đŸȘ™Pennyworth CanceledđŸȘ™

Sad to see it go. Was and awesomeℱ:+1: show, but like many dctv had a feeling this would happen. Still amazing an Alfred prequel got 3 seasons.

8 Likes

But how will we ever learn how he became Batman’s butler

8 Likes

And here I just finished up the first season!

3 Likes

I highly recommend reading Batman Earth One, that was really a good book, and we see how Alfred started working for the Waynes. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

:laughing:

3 Likes

It’s still a good watch. Season 3 was my favorite.

3 Likes

Have not had a chance to watch it yet (given MAX’s recent events might want to in case they abruptly pull it off) but always sorry to see less DC TV. Is not a surprise though, even if the DCU plans didn’t have anything to do with the decision I never heard anyone talking about it being on MAX or much at all, so was probably not coming back even if Gunn and the new DCU plans had never happened. But definitely can’t complain they got three seasons out of it.

4 Likes

I’m definitely grateful for the seasons we got, especially considering how much it improved after season 1, but the unanswered questions really make this cancellation suck. I was mainly looking forward to seeing how Samantha was going to impact the Batman legacy in the long term. Would she grow up to be Batwoman? Would this world’s Bruce have a secret older sister, maybe one he somehow never knew about? Would they have gone super dark and killed her off? Would Bruce end up coming out as a trans man when he got older? OK, I doubt they’d go that progressive, as fascinating as that route would be, but the fact is there’s a lot of interesting ways this could’ve played out. I hope the writers do get to at least let us know what their plans were for her in future seasons

4 Likes

That was something I was looking forward to as well.

4 Likes

After Doom Patrol and Titans were canceled, I was sure Pennyworth would follow. WB and DC have a lot of excess fat to trim with the merger and change in leadership. Beloved properties will be sacrificed.

I would not be surprised if the coming season of Superman and Lois is the last.

5 Likes

I felt a 4th Season would have wrapped things up nicely for Pennyworth; as Doom Patrol and Titans are getting to wrap things up with a 4th and final Season.

I’m just accepting the fact that DC needs to conclude programmes involving it’s various intellectual properties so that certain Characters can go back to being under DC control.

This situation is on par with when Marvel was letting anyone that had money come forward and take their intellectual property in the 90’s - 00’s (thus we had Spider-Man at Sony, Blade at New Line, Hulk at Universal, X-Men at 20th Century Fox, Iron Man at Paramount, etc); until the Walt Disney Company purchased Marvel and slowly gained back intellectual property (well 95%).

I can tell you where DC’s intellectual properties has been successful the longest - at Six Flags Theme Parks (Rides and Attractions, Lands inside a Park). I can’t tell you if this arrangement will contractually continue, because everything is done under license and contracts need to be renewed when they come to an end (I don’t see DC Studios / Warner Bros purchasing Six Flags, I can see DC Studios taking an interest in helping to design new experiences at Six Flags Theme Parks in order to maintain continuity). :thinking:

4 Likes

I love the Battle for Metropolis ride at Dallas.

I kept shooting Lex in the butt.

6 Likes

I occasionally visit Six Flags Magic Mountain (in Valencia CA). DC - Warner Bros has successfully allowed their intellectual property for use on:

BATMAN: The Ride
JUSTICE LEAGUE: Battle for Metropolis
LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom
SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton
TEEN TITANS: Turbo Spin
THE RIDDLER’s Revenge
WONDER WOMAN: Flight of Courage

METROPOLIS themed Land in Park

BRAVE AND THE BOLD DC Store
DC SUPERHERO Store
HERO HAVEN Store
THE DAILY PLANET Gift Shop

Six Flags Great America just created a new DC UNIVERSE Land with brand new experiences added to it -

THE FLASH: Vertical Velocity (high-speed launch coaster) AQUAMAN Splashdown (flume ride with a watery plunge)
DC SUPER-VILLAINS
(Swing)

If I wanted to capitalize on future DC Studios Film and Television, as well as keep things cohesive by using the same Actors - Actresses portraying Characters? I would implement their use at every Six Flags Theme Park (from the Merchandise sold, to potential Live Entertainment). It’s a great way to promote ‘Coming Soon’ that’s successfully done at Walt Disney Theme Parks (for Marvel), as well as Universal Studios Theme Parks (The Mummy, Jurassic World).

4 Likes

I am bummed, although it’s not surprising. I feel like we’ve seen the last of a golden age of DC on TV. Between the CW, HBO and the OG DC Universe it seemed like there was always something new to watch.

4 Likes

When we visited last year, 2/3 of the DC rides were inoperable. Maybe Magic Mountain is too inept a stage to be mounting the publicity campaigns for your next film.

3 Likes

In hindsight, the show made itself an “Elseworlds” production from the first episode. It was always really just a spy show with some promise of Bat contuity dangled out there. I think there’s plenty of room for spy shows in the DC universe, but this show never wanted to be part of that universe.
Also, why does Epix even exist?

3 Likes

Last time we went was in 2018 an all of The Rides were fine at Six Flags Magic Mountain - pre pandemic shutdown 
 post pandemic not one Theme Park has opened operating at 100% (I expect it will take more time for Six Flags , Cedar Fair , Universal , Disney to get back to pre-pandemic times). Knott’s Berry Farm was looking great, but Disneyland was a hot mess (Universal was already tearing down Studio space for Attraction space - so VIP backlot wasn’t exactly spectacular).

Not every Theme Park is open year round (I wouldn’t mind if more would close for 3 months and just do all the maintenance around the clock - then open ready for spring break).

Six Flags still has their licensing agreement with Warner Brothers + DC + Looney Tunes and the only way things will improve is if DC Studios does take an active role (if you think Rides and Attractions that are at least a decade old in need of maintenance at Six Flags is bad? imagine what Team Disney Anaheim must feel when they can’t even open a new Marvel Themed Land without legally getting to use the word Marvel + with a new Ride that’s already down for maintenance + only one quick service poor dining option - but they still found a way to use open space to promote Marvel, because that’s all you need to hand out freebies, dress up Cast Members and sell Swag).

This is coming from someone that’s old enough to remember when it was Magic Mountain (pre Six Flags) / old enough to remember Knott’s before Cedar Fair took over / old enough to remember when Universal Studios Hollywood wasn’t a Theme Park (it was still fun to visit to check out the Classic Horror).

5 Likes

Not surprised. It started on Epix, a channel I always forget about and honestly never heard of anyone having and saying ‘oh you gotta get Epix!’

3 Likes

It doesn’t! It’s MGM+ now.

5 Likes

Oh dear god, just like it ain’t HBO MAX it’s just MAX. Companies and their renaming of crap, I swear.

2 Likes