:00_supergirl: Modern Age Superman Club Micro-Read: Power Girl :00_supergirl:

Happy New DC Comics Day, @ModernAgeSupermanClub! :partying_face:

You know her, you love her, its Kara Zor-L of Earth-2, aka Supergirl, aka Karen Starr, aka (look, she has a lot of akas, m’kay? :wink:) :sparkles: Power Girl :sparkles:!
:fireworks: :tada: :champagne:

Your positively powerful mission this week is to read issues 1-3 from this groovy series:

Written by Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti, and drawn by Amanda Conner (and long before they revolutionized Harley Quinn during The New 52, to boot! :clark_hv_4:), Power Girl is a triumphantly fun read. If you’re read it before, read it again! If this series is new to you, then have fun as you read it for the first time!

Thrill to the adventures of the Supergirl from Another Earth™, as she tangles with the dreaded Ultra-Humanite, aka the first villain Superman ever fought (not necessarily the UH in this week’s reading, but the Golden Age Ultra-Humanite was indeed Superman’s first super villain adversary, so close enough :wink:).

Enjoy and have fun with Power Girl #s 1-3, you powerful purveyors of popular and punchy action, adventure and humor! :superman_hv_4: :00_supergirl:

4 Likes

These were a fun read. I have never read this series before. Nice to read an origin for the Ultra-Humanite, although this one makes him an ape sooner than other stories. Good to see Power Girl defeat him using her brain as well as her brawn.

2 Likes

Really? Well, happy to help you out, good sir!

Agreed.

This series makes no bones about jokes and what have you pertaining to PG’s body, but it does so in a winking, fun way that shows that while Karen is absolutely gifted that way, its her mind and who she is as a person that make her truly shine.

SN: Karen also has a great sense of humor. As a guy who really likes a lady with a good sense of humor, this series always made me happily smile, issue after issue.

2 Likes

Ah, always a good time to reread this run. :smiley:

This was a great opening arc for this series, which I think is probably the definitive series for the character of Power Girl. It immediately establishes her character and her situation, gives her some good human supporting cast in addition to her teammates with the JSA, and even shows her compassion when she tries to save Ultra Humanite.

If there is a nitpick I have for this arc/run in general, it’s probably the Ultra Humanite origin, which is a contradiction of what was done before with the past iterations of Ultra Humanite. I think it might have worked better if they just made a new character for Power Girl to fight.

But yeah, overall great stuff. Thanks for giving me an excuse to reread these. I think I’m going to read the rest of it and then try out the rest of the series. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey, hey, @Jay_Kay! :smiley:

Agreed on both counts.

I read this series start to finish as it came out, and it was always a favorite of mine.

The writing was good, the art was crisp and punchy, and overall it was a fun series.

I’ve read all of PG’s other starring titles, and while they’re good, this one really is the PG Book of PG Books.

You’re welcome, and I’m glad you enjoyed your re-read so much.

Capital! I’ll tell you now that you’ve one very fun read ahead of you.

If you like, feel free to check back in once you’ve read more of PG’s adventures, as I’m curious what your thoughts will be.

Thanks for stopping by! :superman_hv_4:

1 Like