Musical References in DC

Tales Of The Legion #319: The Beatles.

Superman Red & Blue #1: Peggy Lee- Sing A Rainbow.

@LastSon0fMars @Green.Lantern @Shayera.Hol @Barrys.Better.Half etc etc. can anyone unlock me by posting literally anything, please? No rush at all. Also, can we consider not having a cap limit on ones like this? I’ve asked a bunch b4. Nobody even really does this one besides me & a few others. I get locked out of this one & Out Of Context Chaos the most. I get why there should be a limit. But, exceptions should be made on ones like this…i.e. ones that nobody else really does anyways. I usually ask other members to unlock me, but I’m done bugging them. They didn’t make the 20 limit cap. That sounded angry but I promise I’m not :joy:. Just makes sense that if I’m being locked out constantly on a thread for discovering things- with nobody else posting, in between 100 in a row, having to ask other members 5x’s. Obviously nobody else cares or I wouldn’t be able to post 100 in a row. I love this thread. I think it’s the perfect exception to the rule…? Either way ty for the ear. Hope I didn’t bother anyone…

Static #21: Elvis & The Batman theme song.

The New Teen Titans Annual #2: New York, New York (On The Town)- Bernstein etc. sung by Gene Kelley Frank Sinatra.

The New Teen Titans Annual #2: There’s A Hole In My Bucket- Harry Belafonte & Odetta.

@staticshocks ??? Is there anybody out there, out there … out there?

2 Likes

Hey @capo-mage, I’m sorry that no one posted here until now. I’ll bring this issue up again to see if there’s anything we can do about keeping threads like these unlocked. Feel free to reach out to the moderator team if you need further assistance. :slight_smile:

For the record, I love threads like this - it just so happens most of the references I’m able to spot are already posted! It encourages me to pay closer attention to what I’m reading and it’s always great to find something that isn’t posted yet. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Keep up the great work!

3 Likes

Doom Patrol series. Won’t do this much. Considering he wears 3-4 rock (almost always punk) shirts per episode. But I liked these 3.
The Toadies (one hit wonders but what a hit)

Rancid (Hooligans album T).

D Generation album No Lunch (Cleveland import Cars frontman Ric Ocasek one of my favorite evers, band he manages).

2 Likes

Harry & Odetta was the first charting English language version, but it’s based on a German folk song, Bergliederbüchlein, that predates their births by about 230 years. Belafonte was an ace at popularizing such classics. :00_steel:

These guys played my college back in 95 or 96. I convinced them to do an interview and live set at the radio station and almost witnessed Jesse Malin’s death as he tried to box jump on to our file cabinets while wearing 5" heels.

2 Likes

That’s unreal haha. I’m glad I decided to post em. I wasn’t going to, glad I did cuz it led to that story. Interesting facts on Hole in the Bucket (I don’t do research cuz I always think I know who it was. Guess I should start checking) there’s also Spearhead’s version but there was a rap version in the 90’s of it too. I can’t remember who it was…? Oh & I have a better Rancid shirt than Cliff btw.

2 Likes

Man, how have I gone my whole life without hearing that?! THANK YOU!

The only versions I knew besides Belafonte & Holmes are Burl Ives, Sesame Street, and of course Chumbawamba’s Knickers :smiley: … and now I’ve found a crazy 1984 German Smurfs version!

The internet will not find this for me. Keeps circling back to try and convince me Franti is rap. (Was kind of hoping to find an old Disposable Heroes version…) Let me know if you find it.

I think everyone has a better Rancid shirt than Cliff. It’s like they went to the Hot Topic clearance rack for costuming.

1 Like

I love Spearhead. Franti is an amazing frontman. There was a Coachella concert on music channel (Idk what channel it would be where u are? Here it’s just called the music channel) & it was awesome. I saved it forever. Spearhead was one of the 1st performances.

:joy::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl: absolutely true. I was so proud of my Rancid shirt until u said that lol.

1 Like

Resurrection Man #1: Lady GaGa.

1 Like

Resurrection Man #9: The Girl From Ipanema. Do artist this way so bases are covered lol.

2 Likes

Resurrection Man #9: I Can’t Go for That (No Can Do)- Hall & Oates.

Love is A Battlefield- Pat Benatar.

2 Likes

Resurrection Man (1997’) #6: (You’re The) Devil in Disguise- Elvis Presley. (Never written by, as with any Elvis song, but he’s credited for making it famous.)

2 Likes

Resurrection Man #9: John Lennon.

2 Likes

Resurrection Man #13: The Candy Man (Candyman in the pic)- Sammy Davis Jr. Originally in Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory.

2 Likes

A, I was just listening to this the other day. Love the entire Gilberto & Getz album. (And Vol 2 and Best of Both Worlds … and João) One of the all time great ballers from start to finish. See also Sketches of Spain
B, I love that João Gilberto gets zero credit for the song/recording in that snippet answer. The Gilberto/Getz/Gilberto love triangle is probably one of the all time great love triangles in music history, too.
C, Random fact … Norman Gimbel, who wrote the English lyrics (which arguably made Astrud Gilberto a name, and popularized Bossa Nova to the world outside Brazil), also wrote Killing Me Softly.
D, I still need to read Resurrection Man. How do I keep losing track of this fact?

1 Like

That’s awesome :sunglasses:. Ty for all of that incredible info. I never researched it b4. But I would’ve gone straight to The Fugees if I saw Killing Them Softly referenced. Great stuff. Your musical knowledge is extremely impressive. Especially for a music fan like me!!!

P.S. on the same wavelength with u on Resurrection Man. Thanks to @D4RK5TARZ & @LaserPuff, I finally got to it when they posted it for the Horror Club. I did the 2007’ 1st. Now I’m on the 97’. I’d read the short Peter David Supergirl/ Resurrection Man crossover b4. But only the Supergirl half. The Resurrection Man half wasn’t on here at the time I read David’s SG. Was happy I got to read it in it’s entirety & catch all of it in context.

3 Likes

The Blood Syndicate #15: P.M. Dawn poster.

Hardware #21: Sidewalks of New York- Grateful Dead.

2 Likes

Hardware #21: Soul Train.

Girls Just Want To Have Fun- Cyndi Lauper.

1 Like

DC Horror Presents: The Conjuring: The Lover #2: Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd & The Jackson Five.

1 Like

I responded to this in the moderators message board, cuz I didn’t wanna use up a space here & cut into the 20 max limit. But I realized today that they sent that DM to the tech squad immediately so u probably never saw it. Just wanted to make sure u didn’t think I snubbed u. I’m extremely appreciative for all of your help & compliments. You’re the best @Shayera.Hol
:green_heart::white_heart::heart::it:….

1 Like