Official April DC Community Book Club -- Catwoman (2001)

It was a close run, but Catwoman (2001) was the winner with over 30% of the total votes! So this month’s official DC book club will take a look at Catwoman (2001) #1 - #4. This time, Selina is the detective and she must race against time to save Gotham and herself from a vicious serial killer unlike anything she’s ever faced before. Does Selina have what it takes? We’ll find out together!

This Book Club will run from 2022-04-18T05:00:00Z2022-05-13T05:00:00Z with 4 sets of discussion questions.

What’s that? You’re not subscribed to DC Universe Infinite, but you want to take part in the discussion? GOOD NEWS. Catwoman (2001) issues #1 - #4 are free to read for all registered DCUI members!

Join us in this month-long book club and find out what Catwoman is truly made of.

Here are the Official DC Book Club discussion questions:

Week 1 Discussion Questions (Issue #1 on DCUI)
  1. In the opening pages of Catwoman #1, we see Selina and a psychologist discussing her identity with and without “the mask”. At this point in the story, who do you think Selina is without her mask? What makes up her character and personality?

2. As she witnesses Batman confronting Ridder in the streets below, Selina’s inner dialogue reveals that she lives between the black and white world of Batman–in the “shades of grey” between right and wrong. Who’s approach to criminality do you agree with more? The black and white world of Batman, or the “good people forced into bad situations” approach of Selina? Why do you feel this way?

3. What do you think the old Catwoman suit represents for Selina? What about the new Catwoman suit?

4. After seeing her new suit, Batman tells Catwoman that “no matter what”, he still believes she is a good person. How does this align with Batman’s general approach to fighting crime? Does this seem contradictory to you, or does it check out?

5. After finishing this first book, what would you say motivates Selina? What is her cause?

Week 2 Discussion Questions (Issue #2 on DCUI)
  1. In the early pages of Issue #2, Selina says "…“No matter how much Gotham changes, some things stay the same.” How do you feel about this statement? Do you believe that despite all the work heroes like Batman work to keep Gotham safe, that their efforts are for nothing?

2. How do you think Catwoman can change the trajectory of Gotham? Can she really do enough good to impact the city’s fate, or is Gotham lost forever to crime and corruption?

3. Why do you think Selina cares so deeply for the underserved/underrepresented people of her city? Do you think her concern is justified?

4. On page 15, we see a GCPD Officer hit a civilian while investigating a crime scene, and take her money. Is trying to fight crime in Gotham even possible, when there’s so much corruption in the police force?

5. What are the values and ideals that Catwoman lives/fights by?

Week 3 Discussion Questions (Issue #3 on DCUI)
  1. What do you think Dr. Thompkins’ nightmare says about her, and what she may have in common with Selina?
  2. Why do you think that Selina has been sleeping peacefully since she put on the new costume, and how does that compare to Dr. Thompkins’ sleep?
  3. What do you think Selina’s reaction to Honest Jay Little’s disrespecting his wife says about her?
  4. What do you think tipped Selina off about the man she was talking to in the bar?
  5. In just this one issue, the scene changes multiple times, from a nightmare, to a murder scene, to a bright and colorful car lot, and to the “diviest bar”. How do you think the Darwyn Cooke’s style and portrayal of the settings and characters add to this issue?
Week 4 Discussion Questions (Issue #4 on DCUI)
  1. How is Selina’s decision to stop and listen to the killer’s explanation compares to what someone like Batman or the Gotham police would have done in that situation?
  2. Do you think the killer’s past makes him similar to the typical Gotham supervillain, or different?
  3. Did Selina know the killer would survive being decapitated, or was she willing to kill him to stop him?
  4. Batman makes a point to lecture Selina about never using the bat signal again, even though she had no other options, and he still helps her out. Do you think he’s really bothered by her using it, or is he maybe just trying to maintain the moral high ground over her?
  5. How would you explain what Selina believes her place and role in Gotham are, after this issue?

And of course, what would the Official DC Book Club be without some awesome digital perks? Check out these digital wallpapers and bookmarks!

Digital Bookmarks

Desktop & Mobile Wallpapers

11 Likes

Excited to see Selina kicking some butt!

5 Likes

The beginning of the best ongoing Catwoman series ever, as Brubaker’s run is still the GOAT when it comes to Ms. Kyle.

