šŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: Martian Manhunter šŸŽ¶

16 Likes

This was a hard one for me, partially because Jā€™onn is one of my all-time favorites (my affection for green DC characters is well documented)

Loving The Alien By David Bowie (this is clearly going to be a Bowie-heavy mix and Iā€™m ALL FOR IT. Iā€™m actually surprised I havenā€™t put more Bowie songs on past playlists since Iā€™m such a massive fan)
Sound and Vision by David Bowie (mostly because of the ā€œman who fell to earthā€ thing)
Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks (Iā€™ll be honest, I donā€™t have a very concrete explanation for this one. Itā€™s one of my favorite songs of all time, and it makes me feel a way no other song can. The stuff that reminds me of Jā€™onn I think is the bittersweetness and the quiet observation of the beauty of earth and of humanity)

14 Likes

I think so too. While I do think itā€™s funny a lot of people go pick something from the 50s and usually itā€™s something corny or fun and thatā€™s great. I tend to think that when it comes to a character like Jā€™onn Jā€™onzz. Anything that reminds me of him is incredibly bittersweet, a little melancholic, and just plain sad.

I have been thinking about that, and two songs for Martian Manhunter, particularly in the context of him simply thinking about the stillness, humanity, and loneliness in general would have to be Eddie Condon-Nobody Knows and Nat King Cole-The Sand And The Sea.
Great observation @bookwormfitzpatrick.91230

13 Likes

13 Likes

A song (of sorts) thatā€™s on topic (to some extent):

14 Likes
14 Likes

14 Likes

Oh. Hell. Yes.
Best pairing ever.

Chefā€™s kiss!
(Iā€™ll save Teenagers From Mars for Mā€™Gannā€™s mixtape.)

Excellent pick! Also, Iā€™m 98% sure I saw this same solo (or a slightly shorter/longer variation thereof) at the North Carolina show of the same tour.

13 Likes

This is shaping up to be a nice playlist, which Iā€™m happy about, since Jon is one of my favorite characters. Any mixtape with this much David Bowie (and CCR) is going to be a great one, in my book!

11 Likes
12 Likes

:mag: :mag_right:

13 Likes

Thank Hā€™ronmeer for the blues!

12 Likes

This is one of my favorite mixes Iā€™ve ever seen on this site!

10 Likes

Iā€™m glad to hear that! I had a feeling it would be a great one. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

the first thing that comes to mind

11 Likes

I am sorry I missed out on this! I have been recently working on my own list based on this concept. What a co-inky-dink. Anyway, these are all great songs that made the list but I canā€™t believe the one I thought would be on the list didnā€™t make it.

ā€œThe Hunter Gets Captured By the Gameā€ by The Marvelettes
hunter

It isnā€™t hard to listen to the opening of the song and think that it is specifically referencing Jā€™onn:

Every day, things change
And the world puts on a new face
Certain things rearrange
And this olā€™ world seems like a new place
Oh, yeah, secretly Iā€™ve been trailinā€™ you
Like a fox that preys on a rabbit (Oh, yeah)
I had to get you and so I knew
I had to learn your ways and habits

A person with many faces that has to adapt to a new world and its customs but winds up falling in love with the place. Not to mention the title of the song itself is basically a description of how Jā€™onn got to earth in the first place.

Anyway, this is a great concept hopefully I get to contribute a song or two in the future!

10 Likes

Solid selection there @GreatKrypSean. :+1:

Also- welcome to DCUI! :smiley:

9 Likes

Welcome @GreatKrypSean :smiley:, I hope to see you around here. The new theme/character comes out every Monday. Oh and good choice.

8 Likes

Welcome to the community @GreatKrypSean! :partying_face: Great pick.

Please feel free to let the moderator team know if you need anything! :muscle:

9 Likes

Welcome, @GreatKrypSean! And that is a good choice. Love The Marvelettes.

9 Likes