đŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: Krypton Arrives! đŸŽ¶

Happy Music-filled Monday, all!

Only a group like this could be capable of coming up with so commendable a list of songs for so
 delightfully confounding a show! :laughing: We knew we could count on you, and you certainly didn’t disappoint, delivering a round of songs so fitting for Doom Patrol and its characters that they couldn’t help themselves, hoarding favorites from everyone else’s lists to keep as their own! We mixers bring out the best in everyone, don’t we? :wink:

Click the arrow to see the full list of your songs!

NOTE: Work in Progress - Adding the rest soon!

• “Where Is My Mind,” by The Pixies (from Fight Club)
  • “Where Is My Mind,” by Milky Chance
  • “Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This),” by Emily Browning (from Sucker Punch)
  • “Sweet Dreams + White Stripes Mashup,” by Pomplamoose ft. Sarah Dugas
  • “Strange Wind,” by Shannon & the Clams
  • “Weird Science,” by Oingo Boingo
  • “Seven Nation Army," by The White Stripes
  • “Pompeii,” by Bastille
  • “Champagne Supernova," by Oasis
  • “High Hopes,” by Panic! At The Disco
  • "Midna’s Lament,” by Toru Minegishi (from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
  • “Live and Learn." by Crush 40 (from Sonic Adventure 2)
  • “Reach for the Stars,” by Jean Paul Makhlouf (from Sonic Colors)
  • “Zinnia’s Theme” (from PokĂ©mon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire)
  • “Enola Gay," by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
  • “Viva la Vida,” by Coldplay
  • “The Scientist,” by Coldplay
  • “Crimewave,” by Crystal Castles
  • “Asleep at the Wheel,” by Band of Skulls
  • “Walking after Midnight,” by Ki:Theory (Patsy Cline cover)
  • “Alice,” by Avril Lavigne
  • “Understanding In A Car Crash,” by Thursday
  • “The Instability Of Proto Man,” by Death Therapy
  • “Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall,” by The Ink Spots & Ella Fitzgerald
  • “Supernova,” by Off Road Minivan
  • “Djazz,” by Rob Scallon
  • “Wrong,” by Depeche Mode
  • “Bad Romance,” by Lady Gaga
  • “Burning Bridges,” by Mike Curb Congregation
  • “Pandora’s Box,” by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
  • “The Midnight in Me,” by Rebecca Scoichet
  • “Walking In My Shoes,” by Depeche Mode
  • “The Middle,” by Jimmy Eat World
  • “Radioactive,” by Imagine Dragons
  • “The Diary of Jane,” by Breaking Benjamin
  • “Hammerhead,” by The Offspring
  • “Somewhere I Belong,” by Linkin Park
  • “Robot Boy,” by Linkin Park
  • “The Famous Final Scene,” by Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
  • “The Final Countdown,” by Europe
  • “Bend Me, Shape Me,” by The American Breed
  • “Because They’re Young,” by Duane Eddy
  • “Time Won’t Let Me,” by The Outsiders
  • “Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In),” by The First Edition
  • “Speedway,” by Elvis Presley
  • “Only the Lonely (Know the Way I Feel),” by Roy Orbison
  • “The Man With the Golden Arm,” by Billy May & His Orchestra
  • “Bohemian Rhapsody,” by Queen
  • “Born This Way,” by Lady Gaga
  • “Strange Things,” by Randy Newman (from Toy Story)
  • “Face to Face,” by Siouxsie And The Banshees (from Batman Returns)
  • “We’re Off to See the Wizard,” by Ray Bolger & Judy Garland (from The Wizard of Oz)

This Week’s Theme:
Krypton Arrives!

Season 2 of Krypton is coming to DC Universe tomorrow, so if you haven’t caught up on its first season, now’s the perfect time to do so! Set up in a world in which Superman doesn’t exist, and setup from the perspective of his grandfather, instead, the show delves into topics ranging from conflict, to the fate of the world, and the redemption of the family’s honor.

With a hefty list of worthwhile characters to devote a song to, and both a plot and setting that beg for some atmospheric tunes, we want to know what comes to mind when you think of the show. Let us know by posting below!

