Official DC Book Club: Batman Day Edition!

Bane’s minions have taken control of Gotham City and are ruling with an iron fist, and Batman is nowhere to be found…will the city fall to crime and violence?

In celebration of Batman Day 2022, we’re kicking off the newest edition of the Official DC Book Club with Batman: City of Bane 1 and Batman: Secret Files! Join us on September 19 through the end of the month for a thrilling faceoff between some of Gotham’s most iconic (and deadly) characters.

Come back to this thread over the next two weeks to join group discussions, starting on Monday, September 19! And remember: these two books are free to read for all registered DCUI users!

Here are the discussion questions for this edition of the Official DC Book Club:

Week 1 Discussion Questions
  1. What’s your take on this version of Batman’s suit? Do you like this variant? If so, why? If not, why not?

2. What do you think Thomas Wayne uses as motivation to be the Batman?

3. In the early pages of this book, there is an interesting monologue about having the resources that Batman has, saying…what do you make of this?

4. On page 22, Two Face mentions the “false Batman”. Who do you think Two Face is referring to, and why does he call him “false”?

5. How do you feel about the villains taking the reigns as Gotham’s law enforcers?

Week 2 Discussion Questions
  1. What did you think of Joker’s little intro story?

2. Why do you think Batman is so susceptible to the Psycho Pirate’s psychological attacks?

3. What role do you think forgiveness plays in this story?

4. On page 25, Edward talks about why he continues to battle Batman. What do you think is Riddler’s motivation here?

5. How do you feel about the story progression jumping so much? Do you like the “meanwhile…” approach to building an overarching story?

As always, the Official DC Book Club comes with these amazing digital wallpapers and bookmarks!

Desktop Wallpapers
Mobile Wallpapers
Bookmarks

See you all on Sept. 19 for the start of September’s Official DC Book Club!

16 Likes

City of Bane. Awesome™:+1:. One if my favorites.

15 Likes

tenor

Can’t wait! :batparrot:

10 Likes

Oh, cool. City of Bane is a good read. I don’t think I have read it since it first came out. I’m excited to read it again!

7 Likes

Just found out that Henry Silva who played Bane on Batman The Animated Series passaway, he was 95. Reading about Bane would be a great tribute to the Actor who played him. :pensive:

6 Likes

City of Bane, nice!

My favorite cover from it is Tony Daniel’s piece for Batman #75. Its quite :kissing: :pinched_fingers:t2:, and then some.

6 Likes

I have it…and still need to read it! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BEHIND :sob: For I like what Tom King was doing with Bane, especially in Batman Vol. 2, that was cool. Feel like Bane got little to no traction in New 52. I remember him in an issue of Batwoman and…that’s it ???

6 Likes

Good to hear. So…you support Bane in his ambitions in Harley Quinn then?

5 Likes

HOLY $%^&! A drink to him then, as I am having one at this moment.

6 Likes

Tony Daniel?!?!? Ugh, I need to read this so badly.

5 Likes

I can’t pick which of the two Clay Mann variants are my favorites.

4 Likes

He had a little bit of action. Bane showed up in the first arc of Paul Jenkins and David Finch’s Batman: The Dark Knight.

He also had a tie-in mini-series for Forever Evil called Arkham War, where while Batman is dealing with the events of that, erm, event, Bane breaks out Arkham and Blackgate and takes over…Gotham…City…

Wait, that’s a really similar premise for City of Bane. Now that I think about it, City of Bane also had ties to a big line-wide DC event where the villains took center stage in Year of the Villain.

That’s…hilarious.

6 Likes

Of course :banehappyhqtas:

4 Likes

Cut to the chase and pick both. :sunglasses:

@Jay_Kay I loved Forever Evil: Arkham War! Almost as much as Forever Evil itself, and it was far and away my favorite tie-in to the event.

So, City of Bane’s start in Batman #75!

Definitely a solid start to the arc, which got a little long in the tooth as it went on, but the beginning at least is quite schway.

3 Likes

YES! I recall Forever Evil now, he like became Batman and even took the design from TDKR. But not The Dark Knight, but then again TDK run was kinda eh, it had so many ups and downs it felt like.

2 Likes

The first week of discussion questions have been posted!

3 Likes

Week 1

1. I think it’s fine for what it is. The red accents, the gun holsters, and the spikes all make it clear that this is a darker, more violent Batman. For this reason, however, I would never want the real batsuit to incorporate these features.
  2. I think that Thomas wants revenge for what happened to his family. His primary goal is to punish criminals and his secondary goal is to protect innocents. This is in stark contrast to Bruce (or, at least the better versions of him), who’s main goal, for all his “I am vengeance” talk, is always to prevent victims going through what he went through.
  3. I mean, hopefully it’s setting up the ventriloquist, of all people, to be a surprise claimant to Bane’s throne later on.
  4. I assumed he was referring to Bruce. I don’t think that Bane allows anyone to, like, validate the way things were before his takeover. According to Bane’s law, the only Batman is the current one (Thomas). The one before him was false.
  5. definitely an interesting idea. Kind of like a more organized “No Man’s Land” situation. I’m more perplexed as to how we got here. This issue is my jumping on point, so I don’t know of this was built up over a year of comics or if Bane’s rise to power will be explained later.
4 Likes
  • Not quite sure which suit - Thomas or Bruce. I like the Thomas suit ok, but in a short story, where it’s not too dominant.
  • I like the way King plays out Thomas’s motivation to protect his son. I think it’s a bit silly, but hey, it’s Batman.
  • I wish King had showed both how the whole transformation of Gotham happened, and more of how it works. The story feels a bit too big for just 12 issues.
4 Likes

W1

• What’s your take on this version of Batman’s suit? Do you like this variant? If so, why? If not, why not?

I’ve always like Flashpoint bats suit. Like the mix of red and black. Give a more grim and intimidating tone that he’s going for.

• What do you think Thomas Wayne uses as motivation to be the Batman?

Bruce. In his world avenging his death. Here to make sure he never has to be the Bat.

• In the early pages of this book, there is an interesting monologue about having the resources that Batman has, saying…what do you make of this?

That Batman could easily rule it all if he wanted but chooses not too. He uses it to help people. It’s not perfect but he tries. Also a Scarface tease in Weskers head.

• On page 22, Two Face mentions the “false Batman”. Who do you think Two Face is referring to, and why does he call him “false”?

It’s Bruce. Bane wants the only bat to be Thomas. Anyone who says otherwise… we’ll they shouldn’t.

• How do you feel about the villains taking the reigns as Gotham’s law enforcers?

Interesting choice but it a way for the conquering villain to gain control and not have to worry so much any the others if they work for him.

3 Likes

I was watching something about City of Bane, and the guy said that King was planning for the series to be longer but his run got cut short.

2 Likes