Monthly Art Challenge Submission Thread for May, 2021

Thank you!:pray: I had plans from the start to ink this before submitting. The black holes were meant to take on a different but yet the same type of effect when inked. I could not stop my hand from giving them some Kirby krackle! :crazy_face:

6 Likes

My dude! :exploding_head: :exploding_head: there is so much to take in! Itā€™s really lovely straight outta a comic! Slade is amazing :clap: his whole look from the leg armour, the pouches (on his belt and shoulder), the little ā€œshineā€ to his knee cap, and those swords!(nice touch with the whoosh of that one blade very cool effect) Nightshade is equally fantastic, with those black holes, ā€œswordā€ and that hair dang. Also let me take a second to appreciate the entire background littered with debris and smoke clouds.

6 Likes

Of course! Hope everything is ok, I know you had a lot going on with life. Definitely take some you time.

5 Likes

Oh my gosh this is incredible

4 Likes

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

5 Likes

Thanks. I may step back for a bit and not participate in challenges for a while. I still want to be around to encourage everyone and see what they come up with though!

5 Likes

Posting what Iā€™ve got.
Robin King

Riddler

TMNT vs Batman

Eradicator Lois

14 Likes

Thank you so much for appreciating all the little things in there! I really felt like I was in the ā€œzoneā€for the first time in a while. Once I started on Slade, and detailing his armor, the rest just flowed out and drew itself. The only struggle was figuring out those black holes, which like her hair is mostly sketched in there waiting for inks to establish volume and definition to complete their looks. After completing the 2 characters, a basic background just did not seem sufficient. I was watching Tenet with my daughter and knew my background needed to be like the war torn scene toward the end of the movie.

6 Likes

Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words! :pray:

5 Likes

:fire_extinguisher::fire_extinguisher::fire_extinguisher::fire_extinguisher:

Sorry I thought your keyboard caught fire!

Seriously, thank you very much!! :pray:

5 Likes

All great pieces! But I am most blown away by The Robin King!! So flipping awesome!!! Thank you for doing that!

5 Likes

No prob! I broke out some Spawn comics for inspiration. Particularly inspired by the Clown.

6 Likes

I can see it! All the little details from the creepy smile, the raven feathers and that cool belt buckle. I love it all!! I really dig the use of inks to get the feathers to looks so ruffled, perfection!

6 Likes

The belt buckle is the band Motorheadā€™s mascot. I kicked around a few band mascot ideas for the buckle before settling on it.

6 Likes

@KingOfTheWickerPeople - fantastic work! I can hardly choose a favorite, but I especially love your take on Robin King, TMNT vs Batman, and Eradicator Lois. :batparrot:

@RobArt471 - this is amazing! The amount of detail you put into this is mind-blowing. :exploding_head:

7 Likes

Thank you! :pray:

5 Likes

I loved drawing the Mirage era TMNT. I had a lot more ideas for it, too- Vicki Vale vs April Oā€™Neil, Baxter Stockman vs Man-Bat, Vernon vs the Joker (because of vague physical resemblance), Harley vs Irma (due to similar voices). Had to dial it back.

Actually thought of having Shredder flat out kill the Joker, but I didnā€™t want to go that violent and opted for having him cut Baneā€™s venom hoses.

The core idea I started with, though, was Red Hood vs Raphael. On a Gotham Knights post I remarked that you have a leader that dual wields using the color blue, a smart guy wielding a bo staff, and a guy with a chip on his shoulder wearing redā€¦I overthink these things.

And the Devito Penguin in the corner is saying ā€œGet out of my sewer!ā€

Ultimately I had a lot of disparate characters I wanted to work in, and I played favorites.

7 Likes

Batman vs TMNT :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: love this!!! classic turt designs and raph looks boss. (Hes my 2nd fav turtle) Jones jumping in for back up and red hood perspective is cool. Really love the whole design, even creepy sewer penguin.

Robin King is amazing as well, lot of definition with those feathers. His design is just really cool and you nailed it, specially the belt pouches and his gauntlets!

5 Likes

It might be less clear, but Batman is dropping Casey there. For the Robin King I think I googled, looked at two images for reference and just thought ā€œ90s McFarlaneā€.

5 Likes

Finished season 3. Couldnā€™t get the physical battle; seemed too out of place. Too NSFW. Last week was rough 4 me ā€˜cause of Gaza. I have a 2 year old. Blackbird puts her foot down for peopleā€™s rights. Her boots represent that. Slightly on the tiger appearance because of Grace. No spoilers here.

Yellow words for Jen, ā€œThunderā€ because Sinestro would be interested. No Pain with Grace is also a pun in the biblical sense of Black Jesus.

Doctor Stewart is not just a brilliant scientist, she is also an educator of scientists. Her brother is the John Stewart of Green Lantern fame. I grew up doing crossword puzzles so I went that direction. I took the liberty of re-writing the Green Lantern Oath and gifting it for Doctor Stewart.

I felt Black Lightning didnā€™t need a re-draw so I re-interpreted his power as clouds of Lightning & Thunder; wait Anissa was born 1stā€¦Ha ha!

Black Lives do matter and regardless of my own views, I couldnā€™t forget this during my project. I hope it works.

9 Likes