New Comics Tuesday: What Did You Get

This topic can be used in the tradition of @Vroom’s weekly new comic topics. Instead of starting a new topic each week, I figured if we can all post on this one topic it will be like a time capsule of excitement and possible let-downs.

Books I picked up:
Justice League 65
Superman: Blue and Red 5
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow2
Superman and The Authority 1
Blue and Gold 1
The Flash 772

I have been really excited to get my grubby hands on Blue and Gold 1 and that will probably be the first book I read. There was a bit of a back and forth on Superman and The Authority on if I would buy it but at the end of the day, I decided I couldn’t wait for the DCUI drop to read more Grant Morrison Superman.

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow 1 had me excited for issue 2 and Superman: Red and Blue has been a great series. I am really enjoying these anthology books that have been coming out. Justice League has been a lot of fun and I am really enjoying this new team.

What books did you pick up and what are you most excited to read?

11 Likes

Blue and Gold

6 Likes

I got Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow 2 and
Superman and The Authority 1

I know its not for everyone, but I’m enjoying Tom King’s take on Supergirl.

And I LOVE me a Superman story written by Grant Morrison, and this one was no different. I’m already sad there are only a few more issues.

6 Likes
  • Superman Red & Blue #5
  • Superman & The Authority #1
  • Justice League #65

Superman & The Authority was a good start to the story. Glad it’s accessible Morrison, not brain twister Morrison. Justice League was pure fun, with a lot of action and a nod or two to the Super Friends cartoons that were a pleasant surprise. Superman Red & Blue I have not read yet, but it’s been a great read so far.

On the fence about the Supergirl series by King.

3 Likes

Thanks, @D4RK5TARZ! :+1:t2:

For the week of 7/20, I snagged:

Print:

• Superman and The Authority #1 (regular cover)
  • S&TA #1, Bryan Hitch variant
  • Blue and Gold #1

Digital:

• The Flash #772
  • Justice League #65
  • Nightwing #82
  • Shazam! #1

I’m just about to dig into Superman and The Authority #1. As that one onlooker in Metropolis said in Superman II, “This is gonna be good!:superman:

3 Likes

I got Blue and Gold.

4 Likes

Nightwing

4 Likes

I got

Superman & the Authority #1: pick of the week, “a finer world” where have I seen that before?
Superman: Red & Blue #5: best issue of the series so far
Justice League #65: bonus points for Zan turning into a bucket of water just so Batman can splash him on Aquaman
Nightwing #82: worst issue of Tom Taylor’s run, almost skippable
Flash #772: front half was boring, but picked up when Mr. Terrific arrived
Blue & Gold #1: about what I expected, very good art
Shazam!: much better than Teen Titans Academy from the same writer
Legends of the Dark Knight #3: pretty good arc to start with
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #2: when the highlight is a handwashing lesson, it is time to move on, dropped

6 Likes

Superman: Son of Kal-El (loving it),
Batman 110,
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow (fantabulous),
Infinite Frontier 1-3,
Darth Vader 14 and
Jupiter’s Legacy-Requiem-

4 Likes

Checkmate #2: you will not find out who Daemon Rose is in this issue as he never appears, read Justice League #65 instead

Detective Comics #1040: even the drunks know Batman’s secret ID these days, OK, nice to see Mora draw the 1970s Batman outfit

Robin #4: an old friend the fans demanded returns, Damian learns the force, all his “brothers” show up, another good and busy issue

Superman: Son of Kal-El #1:]I’m hoping Howard the Duck’s old villain, Status Quo, shows up and Jon also visits Damian, some secret island

Action Comics #1033: the USA vs. Atlantis part continues to be way more interesting than the slave ship part

Batman/ Superman #20: I want the Justice League: the Auteur.10 Cut, he’s way better than Snyder

Infinite Frontier #3: another good entry as the multiverse tries to go back to “normal”-Pick of the Week

4 Likes

I picked up most of the new DC books. I have read Superman: Son of Kal-El and really enjoyed it. The Huntress book is my most anticipated book but I have a weird feeling that Infinite Frontier 3 will be the book of the week.

4 Likes

Digital:

• Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom #3

I dig this mini. It’s been a fun read during the 50th anniversary of The New Gods and their associated characters.

Print:

• Action Comics #1033
  • Icon and Rocket: Season One #1 (Darryl Banks variant)
  • Infinite Frontier #3 (Bryan Hitch variant)
  • Superman: Son of Kal-El #1

I read Icon and Rocket #1 on DCUI early yesterday (Tuesday) morning, but I had to have the Darryl Banks variant, as it just pops magnificently (especially when seen in person):

The guy who rang me up at the comic store commented on how nice the above is. Definitely my Variant of the Week.

Infinite Frontier was solid, and Superman: Son of Kal-El…chef’s kiss…a :superman:uper read. :ok_hand:t2:

Between Nightwing and now Superman, Tom Taylor just might be my favorite writer ATM.

4 Likes

“New Fish” to kick August off with:

• Crime Syndicate #6
  • Green Lantern #5
  • Justice League #66
  • Suicide Squad #'s 5 and 6

It’s a team book kind of week.

3 Likes

Justice League #66
Crime Syndicate #6
Batman: The Adventures Continue Season II #3

but not until next Wednesday

3 Likes

Infinite Frontier 4

4 Likes

Okay to be clear, I try to avoid buying spanking brand new comics. I’m investing a mere $210 a year for three of the unlimited services and have more than enough, however…

The last day of my extended vacation we decided to swing by my buddy’s comic book store in Ithaca before Delta takes over the universe, and he was handing out flyers about Roger Stern doing a signing next week for his new comic book at Comics for Collectors in Ithaca, NY.

@JimboFett I made sure to mention to my buddy the owner Tim there about the rumor of Stern’s wife Camilla writing the 90s Legion stuff at times lol.

So anyway yesterday or so I went ahead and bought the digital new copy of this new comic that also has Sal Buscema doing the inking which I thought was pretty cool, I didn’t even know Sal was around anymore. The fact it is only $2.99 may have had something to do with my decision.

It’s dedicated to Bill Mantlo. I’m pretty sure most of the people on this comic have worked at DC quite a bit in the past.

This has a very Astro cities feel, it also reminds me of that Archie comic the Crusaders next generation that recently came out again.

(Note the Comics Code Authority stamp …are they even still around?)

Apologies @D4RK5TARZ if my mentioning something that’s not DC gives us kicked over to the Iceberg Lounge LOL. " how can part-time mods be so cruel?"

6 Likes

LOL That’s awesome! It would be interesting if that gets discussed at all.

I’d love to know if he has any insights in to why they sidelined Kinetix so much later in that run.

4 Likes

I just picked up the first TPB today of that book for $2.99 from Ollie’s.

The first week of the month has become horror comic day for me. I picked up the newest issues of Conjuring, Nice House on the Lake, The Swamp Thing, and American Vampire 1979. Non-horror releases include Crush and Lobo, Batman, and Justice League Infinity.

3 Likes

Justice League Infinity #2: fans of the cartoon should be jumping all over this
Batman '89 #1: LET’S GET NUTS!
Wonder Woman #777: back on the pull list for the multiverse trip
Justice League: The Last Ride #4
Batman and Scooby Doo Mysteries #5
Detective Comics #1041: back in blue!
Challenge of the Super Sons #5
Infinite Frontier #4

3 Likes

I picked up most of those (the ones not striked out).

I also picked up:
Batman: Urban Legends - 6
I Am Batman - 0
Hardware: Season 1 - 1
The Joker - 6

2 Likes