Darwyn Cooke (literally “Mr. DC”)'s art is fantastic and should make everyone purr with delight over how beautiful it is. :catwoman_hv_2:

Fun Fact: These issues are where Selina’s iconic black bodysuit and goggles look debuted, as the costume was designed by Darwyn Cooke.

Its a costume that’s been in its own share of iconic stories and series (the Catwoman: Selina’s Big Score OGN, Hush and Gotham City Sirens, to name a few) and has also been featured in a variety of media, especially in animation.

Can’t wait to see what folks (especially those new to this series and its first arc) think!

4 Likes

I will have to give it a read

5 Likes

The first week of questions is up! Get after it, Book Clubbers!

8 Likes

Yeees, here we gooo!! Gonna dig into this asap :smiling_imp:

Also this bookmark is so cool looking! Be sure to check out the others along with the Desktop & Mobile Wallpapers :eyes:

5 Likes

Wait are the bookmarks and wallpapers already out yet? I can’t find them

4 Likes

Welcome to the community, friendo!

Hmm, they should show up for you at the very end of Jitsu’s first post :slight_smile:

You have to click on the little triangle next to “Digital Bookmarks” and “Desktop & Mobile Wallpapers” to get the dropdown of images :slight_smile:

5 Likes
  • In the opening pages of Catwoman #1, we see Selina and a psychologist discussing her identity with and without “the mask”. At this point in the story, who do you think Selina is without her mask? What makes up her character and personality?

Without her mask, Selina is missing her spark and wild energy that is her Catwoman persona when she is out in the streets of Gotham.

• As she witnesses Batman confronting Ridder in the streets below, Selina’s inner dialogue reveals that she lives between the black and white world of Batman–in the “shades of grey” between right and wrong. Who’s approach to criminality do you agree with more? The black and white world of Batman, or the “good people forced into bad situations” approach of Selina? Why do you feel this way?

I agree more with good people forced into bad situations. I know a lot of people that could relate to this.

• What do you think the old Catwoman suit represents for Selina? What about the new Catwoman suit?

I love the new Catwoman suit with the goggles and leather! It looks more detailed and stylish than the old purple suit.

• After seeing her new suit, Batman tells Catwoman that “no matter what”, he still believes she is a good person. How does this align with Batman’s general approach to fighting crime? Does this seem contradictory to you, or does it check out?

I think Batman and Catwoman are similar as they don’t use guns and don’t kill criminals.

• After finishing this first book, what would you say motivates Selina? What is her cause ?

I think she wants to help people like her friend Holly who are in poor situations get out of them and be a better part of themselves.

2 Likes

Got it. Thanks!

4 Likes
  1. Early on this story, it was a little hard for me to tell who Selina is without the mask (which I think is intentional, since she’s having a hard time telling that herself). My impression is that she’s someone who started off committing crimes to help others, but has lost her focus on that some along the way.
  2. I think it’s there’s something to both views, really. It kind of depends on the crime and the criminal. I think a lot of the lower level criminals might be doing what they are because they feel they have no choice, but what they’re doing is wrong. And for most of the costumed villains, I think a more black and white view fits, since they seem to be totally fine hurting and killing innocent people.
  3. I think it’s a change in direction, or maybe getting back on track to helping people who are in need. It’s stated that it’s more practical than her previous outfit. I feel like she’s maybe focusing less on the fun and thrill that her older costume seemed to be about (it looks more like a Halloween costume, to me at least), and being more functional and practical.
  4. I think overall she’s a good person, but I do think that Bruce’s view and opinion of her is a little bit biased by his attraction and affection for her. I’ve seen several other instances where he seems more willing to judge criminals immediately, and just label them as “bad”, essentially. I feel like there might be other criminals and villains he’s fought that he might say are good people, if he took the time to get to know them that he has with Selina. I do think this is also part of him being an optimist and hoping for the best for her.
  5. I would say her motivation is helping people that are overlooked, either by the police or Batman.
3 Likes

This week’s DC Book Club discussion questions are posted!

6 Likes

Thank you thank you! Don’t mind if I doooo :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Note to anyone reading: Don’t be afraid of sharing whatever thoughts you have regarding the reading! & You definitely don’t need to feel pressured to answer every question we’ve posted!

