OFFICE HOURS VOL II: Ask DC Universe Your Questions Every Tuesday Night!

True story, they did a Winnie the Pooh themed cookbook at one point and gave it the single worst title ever, Cooking with Pooh…

7 Likes

Professor Russell Johnson was in the MST3K film as well as an episode of Wonder Woman. See how it all fits together perfectly?

7 Likes

We’ll agree to disagree. :slight_smile:

While Wonder Woman was a childhood favorite of mine (I watched it on FX, yes the FX that’s home to Nip/Tuck, Archer, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia and the like), MST was not only a childhood favorite as well, but it taught me an immeasurable amount about various aspects of filmmaking, both good and bad, which is something that has factored into my professional life/aspirations/ goals.

When someone says “Generic Hollywood Blockbuster #1,941 was the worst movie, ever!”, I can reply with “Nope, not even remotely close. For starters, see Invasion of the Neptune Men. It’s not the worst ever, but it is an incomprehensibly stupid movie full of annoying characters, awful editing, stupefying production design, laughable “aliens” and a “plot” (calling the story of that movie a “plot” is a stretch that would tax both Plastic Man and Elongated Man) that is bewildering.”, all thanks to the fine folks aboard the Satellite of Love and down in Deep 13.

Plus, MST is just ******* hilarious, and I love a good giggle/chuckle.

“People always compare this movie to Ben-Hur.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yeah. They say ‘Ben-Hur is really great, while this movie really sucks.’”

Why spend money to go to film school, when one can just binge MST (along with The Film Crew, Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic) and record worthwhile notes to your mind and/or paper, which can then be put to real, substantial use upon meeting folks who also share an interest in film production and the like? :man_shrugging: :nerd_face:

Want to write songs for the movies and TV? Look below:

:notes: “Veins clogging, heart pumping!” :notes:

:notes: “Mitchell!” :notes:

Any aspiring filmmaker should know to always make sure production equipment is out of frame before filming commences, otherwise you get:

“Whoop, boom mike, big time.”

See, TV can teach you valuable experiences. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I :vhs: recorded the Wonder Woman episodes off fX because I loved it so much and had not seen them in nearly 10 years at that point. Wonder Woman leaving the air was my catalyst for personally recording many shows on :vhs: because I never wanted to be without them again. However, I’m actually old enough to remember watching the episode “The Boy Who Knew Her Secret” as it aired on CBS. I even remember the house 5 year old me watched it in. In other words, WW got about a 20 year head start on MST3K for me.

7 Likes

I remember the house where 5 year-old me got his start with action figure collecting.

It was the same one where my dad told me about the Ghostbusters movie being on TV one night. Upon hearing this, I lit up like a Christmas tree, saying “There’s a Ghostbusters movie?! With real people? Cool!”. Needless to say, he fetched a blank :vhs: while I waited with baited breath to hit Record. As the movie recorded, we watched my very first Bill Murray movie (you always remember your first).

You see, I’d only known of the Ghostbusters property through The Real Ghostbusters (which is easily the best Ghostbusters TV show of all time), so hearing of the existence of a live action movie blew my mind oh so fine, hey Mickey! does a double clap

Conversely, while I’m a huge Filmation fan (especially of their DC catalog, along with He-Man and the Masters of the Universe and other shows), their Ghost Busters (not a typo, their GB is two separate words, unlike TRG and it’s related entertainment) just blew.

Few things can beat a solid cartoon based on a solid movie that was voiced by a solid cast and written by solid writers (including J. Michael Stracyznski) and featured toys by the best toy company ever.

In the end, the lesson of this late-night ramble is always “That’s a big Twinkie.”

begins humming Run-DMC’s Ghostbusters II song

7 Likes

That’s right, RJ was on Wonder Woman! I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder.

You’re quite correct, it does all fit. Like :notes: “a three hour tour in the not-too-distant future” :notes: one could say.

7 Likes

Yeah :smile: I don’t think I will be able to make it tonight either

7 Likes

We’ve come to the Lou Gramm hour of the night.

8 Likes

OK, I lied, I do have a question this week after all:

The highlighted community threads that appear on dccomics.com:

Are these selected by an actual human, or are they generated automatically based on thread activity (or some other factor)?

8 Likes

Trust me, you’re better off not remembering. :slight_smile:

Per your Troma inquiry, the only thing they’ve done that I liked was the Toxic Crusaders TV series. I absolutely applaud Lloyd Kaufman’s spirit of independence, but most of the Troma movies I’ve seen are gross and off-putting.

points out that while he wrote of a Troma dislike above, he has an idea that Troma would likely love

My idea is right up their alley, too. Its bizarre, funny and over the top in every Troma way.

