Oddest/Worst/WTF In-Universe Shipping/Couples

Supergirl and Mon-El from the CW show. Don’t get me wrong, anyone who’s seen enough of my comments probably knows I have a heavy bias toward Supercorp (Kara and Lena), but that doesn’t change the fact that Kara and Mon-El’s romance was absolutely horrible in its own right. How anyone ever thought that paring up this incredibly noble hero w/ a misogynistic slave owner was remotely a good idea is completely beyond me

The most common defenses I’ve seen of Mon-El is that he wasn’t actively contributing to the slave system on Daxam and that he ultimately became a much better person by season 3. But my retorts to those are that he still benefitted from Daxam’s slavery and never even recognized how wrong it was while he was there. And as far as his character “development”, sure, we do see him make some decent improvements over the course of season 2, but he still has a ways to go. But rather than taking more time and effort to truly redeem him, they just take 7 years’ worth of improvements and sneeze it out via a time jump for him. I could never buy into his full heroic change as Valor because we didn’t get to see any of that transformation, and that’s key for getting invested in a character. So even after his big status quo chance, I still hated the idea of them getting back together. I’m glad they at least recognized he still wasn’t working and kicked him to the curb after season 3, but I’m also still bitter that so much screentime was wasted on this jackass

4 Likes

Now I got this song stuck in my head:

Anyway, the one that comes to mind that hasn’t come up yet is Barbara Gordon and Tim Drake in Batman: Arkham Knight. Just…WHY?!

4 Likes

They were not dating.

1 Like

Myself and Batgirl, Quinn and Ivy, Green Arrow and Black Canary, Deathstroke and Terra.

3 Likes

What’s bad about Arrow and Canary?

3 Likes

The constant cheating.

3 Likes

Harley/Ivy and Dinah/Ollie are 2 of the absolute best couples in DC

3 Likes

you’re right. i just looked into it…

whoops!

3 Likes

Of course I am right. I’m Batman.

3 Likes

This is going to be fun!

Give me a moment to think about it.

4 Likes

Not a fan of Batman and Catwoman. I prefer a Batman who’s only in a relationship with Gotham.

4 Likes

Batman and Talia al Ghul in Any universe that has Damian. You don’t just get back with the woman who sexually assaulted you and the fact that DC toyed with the idea is just gross.

5 Likes

I am married to Queen Watevra wa’nabi

3 Likes

It actually happened on accident. Grant Morrison was trying to retell an elseworlds story by memory and for some reason thought batman got sexually assaulted in the story.

4 Likes

You know, people always say that, but it’s not really the case. The biggest instance people use as an example is Shado during the Mike Grell run of Green Arrow, but she forced herself on him when he was sick and unable to stop her. He didn’t cheat, he was sexually assaulted by her.

I just prefer to replace the origin that Morrison made with the one from Son of the Demon in my head instead.

4 Likes

Martian Manhunter is a character I always wanted to see find a romantic relationship and some writers did give him a few over the years. While they are interesting romantic pairings, they never felt right to me personally.

Fire:
While implied in the Ostrander books, Tom King gave us a strange explicit version in the Human target books and it’s… Weird

Hawkgirl:
Nothing in theory should be wrong with Kendra Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter. They both are semi-immortal beings, great friends, and get a kid from another reality who is super adorable.

I guess the problem is that the relationship really sounds great in theory but honestly falls flat in practice and doesn’t get a chance to go anywhere. It’s as interesting as any casual flings can get.

Aubrey/ Scorch

Another fire relationship that at least has a bit more flair(no pun intended) with Martian Manhunter learning from Audrey and both being anchors to their emotions. The problem becomes when Martian Manhunter became the burning Martian. He and her were as dangerous as they were toxic, and Audrey did the right thing and ended their short affair.

The worst relationship is definitely one when their is some fire involved :upside_down_face:.

These relationships give me a pretty good prospective that Martian Manhunter shouldn’t really fall in love with other people.

Relationships for the Martian Manhunter only really exists in platitudes now and are inherently platonic.

His deceased wife M’yri’ah J’onzz and his daughter K’hym J’onzz are part of his story. His family will be his most important love.

Officer Diane Meade
His likely first human companion and the few consistent friendship he had with someone who wasn’t a superhero. While sometimes teased as a possible love interest, since she’s been recontextualized as a closeted lesbain in the last Martian Manhunter books, it’s likely they will remain as friends.
Screenshot_20220423-141711_Infinite

Gypsy/Cindy Reynolds
Their relationship in the pre-flashpoint era is a familial bond and never romantic, but it has always been a intimate friendship. J’onn doesn’t really have that kind of closeness with other people, especially in the Justice League.

And Chocos
Just… Chocos

6 Likes

I usually avoid shipping wars, but I’ve never been a fan of Slade/Terra, Batman/Batgirl, Batman/Talia, or Joker/Harley. I’m sure there are others but those are the ones that stick out to me right now.

6 Likes

I guess when writers get the idea to give J’onn a romantic partner, having them be related to fire is an intriguing one, since that is his weakness. The Hawkgirl one had potential, but I think by that point Snyder was more focused on his overall plot leading up to Death Metal to really do any character/couple building to make it stick.

5 Likes

In my fanfic head cannon, I ship him with Rita Farr. Plus we could see him team up with Beastboy, having him as a sidekick. I’ve always felt those green guys get overlooked.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @AnimalMan84k3r!