New Comics Tuesday: What Did You Get

Gets for 8/31/21:

• Aquaman 80th Anniversary one-shot
  • Infinite Frontier #5 (Hitch variant)
  • Midnighter Annual #1 (more people should be raving about Oeming’s Midnighter art)
  • Wonder Girl #3 (the wait was worth it)
4 Likes

Infinite Frontier #5
Batman/ Superman Annual #1

I’ll get them in a couple of weeks

4 Likes

Interesting you say that. At the comic shop this week we were talking about how much we didn’t like the art. However, it isn’t the artist’s fault and the art is actually fine. It is jarring after reading the Superman story to see the Midnighter art. The same thing applies to the Young Diana story in the back of Wonder Woman comics.

3 Likes

Have you read Action Comics #1033? No spoilers, but Oeming’s art in that one was a miracle Kirby would approve of.

3 Likes

I did but it still has the same problem of being a jarring experience. I did pick up the Midnighter annual with hopes that I won’t have the same experience.

3 Likes

I haven’t found it to be jarring read, but I’m also eager for any new Midnighter/Authority content at any time, so my eagerness for that probably overrides any initial disconnect I otherwise would have.

4 Likes

It is weird, I think Midnighter would fit better in a monthly anthology series, sort of like Batman Urban Legends and not as a back-up story. However, with that said, if DC is going to charge more money for comics I appreciate the back-up stories.

4 Likes

If they want to do an anthology titled WildStorm Universe and charge $7.99 for it every month, I will absolutely buy it.

4 Likes

This week’s new hotness:

• Blue and Gold #2
  • Green Lantern #6
  • Green Lantern 2021 Annual
  • Infinite Frontier #6 (Hitch variant)
  • Superman: Son of Kal-El #1 (second printing)
3 Likes

This week’s pulls!

2 Likes

to get next week

Bat/ Cat #7
Infinite Frontier #6
Justice League Infinity #3
Blue and Gold #2
Batman Knightwatch Bat Tech Extra Cheap Batman Day Comic #1
Suicide Squad Annual #1 which better be 90% Conner

and

Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters #4

add in eleven comics scheduled for next week and I’ll have twenty to read

4 Likes
  • Batman '89 #2
  • Batman/Fortnite: Zero Point Batman Day SE
  • Batman: Knightwatch: BDSE
  • Justice League #67 (regular and variant covers)
  • Superman and The Authority #3 (both covers)
3 Likes

Batman and Scooby Doo Mysteries #6
Batman '89 #2
Challenge of the Super Sons #6
Justice League #67
Justice League: The Last Ride #5
Superman an the Authority #3
Titans United #1
Wonder Woman #779

and

Darth Vader #16
Jupiter’s Legacy Requiem #4

3 Likes

and now for some comments

Batman & Scooby Doo: Detective Harris is the father of Wendy Harris, you may have seen her before

Batman '89: so Tim Drake invented Rockauto.com five years earlier in this timeline

Superman and the Authority: if this Superman started decades ago, it makes sense for his oldest enemy to show up

Titans United: bonus points for Connor socking Jason in the jaw

Suicide Squad Annual: or is the Superboy in the t-shirt someone else?

Wonder Woman: dropped again, but I did get Wonder Mite and a Jumpa cameo in the last two issues

Infinite Frontier: Barry gets to go back home, now we need everyone else to follow and get DC to set their comics there. I’m with the villains, Earth 0 needs to go.

Batman Knightwatch: Mike & Kelley’s Pizza for Mike Parobeck and Kelley Puckett of Batman Adventures comic fame.

3 Likes

This is a great idea @D4RK5TARZ. :+1:t3:

Gonna share my comic shop pick-ups here for sure.

3 Likes

@xLOVEandDoomPatrolx I can’t wait to see what you got.

3 Likes

This week I picked up:

Also picked up Stray Dog tpb, WW 80th hardcover, and the Catwoman Batman Adventures digest sized tpb.

3 Likes

I love digest-size books, and had no idea that book was in that size. I might have to look into that one.

2 Likes

All of the recent animated based comic collections have been that size. I thing they are appealing to manga fans.

3 Likes

Well, I might have to look into those.

DC had a line of DCAU (and other animated fare, such as The Batman and Scooby-Doo) digests many years ago (nearly 20, depending on the title) but they’re long OOP.

There’s also some digests from the early '70s or so, which were in black and white. Think the Showcase Presents format, but much smaller (in terms of actual book size, as well as content per volume).

3 Likes