Month of Gotham (2024)

Hi! Welcome to the Month of Gotham, a thing that I decided needed to be real because I’m normal about that show! Below I have the list for discussion prompts for each day of February. Most questions could be answered even if you haven’t seen the full show, so feel free to participate even if you haven’t seen it all. I also tried to give a good mix of fun, easy questions and more in depth ones. Make sure to blur major spoilers for those who haven’t seen it all.

(Day 22 is referring whole Oswald falls for Edward, kills Isabella, gets killed by Edward thing. It was a question I added solely because that part of the show makes me crazy and I love to hear people talk about it all the time. Other than that I think most of these questions are pretty clear, but let me know if you have any questions!)

Month of Gotham will begin February first.

10 Likes

Don’t remember much of Gotham, but it seems like y’all are going to be talking about stealing clothes on my birthday lol

7 Likes

That’s okay, all of the discussion here will fill you in on what you need to know :rofl:

8 Likes

I’m answering question 1 about 40 mins early.

1. Who’s your favorite female character?

Personally, my favorite female character is Sarah Essen.

7 Likes

I’ll answer early too, because I’m likely to forget this thread. Warning! Last I watched Gotham, was 4 years ago already :sob:

I’ll try to give the best answer possible from memory

#1. My favorite female character is Selina

7 Likes

Day 1 - Who’s your favorite female character?

Barbara Kean easily. She had my faviorite character arc out of anyone else in the show, and honestly, out of almost any other character arc I’ve ever seen. At all parts of the show, no matter where she’s at on her journey, she’s super capable, badass, and interesting. Even though she got bad treatment from the writers in many cases, she’s still such a killer character and I would have loved to see more from her story after the final timeskip.

7 Likes

If it weren’t for the first season, she would be my favorite. However, she pissed me off in season 1 lol

6 Likes

Day 1 Who’s Your Favorite Female Character?

Selina Kyle. I have always been a Catwoman fan and it is cool seeing her as a kid. I thought Carmen Bicondova did a great job of bringing her to life.

5 Likes

I might add, I think it would be great if Carmen Bicondova and David Mazouz got to play the adult versions of Selina and Bruce one day. They were both superb in their roles.

6 Likes

She made me so unbelievably mad in the first season but after that everything she did was amazing and I forgive all of her crimes

4 Likes

Lmfaoooo

4 Likes

I’ve been excited for this for weeks

1. Who’s your favorite female character?

All of them. I’m just kidding :joy:

Honestly, I love them all, but for the sake of this prompt I’m gonna go with Barbara Kean, because I feel this is the most deep dive we’ve gotten of her without the existence of Batgirl. Don’t get me wrong, I love Batgirl, but from what I have read Barbara Kean is always just reduced to either the wife of Jim Gordon that’s just there (like in the Nolan Trilogy or even in Batman: Gotham by Gaslight), or there’s the conflict that she used to be there, left, and then pops up every now and then (but keep in mind I am not as knowledgeable of Batgirl comics the same way other fans are).

I used to actually watch bits and pieces of the show way back when it was airing during the time of season 2 and beginning of season 3. I was 13-14 at the time (same as Bruce and Selina were in the show) and I remember thinking even back then “oh my gosh, she’s supposed to be Batgirl’s mom… how the hell are she and Jim supposed to have baby Barbara now?” And even now that I’ve watched it beginning to end now, I still had the same thought during my first official watch.

I also remember people online saying that she was this show’s version of Harley Quinn, because blonde + crazy = Harley Quinn :crazy_face:, so I guess there’s a little nostalgia there.

There's more but with slight spoilers for season 5

Honestly, I love seeing her transformation, and she goes through a lot. She goes from being a normal citizen to a crazy criminal to a crazy girlboss crime boss to a calmer crime boss to eventually settling down into a better person. For most of the show we see characters become their comic book character counterparts, but with Barbara they had fun with her. She took a wild ride throughout the show, and still managed to do the thing she’s known for in comics, even if it went a little differently than how we expected.

