Pride Profile: Coagula

:00_dc_pride:Pride Profile: Coagula. Created by transgender writer Rachel Pollack and given the name Kate Godwin after two of Pollacks transgender friends, Coagula is arguably the first true transgender superhero published by DC Comics. Coagula gained her ability to turn solids into liquids, and the reverse, after sleeping with Doom Patrol member Rebis (who you could argue is non-binary). She eventually joins the Patrol and adds a relationship with Robotman to her previous interest in women. The series also depicts Robotman dealing with the idea that his girlfriend is transgender. Although she was fridged by Doom Patrol’s next writer, Coagula deserves recognition as a truly ground breaking character.

Doom Patrol #70

11 Likes

Pride Month Club Discussions. Need a deeper look at other Pride characters? Check out these club discussions from across the DCUI.

World of Bats: Batwoman Elegy

Doom Patrol Pride Month

DC History Club: Supergirl: Being Super

DC History and Harley’s Crew: V for Vendetta

DC Book Club: Pride Month

Characters of DC: Midnighter and Apollo

Birds of Prey Club: Batwoman and Montoya

DC History Club: The Pride History of the DCU

World of Bats: Gotham Half a Life

House of Horror: The Low, Low Woods

Harley’s Crew: Harley and Ivy

5 Likes

Coagula was a really cool character. I was sad to see her story dropped. You start getting attached to characters and then the writer leaves.

3 Likes

Man, I really need to catch up on my Doom Patrol reading. Stopped near the middle of Morrison’s run but I need to get back into it, not just to finish it, but to see what Rachel did with the group after their departure.

…Wait. Didn’t John Byrne write the Doom Patrol next? Because that would explain a LOT.

5 Likes

Nope, Rachel Pollack finished the Morrison series, the John Arcudi relaunched in 2001for 20 issues, then Byrne in 04. Had to look it up.

3 Likes

You never know who’ll make a re-appearance with DC.

5 Likes

Been re-reading DP for a different kind of post, but I am rediscovering my fondness for Coagula. Still ticked off with the fact she was killed off and how that happened. Which is why I appreciate Unstoppable Doom Patrol for remembering her along with all the other team members that have passed on. I would love for her to find a way back. It wouldn’t be the first time that members of DP cheated death

5 Likes

I’m just seeing this thread now! Love that Kate’s getting more recognition! She’s my favorite DP character OAT!

5 Likes