7 Likes

Unparalleled @Applejack! :hugs: I am rushing to inform you that last night’s Crew WAL was super successful with nearly 900 posts, but also from a technical standpoint it felt pretty fluid to me. Personally, I did not experience many freeze-ups, there were a few minor times when I would refresh the page more so out of habit and one new comment would pop up, or sometimes I would get an error 429, I believe, when I was liking things too aggressively!

Speaking of aggressively liking things! I have discovered a new obsession that I’m anxious to share with y’all. Does anyone speak German? Well, I recently discovered this German series of family films about a young girl and a horse and it’s incredibly sweet and wholesome! It’s called Windstorm (Ostwind in German). There are four movies out now, with a fifth and final one in this epic saga due out this year (was supposed to come out in 2020, but… Q-tine).

Sadly, only the first and, weirdly, third movie are available to stream, they’re free on Tubi. Why don’t they have all four, makes no sense! The second movie can be rented at the usual digital places, and I can’t find the fourth anywhere…

Happy viewing! :hugs: :purple_heart: :horse:

8 Likes

I feel scammed I thought paying with PayPal the first time was not gonna gift me the code so I made a new acc useing didt card.still no code plz help me get my code

4 Likes

If you have a DC Universe Infinite subscription, and read Batman/Fortnite #1 on the DCUI app, they’ll send you a email with a code. Hope that help.:slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

@Vroom You’re in luck- I needed groceries today! I saw they do indeed have individual bottles. I got this (I eat a lot mandarins & tangerines, okay! lol :wink:)

Anyway. WHEN I have one these bad boys, I’ll squeeze a tangerine in it. :ok_hand: Or a bit of cranberry. It’s lovely. I’ve put some in a slurpee before—that’s good too. ‘If you don’t like it, you can always fix it’—That’s my motto! :sunglasses:

As for Nemo: :raised_hands:
Story: I still sometimes pronounce escape as es-cop-pay. Although, I grew up around accents, so I’ve mispronunced things on purpose to tease my family for most of my life.:smile_cat: I do lean a bit more toward Inside Out and Monsters Inc, tho. Those are…yep, those are my Top 3 Pixar. :purple_heart:

10 Likes

Glorious!

10 Likes

Inside Out is great. Have you seen Soul, yet?

7 Likes

Okay, your turn, Applejack!

Greetings, Captain!
How are you this evening? Good, I hope. So! I think I may’ve exhausted my allotment of Qs on frivolous things this week like candy & movie ratings, so I’ll save my actual questions (When is DCUI “expanding”?, etc) for later tonight/nxt week, and instead: :face_with_monocle: I bring you information, madam!
Here’s a charming little track while you do the Typer. (Still on TVOR from yesterday, & yaay!! ‘Dear Science’ is on! :raised_hands: Hope the MTM relaunch is going well, btw.)

FIRST, real quick- I keep forgetting that statue!!

Haven’t put her in her permanent home yet, but :star_struck: I had to make sure nothing was broken…and admire it, of course. Thank you, again, for the suggestion! :purple_heart:

Okay, now this:

That Swedish Crime Doc, Pray.Obey.Kill.
I don’t want to say too much, but I’ll say this: seems cut n’ dry at first, but…it’s not. I vote it’s worth a watch. :+1: Hopefully subtitles aren’t an obstacle. I think we’ve possibly discussed foreign films before, tho—prbly FINE, yeah?

https://www.hbo.com/pray-obey-kill

I’m also enjoying The Nevers so far. (Suddenly remembers @Mae might have mentioned this months ago :thinking:). Definitely a Joss Whedon show. Weird, mysterious, actiony, funny at times, the right amount of disturbing—my kinda thing! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I yelled at the TV this week, so clearly I’m invested. I say go for it! Slightly off topic: Have you seen Promising Young Woman?

Also. In case no one believed me :raccoon:

Dudes, she followed me on a walk the other night- we might already be bffs! :laughing::purple_heart: Have a great week.

9 Likes

I have! I liked it! It’s wasn’t as…emotionally manipulative :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: as other Pixar, so I kept waiting for something to sucker punch me, but it never came. You? Applejack? (Anyone?) Or does Captain want a game tonight? You’ve had a long week, don’t want to put you on edge. :hugs::purple_heart:

Tell ya what! I can lurk and leave it for the beginning of next week! Another 2 truths and a lie? Or (one I enjoy for some weird reason??) poorly describe your last meal and I’ll guess what it is…or another True or False quiz!! Your pick, since you are the High Priestess of our coven. We voted. :wink:

7 Likes

:pleading_face:

She’s adorable! :hugs:

She obviously needs a bed and a blanket :purple_heart:

7 Likes

Right?! She’s a lot smaller than she looks, too, and she almost seems like she’s responding when I talk to her. :purple_heart: (of course :eyes: I talk to her!)

[edit] Almost forgot Cap’s weekly kitten…hi.

Okay, bye.

10 Likes