Obscurity of DC Presents: Obscure Book Club, Week 94 (January 21-January 27) --- PAGAN!

Why hello there, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Week 94 of Obscurity of DC’s Obscure Book Club! This week will be a mini, and we’ll be focusing on…

PAGAN!!!
AGE SUGGESTION: 12+

Number of Issues: 2

Description from dc.fandom.com: [Marian Mercer AKA] Pagan is a Gotham City vigilante and ally of Joe Public and Batman.

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. “Pagan” is typically a religious term, its meaning closely resembling that of “heathen.” Of all the words she could’ve used as her codename, why do you think Marian used a religious word like “pagan?”
  2. When confronted by Batman, Pagan says “she’s [Marian’s] dead– buried in the same grave as Sondra [her sister]!” What do you think she means by this?
  3. Do you think Pagan is a hero, anti-hero, or villain? Explain.

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

3 Likes
  • My perspective is that given her hatred against sexual predators perhaps she wanted to embrace a moniker often used to describe heathenistic individuals. Using the name ironically to pursue actual barbarous men. Furthermore, Pagan could also be used as a personal defiance, using the name to reject conventional judeo christian ethics like believing all life is sacred to accept a more nihilistic worldview in her vigilantism.

• That Marian believes that her life should be completely devoted to vengeance and much like her sister she sees herself as dead to the world and will continue her mission to prey on predators.

• Anti-hero. Unsurprisingly given her actions, but I would call her a light anti-hero as she honestly is no less ruthless than that of Helena Bertinelli Huntress.

2 Likes

When I reading about Pagan and writing my answers. I was thinking about Pagan name, Marian Mercer and for some reason I was thinking about c’mon Marianne. Lol

2 Likes

This is an AMAZING response!

2 Likes