Now, let’s see… ah, yes, Catwoman. This has honestly painted Catwoman in a different light for me and I’m really enjoying her inner monologue because it makes her feel so… real.

1. How do you think Catwoman can change the trajectory of Gotham? Can she really do enough good to impact the city’s fate, or is Gotham lost forever to crime and corruption?

Well, part of me wants to be pessimistic and say, yeah, Gotham is pretty much done for good and will probably never change… but then I’m reminded that, sometimes, it takes just one person to begin to move a mountain. Maybe they can’t move the mountain entirely on their lonesome, but they can inspire others to join their cause and only together, with the strength of others and unity in hand, can the mountain truly be moved in a meaningful way. So, while that pessimistic part of me will always say no way, the inspired and hopeful part of me says you know what? Just maybe. I want to choose to believe that Gotham can be a better place, because that power of choice in positivity and hope is something that I want to pervade my real life outside of comics as well. So… maybe Catwoman can truly begin to change the trajectory of Gotham by being that spark, that catalyst that ignites hope and inspires others to join the cause to move the mountain.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

4 Likes

I think she is a woman trying to figure out who both of her personas are they are. In the book batman and psychology a dark and stormy night, the author brings forth the view that the real Bruce Wayne is the guy sitting at the bat computer in the batsuit, without the cowl and gloves. I feel that like bruce the real Selina is only shown when she is only half in her costume (minus cowl and gloves) or has the cowl pulled down.(or cuddling with Bruce/Batman :smile_cat:)

Personally, I don’t think bruce views the world in black and white when it comes to criminals. I feel he sees it more sinners and redeemed, and that redemption comes through the catholic view of faith and works instead of the protestant view of faith alone. Because if he saw it in such black and white turms he would have started killing long ago. so the many shades of gray aproch is more Batman. but his is more complex is what i am trying to say.

The old suit is how she got lost in the thrill and started to only care about herself, the new suit a vow to not get lost in the thrill. to remember that she cares about others. and may have based it on the creatures in her knightmare.

No, it’s not contradictory, as Batman sees it as her trying to earn her redemption.

She wants to help those people who have been lost in the gray.

2 Likes
  1. It sure seems that way. I think a big reason for this is just simple storytelling, since having Catwoman and Batman run around fighting crime in a city where the worst crimes were things like jaywalking and littering would be a very, very different kind of story. But also, it can be very hard for cities like Gotham to change completely, especially in one lifetime.
  2. I think Selina would be better off focusing on the smaller scale, on helping individuals rather than trying to change Gotham itself. That’s a big task for any one person, especially for someone who isn’t trying to be a symbol like Batman. But she can absolutely save and change individual lives, which is extremely important and worth fighting for.
  3. I think she cares so much because she’s been where they are and knows how it feels. It’s similar to Bruce’s motivations, although she seems to be focusing more on helping the victims than punishing the villains.
  4. It definitely makes things harder. It doesn’t seem like a scenario that you see in a lot of superhero comics where the hero ties up a villain and leaves them for the police would necessarily work, since it seems like there’s a good chance the police would be on the villain’s payroll.
  5. From what I can tell, it’s protecting people who aren’t being protected by Batman/other superheroes or the police.
4 Likes

Week 3’s questions have been added! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve resubscribe, my apologies for being late with this. Can’t wait to read it and write about the book I’ve read. :grinning:

:0_book_club:

5 Likes

No need to apologize at all! Can’t wait to see what you’ve got to say about it :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ve read the first Catwoman book today. Love the artstyle, it reminds me of Justice League: The Final Frontier. :slightly_smiling_face:
Here’s my answer to your week 1 questions…

1. Without her mask, I see Selina as her second chance to live a better life, wanting a fresh start after all she been through.

2. I’ve gotta go with Selina, cause she did save Batman’s life. But still, shouldn’t take law in your hand unless it’s self defense or to save a person.

3. Love the artstyle of Selina throwing away her old costume, her new costume looks alot better, I can see why Harley Quinn Animated Series copy the look, cause it look awesome on her.

4. I think Batman is hoping that she’ll change to a better person, true changing into a new costume doesn’t change a thing that she did in the past. Think he’s hoping she gets a fresh start.

5. With her friend was either missing or dead, she wants to bring that criminal to justice.

Looking forward to reading the second book. :grinning:
:catwoman_hv_1:

2 Likes