Poison Ivy (2022) | Book Discussion | Spoilers Ahead!

It has, it has. Jon Kent does good, all-around.

Fights wherein he’d take whoever he was up against, right? Right? :clark_hv_4:

3 Likes

More like, let’s call them, philosophical differences between myself and my fellow Supes fans. And, when I was in my 20’s, I would take whatever I was up against…

3 Likes

I had no idea you were a Superfan, but as one myself, I am quite glad to know that.

3 Likes

Oh yeah! Supes is my favorite character! All-Star Superman converted me back in '05. I’ve read every regular, monthly issue since about '08. I tend not to talk about him much, though. I get too into it. Easier and more fun for me to talk about Ivy.

3 Likes

You know, there’s a Superman club around these parts that you’d probably like. I hear the guy that runs it is pretty cool too, BTW.

You can’t be too into DC’s #1, ya know…

Redheads that have command over flora and fauna are pretty fun to talk about and root for, no doubt.

3 Likes

This is the cover I picked up yesterday (Tuesday, depending on the day one is reading this):

If you think it looks good on your screen, it looks 10x better IRL. Truly a stunning piece, and very likely now among my all-time favorite pieces of Ivy artwork.

5 Likes

to know whats going on you need to read Gotham city villains, batman vol 3 124’s backup to get from fear state to know. =) I know she used them in Gotham city villains. however fungi are controlled by the grey not the green…i think the gray is confusing.

6 Likes

So, I had no idea this comic was a thing. Then I heard about it on Tuesday and it sounded very interesting. Then I saw it at my LCS today when I went to grab some other comics and I bought it. I am not disappointed. This was fantastic. I’m sad this wasn’t on my radar until this week.

I look forward to continuing to read this series because I need to know how this goes.

9 Likes

@Vroom & @TheCosmicMoth lol, You know how slow I am w/ reading lately :see_no_evil: Baby steps :supergirl_cw: You’ll be the first ones to know, tho, I promise!

@Row.Harper :eyes: It’s good, right? I wasn’t sure what to expect, but absolutely agree. I’m definitely intrigued. :purple_heart: Hope you’ve been well, btw. Looking forward to your thoughts on the next issue!

7 Likes

Baby steps today, and then tomorrow, this:

Look, I’ll even tag along:

4 Likes

@Razzzcat, I expect your book report on my desk by the end of the week…

…No, but seriously, take your time :slight_smile: even though I do really want to hear what you think.

5 Likes

This is…complicated. Yes and no, and the grey is fungus, yes. Solomon Grundy is it’s avatar on another earth—it’s a whole thing, and not easy to keep track of.

And now I’m thinking about Swamp Thing and :star_struck:THIS

11 Likes

Yes, professore Moth. :apple: Cool Detective diploma, here I come!

I’m looking to have a nice chunck of time to just read incessantly for like, a week straight in July, so :crossed_fingers: :black_heart:

5 Likes

If you’re trying to nab that diploma out of the claw machine at the bowling alley, just know that I’ve got dibs on the lobster harmonica that can be found in said machine that I’m currently pumping a copious quantity of quarters into. :sunglasses:

…and no, I don’t drive a bus for Springfield Elementary, nor is my name Otto. :wink:

does agree that the store in Springfield Mall named “Stoner’s Pot Palace” should change its name to “Corningware Corner”, however

5 Likes

That’s what I was wondering about! My mind just went to the New 52 Animal Man and Swamp Thing series, which I really liked, so I wasn’t sure whether or not it was significant that Ivy’s working with something that was associated with the Gray.

7 Likes

I really hate to say this, but I’m dropping Poison Ivy from my pull list.

#1 was a solid read, no doubt.

However, there are new series and arcs starting this month that simply interest me more than this series does, right now.

Coupled with the desire to have a much smaller pull list than I normally do, that means I’ll catch the rest of Poison Ivy in trade, especially for its stunningly beautiful variants, which are an artistic event unto themselves.

goes to add Ivy titles to his DCUI pull list, so as to still be able to scratch his Ivy itch when the need beckons in the coming months

3 Likes

She knows you’ll be back, lol. :green_heart: No worries. :hugs:

Here’s this variant btw, everybody

10 Likes

Hell yeah I’ll be back, especially when she motions like that. :clark_hv_4:

I really like the tan shirt/black pants look for Ivy. I hope that lasts past this current book and into other things (including non-comic media).

6 Likes

I would be surprised if Ivy actually died at the end of this series, but they are doing a good job selling the possibility. Liked that issue 2 gave us a look into the psychology of Ivy’s misanthropy.

9 Likes

Just finished issue #2. There’s one, big part that I can’t get over:

Pam’s rant about not being a vegetarian and the environmental harm caused by modern agave farming. I’m not surprised that Pam isn’t a member of #TeamGreen :green_heart:. That’s also the way they played it in DC Super Hero Girls (though with the simpler explanation of Pam loves plants so she would never eat them). However, the argument phrased in this way caused me something like cognitive dissonance, so I think it’ll be helpful for me to unpack it a bit. (I also REALLY want to know what @Razzzcat thought!)

On one hand, I did not know about the environmental effects of modern agave farming. It was certainly illuminating to learn and I would agree that it’s an important issue to get out there. I’m Team Green, and, though I don’t use agave sweetener, I will double-think drinking tequila from this point on.

On the other hand, if I were debating Pam on vegetarianism, I would probably point out that the effects of farming agave sweetener (which, again, isn’t something that every vegetarian uses) still don’t come anywhere near to the environmental impact of cattle and chicken farming. So, though I applaud getting the issue of agave farming out there and educating me on it, there’s something that made me uncomfortable about it being used as proof against the environmental responsibility of vegetarianism as a whole. Like, this is the kind of argument that bacon-boys would use to belittle vegetarianism and dismiss the idea that the meat industry needs to change rather than just being a call for reformation in vegan consumption habits (as I assume it was meant to be).

In the end, though, I had to consider that the source of this argument is Pam. The agave argument fits her overall belief that it’s the booming human populace and their wild consumption of Earth’s resources that is the real threat to the world. Agave farming became bad for the environment once the market demand for agave consumption forced farmers to cut-corners in the process to make a larger profit. Pretty much how the demand for beef and poultry causes farmers to clear-cut forests for grazing pastures and feed an unsustainable amount of resources to fatten their animals. In the end, they are both part of the same problem and that’s the ultimate problem that Pam is trying to solve. I mean, she did go after a cattle ranch back in issue #1, so fair is fair…

Also, this second issue focuses a lot on Pam’s motivations and how they are a bit distorted due to the loss of her Queen Ivy powers and connection to the green. Her actions are being driven by the trauma of losing that connection and by her bitterness over how it happened. Yet, we almost see her humanity peek out in this issue as she connects with the people she meets inside the diner. This causes her to feel something like remorse as she reflects one what she’s actually doing to them. I think this issue will be at the center of the run.

This comic seems to be about humanism vs. the inescapable reality of humanity’s impact on the Earth and its resources. That’s really bold and is probably exactly what a comic about Poison Ivy should be about.

8 Likes