Obscurity of DC Presents: Month of Obscurity, Month 22/Month of Ultra-bscurity, Month 1 (January) --- THE INVISIBLES!

Heya @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to the twenty-second MONTH OF OBSCURITY and the very first MONTH OF ULTRA-BSCURITY! For the month of January, we will be focusing on…

THE INVISIBLES!!!
Age Suggestion: 17+

Number of Issues: 25 (Please only read the original series)

Description taken from dc.fandom.com: The Invisibles are a team of paranormal investigators who untangle a large conspiracy of psychic oppression. The team is a cell of The Invisible College, itself a secret organization, and consists of the leader King Mob and Boy, Jack Frost, Lord Fanny and Ragged Robin.

With that out of the way, here are some discussion questions:

1. The series has a mix of supernatural and political elements. How do you feel about the blending of these genres, and do you think it adds to or complicates the storytelling? Explain.
  2. “The Invisibles” explores themes of identity, reality, and rebellion. How do you think these themes are reflected in the characters and their journeys?
  3. Grant Morrison (who created The Invisibles) often incorporates philosophical and occult concepts into their work. Which of these concepts stood out to you in “The Invisibles,” and how do they contribute to the overall narrative?
  4. The art style evolves throughout the series. How did the changing artistic approach impact your reading experience, and which era of the artwork resonated with you the most?
  5. Who is your favorite member of The Invisibles? Why?

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, Obscurity of DC is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

9 Likes

The Invisibles…the comic that Grant Morrison claimed in 1999 was what The Matrix was a rip-off of.

The Matrix didn’t rip-off The Invisibles, but both are indeed “Whoa.”-inducing and then some.

5 Likes

They are both incredible!

5 Likes

Me trying to avoid the invisibles. :laughing:

PCtq2Bc

For the record, I definitely don’t hate hate the series, but I always found Grant Morrison books a challenge to read let alone to research about. I don’t mind it reading it, but…yeah. :sweat_smile:
friends-phoebe-buffay

5 Likes

Have you read his JLA or All-Star Superman?

As a big Morrison fan, I fully understand how some of their stuff can take a few attempts before one sits back and says “Oh, so that’s what they were going for.”

That said, JLA and All-Star Superman are pretty straight-forward reads that hook you and don’t let go until the credits roll.

5 Likes

Certain parts of JLA are odd, but you’re definitely write about stuff like All-Star Superman. I probably should have said “some Grant Morrison books.” :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Like The Green Lantern? :smile:

I love Hal Jordan. I love the Green Lantern property. I love out-there and wonderfully-odd science fiction. I love Heavy Metal (the rad magazine, which inspired the equally rad movie of the same name).

That said…geez, both “seasons” of TGL took a couple reads before I saw their emerald light as it was intended to be seen.

5 Likes