šŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: Martian Manhunter šŸŽ¶

Yes!!! The Marvelettes!! Please Mr. Postman is one of my all time favorite tunes. Never gets old to me. One of the 1st oldies I loved as a kid. I know itā€™s not that song lol. Iā€™m just excited you picked them. Idk if they had any other huge tunes like postman. But, Iā€™ll definitely be listening to that one!!!

5 Likes

Welcome to Mixtape Monday (and the Community), @GreatKrypSean! I think thatā€™s a great fit for this mixtape. Please let one of us moderators know if thereā€™s ever anything we can help you with!

6 Likes

As a Martian Manhunter fan Iā€™m so proud and happy that so many people are interested in sharing music about the character. Itā€™s even better because it varies from fun to somber and thatā€™s exactly the best way to view the character. Heā€™s got layers of complexity that never leaves him consistent and why heā€™s my favorite to read about.

Thank you @Green.Lantern for shining a light on him.

4 Likes

So I tried to post this on Bowieā€™s birthday, but I was out of the US and rudely told I was not allowed to play. :frowning: Then I got Covid and a week passed without me noticingā€¦

Anyway, I wanted to take a moment to appreciate the fact that this mixtape lends itself so well to so much Bowie. Sunday (08Jan) would have been his 76th birthday. The following Tuesday (10Jan) marked 7 years (in Tibet) in a world without Bowie. :black_heart::stargirl::black_heart:

We Can See Mars - I Speak Machine
Aside from the obvious theme, the tone of this song feels very Jā€™Onn to me for some reason. (And it doubles as another Bowie reference, thanks to Tara calling on ā€¦ Spiders From Mars as the album which most influenced her when presented with the question for an LA Weekly promo article last year.)

Xenophobia - Prince
Somewhere in the multiverse, there is a version of Jā€™Onn that is a saxophone solo, and he is quite content.

8 Likes

I donā€™t think this list can have too many Bowie or Bowie-influenced songs, so Iā€™m definitely glad you added these!

8 Likes

Ancient Mars by the Zolas

I pick this song from the Zolas mainly for the title and for these specific lyrics

Several billion golden years ago
I lost a planet that I loved to the cold
Civilization blooms and then it erodes. And thatā€™s it
Oh my ancient Mars

5 Likes