I’ve seen of hers. Is it due to lack of interest?
I would love to see a Poison Ivy stand alone along the lines of the Harleen black label. To see her given an updated origin story and to really dive into what made her. Not sure if I am the only one who wishes for that, so please give me your thoughts!

11 Likes

She has never had an ongoing series, no. Ivy has some devoted fans, but they might not be numerous enough to sustain an ongoing series. Another limited series might do well. A series of graphic novels released every 6 months might do even better.

5 Likes

It might work as a Batman property. Who knows? Azrael ran for over eight years. I never thought that would last 100 issues.

3 Likes

I agree with @AlexanderKnox, She has some fans but not a lot to have her own series. However I would like to see a Black label in the same sense as Harleen, that would be something

5 Likes

I was thinking that she didn’t have a large enough following to justify the time and money to create more stand alone comics. However, I wonder if her fandom might increase due to the Harley Quinn show.

2 Likes

I certainly think she can sustain a miniseries. It’s just really hard to get people to buy ANY monthly ongoing series nowadays.

6 Likes

I agree, she can definitely sustain a mini series. As to buying monthlyissues, yeah, especially lately. I have seen success in publishing when issues are released digitally and only print a collection of the issues. Use pre-ordering to determine the demand.

3 Likes

That’s true. I’m stuck in 1994.

4 Likes

This is what I think. The increase in popularity will increase her chances of getting her own series.

3 Likes

It’s not a solo series, but she was a member of the New 52 Birds of Prey for a while. I believe she was also a part of the Justice League United roster at one point. Poison Ivy works great in team settings, including on the Harley Quinn show.

3 Likes

Stjepan Sejic has been pushing DC to let him do “ISLEY” as a follow-up to HARLEEN… he’s even shared some potential concept art.

Considering how well HARLEEN did… well, it’s not impossible.

14 Likes

That would be amazing. His work on Harleen was wonderful! The art and story was well done. I cant imagine why they wouldn’t go for it!

1 Like

I haven’t gravitated towards Harleen yet, but should it happen, Isley would be a must-read for me.

2 Likes

Ive been following Stjepan Sejic on the socials—hes working on something for Ivy and it looks ah-mazing just from the mock ups he posts. :heart_eyes: I want it! Like, yesterday.
There’s never enough Ivy, as far as I’m concerned :green_heart:

2 Likes

I agree. Harleen was really good and if they did something in same vein for poison ivy ivy I’d pick it up. Hell I’d pick one up for all the villains, especially mr freeze.

1 Like

I still think DC is leaving money on the table w/ Ivy. If she’s treated w/ respect—good writers and artists who “get her”, she’ll slay. :fist:Target the right audience, DC. Her time has come! She’d be a timely “anti-hero”, and let’s not even get started on representation. She’s got it in spades. Anyway…Ivy could absolutely carry a title, as long as they’re not cheap about it.

Ivy is also green. You know what else is green? US CURRENCY, BABY!

3 Likes

@Bukdiah Ever heard: You gotta spend money to make money? I’m not entirely sure I understand your comment, but “Cheap”, in context of what I was saying, means that they don’t toss her to a team of randos just to say they “did it”. Give her to someone who cares a little. That doesn’t mean they have to break the bank…Plus, with all the less than stellar titles out there, I’d say there’s NO shortage of money for projects. Fact.

I meant she’ll print money… :laughing:

Oh. :joy: Gotcha! She will! :moneybag: