Oddest/Worst/WTF In-Universe Shipping/Couples

I’d say topping the list of WTF would be Tara+Deathstroke… Although the short lived Batman+Batgirl relationship always gave me the heebie jeebies.

8 Likes

Joker/Harley Quinn really creeps me out as a ship. It’s overtly psychological and implicitly physical abuse.

8 Likes

Offhand…I guess I’d go for Slade and Tara.

4 Likes

I’d put Deathstroke/Terra in second place…

…right behind Hal Jordan/Arisia Raab.

6 Likes

Another weird one was Tim Drake’s Robin+Annie/Clayface’s “daughter”

4 Likes

Never liked BB and Raven.

4 Likes

OLICITY OMG

10 Likes

I have to agree with Deathstroke/Slade and Terra/ Tara

4 Likes

I’d have to agree with Olicity. Just… What on earth?

7 Likes

Olicity. It ruined Felicity’s character by changing her from sassy and independent to whiny and clingy.

8 Likes

I’d go with Olicity but on the basis that it was a wrench in the gears of the GA/Black Canary relationship.

Oliver Queen’s one true love is Dinah Lance, not Felicity Smoak. I’m fine with changing up relationships to keep audiences engaged in the material along the way. Totally fine with it. But at the end of the day it’s “Oli and Dinah Forever”, not “Oli and Shrilicity When It Works For The Show”. Felicity is one of the reasons I stopped watching Arrow.

10 Likes

Olicity followed by Beast Boy-Raven. Batman and Catwoman kind of bothers me. Especially Golden Age. Crime is wrong in Batman s eyes but he is giving a jewel thief free passes because she’s hot? For the often mentioned ones… Tara is a messed up kid, Slade is evil and a master manipulator. Is the relationship wrong? Absolutely. But I found it extremely realistic. Batman and Batgirl (she being of legal consent) I was semi-ok with because it was canon at the time of the 80s that she had a major crush on Batman. I think the film makers tried to give Barbara a moment of happiness before things got incredibly dark. She got the guy she wanted for most of her post puberty life for one night.

4 Likes

Batman/Batgirl is wrong in oh so many ways.

6 Likes

Hal and Arisia was icky, regardless of her being however many 100s of earth years old per Johns run.

The only Batman/Batgirl relationship I saw in comics were in elseworlds or alternate settings/timelines (e.g. zero hour). Did anything ever actually happen? I don’t recall Barbara ever majorly crushing on Bruce, just acknowledging that he was attractive, let alone anything ever happening between them. (I actually can’t stand some of the animated stuff because of this.)

Olicity… yeah, I liked Oliver and Felicity well enough as friends and teammates before their romantic relationship became a focus and other (more interesting IMO) characters got sidelined.

And now Tara and Deathstroke apparently… yeesh

9 Likes

Personally I think Tom King made Batman/Catwoman work, in that their wildly divergent natures are what draws them together. Like Selina is everything Bruce was missing in himself. I think they’d work as just BFFs, though.

4 Likes

In the eighties especially the secret origins issue basically the whole reason she was Batgirl and not Robingirl is that who she had eyes on. There is also a line in there about the only reason she dated Robin was to bide time. Keep in mind in 1980s Secret Origins was there to map out post crisis DC. And was extreme cannon at the time. Batgirl was basically in comics limbo prior to Killing Joke so they came out with a special and secret origins to be basically her swan song.

1 Like

Batwoman and Nocturna.
The vampire hypnotizes Batwoman to leave her girlfriend and then seduces her. It doesn’t seem like there’s any consent.

4 Likes

damijon

3 Likes

If the reference is Secret Origins #20, Barbara wanted to be a hero before she ever met Batman, and joked about being Supergirl and Batgirl with a childhood friend. She met Batman through Jim, thought Batman was awesome, and started training to really be a hero. The way I read the comic, most of Barbara’s tale involves wanting t be a hero and having a hero worship type relationship with Batman. She even grumbles that he treated her like a child and was cruel, when she first met him as Batgirl. On one panel, she talks about flirting with Robin (not dating), but that he was young, and that Batman was on her mind. On the next panel, she questions if he’s the reason she goes around as Batgirl, then wonders if she knows who he is. The story then jumps to the face she can’t remember - Cormorant. The first panel seems to reference Batman Family 10, which shows Barbara thinking that Robin is fun and cute with a crush on her, but young (25 to 19, I think). The second likely references the memory wipe of Batman and Robin’s identities (Det. Comics 489). Personally, I don’t see this as a major crush or (in any way) an actual romantic relationship between the Bats. Two panels indicate that she thought about Batman and the mystery surrounding him, so maybe she considered whether hero fascination blended into a crush, while her memories were partially missing? Eh, I reject the Bat/Bat ship unless it still involves Dick and Babs (which also happens in various universes and timelines). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

IDK if this counts as in-universe or not, but Oliver Queen and Mia Deardan’s relationship in Smallville grossed me out. I mean there’s Ollie is supposed to be this great hero, but he dates a prostitute?!?!?!

1 Like