Poison Ivy - Why No Standalone Series?

Is that so? I see that he is working on a Harleen sequel but didn’t know he got the green light for the Poison Ivy one :smiley:

1 Like

Plus student debt with the no guarantee of work probably pushed the decision, cant say I blame them lol.

2 Likes

Just gonna drop this here. Feels right. :wink:

Aaaand I’m also going to tag @Mae and @Applejack as a small thank you for all the sweet tunage when I’m lurking. :dancer:t2:
2 Likes

@Razzzcat, that’s incredible! Supernature is literally one of my most favorite tunes! Well, I have oodles of them but it’s so good! I don’t care what anyone says, disco does not suck!

This is a pretty sweet version, too! The original 13-or-so-minute banger is a banger! Groove your tush! :dancing_women:

2 Likes

There is so much right going on that I cant articulate it properly :wink: Never heard that song before but now that I have, I cant help but feel that you are very right for dropping it here!

1 Like

@Mae First, this also one my faves (of many). :facepunch:t3:
Second…

I don’t care what anyone says either! Disco is great, haters! :sunglasses:
And last: Yeah the original is lengthy for sure. I’m a big Beth Ditto fan, so I like the voice and the thicker beat :dancer:t2:

1 Like

You are very welcome @Rationally. It’s perfect for the thread :wink::green_heart: Screams Ivy

1 Like

I have asked a few writers. The reason why Poison Ivy is not used as much and doesn’t have aseries is that what Editorial wants about her and what fans want comes in clash.
Poison Ivy is no more the character she was 30-40 years ago. The popularity of the Harley Quinn animated show and the Palmiotti/Conner series as well as DC Bombshells shows that when Ivy is portrayed as an antihero or even a hero, she sells a lot more. When she is a couple with Harley she sells more.
But this is something that DC doesn’t like. Current editorial definitely doesn’t like. They killed the character in Heroes in Crisis to reboot her into an antihero and then killed her again a few months later in Harley and Ivy to reboot her once more into we don’t yet know what.

Also notice how WB related sites as well as WB themselves are proud for Harley and Ivy and specifically the animated show whereas DC is actively removing the couple from their promos and site.

3 Likes

Hmmm I wonder why they are so resistant? It seems like they are stubborn to adapt her character to modern times. I am always excited to see Ivy in a comic but there is so little of her character that is ever explored. They should at least do a test run to gauge if something could be worked out instead of just saying no. It seems very stubborn of them. They have adapted so many other characters (especially male characters), yet Ivy is where they draw the line? I feel like there is a story there and now I want to know why!

I think that a lot of the editors or writers are i.e Wizard Magazine alumni or grew up with different comics in a different era and refuse to accept that things have moved.
They’ve been so defensive and refuse to allow Poison Ivy to grow that if someone does allow it and it becomes a success, they will look bad for banning it for so much time.
I mean … this is something regular in corporations. It happens in every job, it happens in comics too.

1 Like

True. It just shows how important it is to have diversity in the workplace so that more ideas and chances are taken. People who do not accept feedback hinder a work place, they do not elevate it. It is depressing really. I think Ivy has the ability be so much more.

1 Like

Yes, with the recent developments and many female creators coming out about being harassed by pros, it is sad but understandable that diversity in creators, stories and characters will not come as easy as a company tweeting about it. It needs commitment and dedication. I enjoy how this community has some rules and sexism and homophobia are discouraged.

Based on whats coming out many people both at DC and in other companies knew about it but choose to ignore it. If HR doesn’t care about their stuff I doubt they will care about characters. I can wait for an Ivy book. But a safe working environment, to feel safe amongst colleagues needs to happen now. Women need to be heard.

3 Likes

It is sad how this issue is still an issue. You would have thought people would be better about such things! Companies lose so much money when they pull that sort of crap. Now a days, with there being a lot of different comic book companies and independents one would think they would realize that they are missing a portion of the market by not doing better. I agree with your sentences, I can wait for an Ivy but they need to do better!

1 Like

I’d love to see Ivy be the big bad of a long arc personally. Let her eco-terroist side shine. I think her attachment to Harley has really short changed her. She’s certainly interesting enough to shine on her own. I would buy that Isley book in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

I really want the Isley book to happen!

2 Likes

Not popular enough?! Dude please?! Have you been in a comic book convention lately?! Have you seen the number of Posion Ivy cosplay?! It is just as many as that for Harley and Deadpool and other major comic book character, Rhianna herself dressed up like Ivy one time and said that Posion Ivy is her obsession more so than the Dark Knight himself, so not popular my ass, just because you indifferent toward her doesn’t mean she ain’t famous pal.

2 Likes

The only thing I see stopping this is that he has said that he is backing away from DC for the time being. Not quitting or anything but he has mentioned his health isn’t great and he wants to focus on his independent work. With that said, shortly after he said that he did the first book for Harley Quinn: Black, White, and Red. That story did include Ivy so he has built a mystery, at least for me.

1 Like

Yeah, he’s got some health issues, but he’ll be back. He’s still on good terms with DC.

2 Likes

I am a-okay if he does more Sunstone stuff while he is resting. I guess that wouldn’t be resting exactly but it won’t be at the deadlines of DC.

2 Likes

Same. I mean…I want both Sunstone and that Isley :wilted_flower: book, for sure, but I’m willing to wait. Health comes first.

1 Like