Also… “Barbara Queen.” We stan :laughing:

5 Likes

Sarah Essen has a special place in my heart :heart:

3 Likes

Hell yeah!! BARBARA QUEEEEN :purple_heart: :purple_heart: :purple_heart: I love her. Have I made that clear lol.

3 Likes

Day 2 - Who’s your favorite male character?

Oswald Cobblepot. From his first scene in the show, he became my favorite character out of the entire series. He’s such a loser who has his moments of being cool and badass but overall is just a sad wet cat with a gun and a weird nickname. He should have died. He didn’t. He’s a cockroach. He’s so self-destructive and selfish and he loves his mom and smooth peanut butter and spicy mustard and I adore him.

4 Likes

Oh wow, it’s already day 2, m’kay.

1. Who is your favorite male character?

We all know this… it’s Ed. Cory Michael Smith was my Riddler attraction awakening, just like other actors for different characters in the DC Universe.

Anyway, since this is a #LovinEdNygmaHourPost, the reason was because season 1 Ed reminds me a lot of myself in terms of social awkwardness. He’s already nervous to talk to people anyway, so the fact that he’s even asking you a riddle when he comes up to you takes a lot of courage. In person, I’m actually really shy. Granted working in customer service releaves some of the anxiety because it’s a job but in a social setting… you’re lucky if I even compliment your nails. I think initially the fact that he’s a socially awkward person is what drew me in.

Another reason is that I love villains, but I love their origin stories more. With comics Riddler, his origin is easy to read up on because it’s in the comic, but on screen Riddler, his reasoning is very straightforward but not much is understood (mostly due to a limited time window, he’s obsessed with Batman and riddles and that’s all you need to know), but with Gotham Riddler you get to see a deep dive on how he actually became the Riddler. It wasn’t an overnight decision, it’s a slow burn, and I loved every second of it. I’ll keep it vague for spoiler reasons, but I notice that season 1 Ed gets very little screen time, but with each of his story beats he gets more, and more, and more, and like all of my fictional boo bears, my eyes are drawn to him everytime :blush:

The third reasoning is more straightforward… he’s hot in numerous ways. Season 1 Ed has that cute adorable nerd thing going on, and it’s carried over into season 2 but with more… edge? Insanity? Something stronger, I know that. And with each season he gets more suave and extra and I just… love him, there’s really no other way of putting it.

And of course, I couldn’t gush about Ed without acknowledging that big smart brain of his. As someone who is challenged in terms of memory and academics… the concept of even having memory and being great at math is attractive to me. He’s also one of the few versions of the Riddler that doesn’t use his knowledge to put down others the same way most Riddlers do (and trust me I have dated enough “geniuses” to understand when one is smart and when one thinks they’re smart). He doesn’t walk around verbally explaining that he’s better than everyone else because of his genius intelligent, instead he would probably love to share his knowledge if certain circumstances didn’t happen the way they did. One of the ways he tries to talk to people in season 1 is with riddles and trivia facts. I know that flies constantly hum to the key of F because of him! I think there are some instances where he makes backhanded remarks, but it’s towards people he actively doesn’t like and you understand the context of it. It’s not like Arkhamverse Riddler where he has the personality of a 13 year old boy Fortnight or COD player :rofl:

Also… Cory Michael Smith :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

4 Likes
  1. Who’s your favorite male character?

This is so tough!! I’m really torn between Bruce Wayne and Harvey Bullock. I think I’m gonna go with Harvey.

4 Likes

Day 2 - Who’s your favorite male character?

This is a hard one, because I have problems picking a favorite. I think I would go with James Gordon, though. Ben McKenzie did a great job of playing him, and I love his friendships with both Harvey and Bruce.

4 Likes
  1. Ecco, I thought she was really awesome

2. this one is kinda hard, I liked how they did Riddler and the Penguin. Butch was cool too. But I really enjoyed Zsasz. He was fun.

5 Likes

#2 Favorite male character?

Thomas Wayne. If he didn’t die, we wouldn’t have gotten Bruce’s arc. Thanks pops lol

But my real answer is Alfred. This Alfred is my favorite live-action version, since he felt more like a father in this show, compared to other versions on screen

5 Likes