Hey @ObscurityofDCClub, @DoomPatrolClub, and everyone else on this amazing community! As some of you may know, a legend has recently fallen. The amazing Rachel Pollack has recently passed away from hodgkins lymphoma, a cancer in the immune system. Pollack has had an immense impact on several people both within and outside of the comic industry. She advocated for the rights of the trans community, women’s rights, and Jewish awareness. Pollack created the first-ever mainstream character to be openly transgender. That is who we will be focusing on for the next few weeks…
AGE SUGGESTION: 17+
Number of Issues: 6 (Please only read issues 70-75)
Description from wikipedia.com: Coagula is a transgender lesbian, former prostitute and programmer. After having sex with former Doom Patrol member Rebis (“an alchemical hermaphrodite”), Coagula gained “alchemical powers the power to dissolve things on the one hand and coagulate them on the other hand.” She tried to join the Justice League, but “it’s implied that she was rejected in part for being an out transgender lesbian activist”; she instead joined the Doom Patrol. Coagula first appears in issue 70—“The Laughing Game”—defeating The Codpiece, a spurned man-turned-villain with a multifunctional, mechanical codpiece. After her introduction in the next few issues, Coagula takes center stage in “The Teiresias Wars”, a five-part story combining “Greek mythology with [Pollack’s] twisted retelling of the Tower of Babel”.
Onto the discussion questions:
- Coagulation is the transformation of an object or liquid into a semi-solid state. How do you think Kate’s powers of coagulating objects reflects her physical transformation from male to female?
- Why do you think Kate was so insistent that Niles call her Coagula instead of Kate?
- Why do you think Kate and Niles got on each others’ nerves so much?
- Throughout the series, we see Kate and Cliff form a strong bond with one another. Why do you think Kate was so drawn to Cliff as opposed to a different member of the team?
- In Kate’s first appearance she mentions she’s good with computers. Do you think that has anything to do with her newfound computer powers? Explain.
Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics?
Do you like pineapple on pizza?If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!
Do you an interest in the weird and wild? Do you enjoy the inexplicable? Do you find things like donkey-butt-portals intriguing? If so, the Doom Patrol Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!