🎶 Mixtape Monday: Martian Manhunter 🎶

Yes!!! The Marvelettes!! Please Mr. Postman is one of my all time favorite tunes. Never gets old to me. One of the 1st oldies I loved as a kid. I know it’s not that song lol. I’m just excited you picked them. Idk if they had any other huge tunes like postman. But, I’ll definitely be listening to that one!!!

5 Likes

Welcome to Mixtape Monday (and the Community), @GreatKrypSean! I think that’s a great fit for this mixtape. Please let one of us moderators know if there’s ever anything we can help you with!

5 Likes

As a Martian Manhunter fan I’m so proud and happy that so many people are interested in sharing music about the character. It’s even better because it varies from fun to somber and that’s exactly the best way to view the character. He’s got layers of complexity that never leaves him consistent and why he’s my favorite to read about.

Thank you @Green.Lantern for shining a light on him.

4 Likes

So I tried to post this on Bowie’s birthday, but I was out of the US and rudely told I was not allowed to play. :frowning: Then I got Covid and a week passed without me noticing…

Anyway, I wanted to take a moment to appreciate the fact that this mixtape lends itself so well to so much Bowie. Sunday (08Jan) would have been his 76th birthday. The following Tuesday (10Jan) marked 7 years (in Tibet) in a world without Bowie. :black_heart::stargirl::black_heart:

We Can See Mars - I Speak Machine
Aside from the obvious theme, the tone of this song feels very J’Onn to me for some reason. (And it doubles as another Bowie reference, thanks to Tara calling on … Spiders From Mars as the album which most influenced her when presented with the question for an LA Weekly promo article last year.)

Xenophobia - Prince
Somewhere in the multiverse, there is a version of J’Onn that is a saxophone solo, and he is quite content.

7 Likes

I don’t think this list can have too many Bowie or Bowie-influenced songs, so I’m definitely glad you added these!

7 Likes

Ancient Mars by the Zolas

I pick this song from the Zolas mainly for the title and for these specific lyrics

Several billion golden years ago
I lost a planet that I loved to the cold
Civilization blooms and then it erodes. And that’s it
Oh my ancient Mars

4 Likes