Obscurity of DC Presents: Obscure Book Club, Week 90 (December 24-December 30) --- ANTAGON!

Why hello there, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Week 90 of Obscurity of DC’s Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be focusing on…

ANTAGON!!!
AGE SUGGESTION: 15+

Number of Issues: 5

Description from dc.fandom.com: The Antagon was a force of nature, considered to be the “dark side” of the Red, the elemental force that governs all animal life, including humans.

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. Why do you think Stone – or as Buddy so ignorantly called him, the Indian – decided to awaken Antagon, especially if he couldn’t hurt anyone in his dormant state?
  2. Why do you think B’wana Beast succumbed to Antagon’s calls, when the other heroes were immune?
  3. The Animal Masters banished Antagon ten-million years ago, but they trapped him in a cocoon on Earth. Why do you think the Animal Masters allowed Antagon to stay on Earth, despite knowing its danger?
  4. Unlike most supervillains, Antagon doesn’t seem to have any reason to be evil, yet it chooses a life of villainy anway. Do you think this makes Antagon more compelling, or less compelling? Explain.
  5. Why do you think Buddy was so quick to forget about Antagon after their first meeting?

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

1 Like

Looks interesting!

I hate to ask this, but…1. is it villainous? And 2. Can I add it to my villain list.

1 Like

Yes and yes lol!

1 Like

I believe he wanted to kill Antagon but couldn’t because he needed to Buddy to do it because he was a Animal Master. But he wasn’t strong enough and clearly wasn’t the only one needed.

After giving up his powers and identity. He became lost without it until he realized the power of Antagon and accepted it’s corruption.

Well it didn’t. Antagon was actually the one who shrank itself and hid under the ocean. (Was this a trick? :laughing:)

Villains like Antagon are not necessarily evil or possess the hallmarks that most villains have. Antagon is a dark reflection of something positive. The Red. It embodies evil qualities but it’s villainy is more part of it’s natural nature.

When he was young. Either Stone likely made Buddy forget about the experience for when he was ready or perhaps because I think if I read to deeply into it. Buddy who was less heroic intentionally shut out that part of him because getting used to these powers and it was too much for him.

2 Likes

Great answers!

1 Like