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines, the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post a track of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the full list of tunes collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

5 Likes

This week, I’m going to go with two heavily atmospheric goodies :slight_smile:
The first one is Zayde Wolf’s “Save Tonight,” from the show, itself:

While this one’s a mixture of songs by Hans Zimmer (from the Man of Steel OST), automatically making it 10 minutes of gloriousness worth listening to. :wink:

7 Likes

Going with Muse - Uprising

8 Likes

This week I am going to try a little something sort of different. Instead of focusing on one character, I will choose music that I think could come from a futuristic society such as the one living on Krypton.

Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz (Her Dead Petz are Flaming Lips!) - Miley Tibetan Bowlzz

Atoms for Peace - Before Your Very Eyes

Now for songs for the last moments of Krypton
Michael Stipe and Big Red Machine - No Time for Love Like Now

Do You Realize? from Flaming Lips

Lastly, I will add a song for Zod for the lyrics:
I’ve played the unraveler, the parhelion
But even apocalypse is fleeting
There’s no death, no ugly world
of Montreal - The Past is a Grotesque Animal
Edit: I will let you do a google search for this song as I forgot about some of the lyrics. I would suggest to find a live version from NPR Music Live.

5 Likes

I kind of felt going for “atmospheric” seeing just the theme:

“Hope”, by Justin E. Bell

The show does have Superman ties
 and he is a symbol of hope
 but this does have a bit of an otherworldly/intergalactic feel to it.

And, well, since everyone knows the inevitable demise of the planet?
“It’s The End Of The World”, by R.E.M.

4 Likes

To: @MissInkBlot

RE: Krypton

( ( the Grandfather ) )
You Can Make It If You Try by Sly & The Family Stone

( ( the Father ) )
Papa Don’t Take No Mess by James Brown

( ( the Son ) )
Willing & Able (LIVE, video version) by Prince & the New Power Generation

:musical_note: Bonus Track :musical_note:

( ( the House of El ) )
Swing Down, Sweet Chariot w/ Mothership Landing (LIVE, Houston, TX 1976) by Parliament

Thanks: above / Bobbie Chase / Dr. Funkenstein / dedication to the preservation of the motion of hips / zines / honesty / writers / artists / Jerry, Joe, + the Siegel and Shuster families / Arundhati R. / Heidi W. D. / Yayoi K. / Diana B. / Abby M. / Empire Files / @DCU / @Applejack / Maggie / Hopey / authentic kindness / respect / you / all who have also been alienated

#x:white_heart:|Doomx

3 Likes

Hello there MissInkBlot. :wave: :sunglasses:

Wishing you well and ready to get some tunes for Krypton going. :smiley:

Hope that everyone gets to check out season 2 as it was a lot of fun and I’ll be giving spoiler warnings for a lot of the reasons why I chose some of these songs. :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

Ah, we shall start with Seg. He has quite the journey going in season 2 so I thought of this song for him. Some of the lyrics do remind me of his early journey in the season.

One instance are especially the lyrics that go “Trembling, crawling across my skin. Feeling your cold dead eyes stealing the life of mine” as to what Brainiac was doing to him in trying to take over control of his body. :scream:

Next up, I will be keeping with BB for this next person.

Nyssa. I found her trials of trying to help Val and company versus the tyranny of Zod to tear her in two. Also, not to mention her doing anything for her baby (what a reveal of that name!) :grin:
Nyssa also has to hold on as to where is she left off in the finale as well. :fearful:

For this next character, I chose it for the lyrics that represents their trials during the season.

This one came to mind for Lyta given the state it’s revealed she’s in because of Dru-Zod. These lyrics I found made sense when it was revealed she had been trapped by Dru in that altered state because of the Black Mercy. :scream:
“Crying out. Now you can’t escape you are buried in doubt, and it pulls you down. Now you’re in too deep you may never get out. Such an awful place.” (Luckily she did manage to get out! :sunglasses: :+1:

Cry of Achilles - Alter Bridge

Next, I thought of this tune for that Strange Adam guy. :wink: :joy:

It was really funny seeing how when he finally got his jet pack how much he would get up off the ground. He also had a good call to action this season as well that helped him get up off the ground.

Oh this next song
 :sob:

I picked this especially for Kem and how brave it was for him to stand up to Doomsday. If there ever was a character’s death, his was the one I’d say if you know you are going to go, go out like Kem did. :cry: :+1:

This next song is one I’d say all of the characters could have since they had the tough tasks of dealing with Dru-Zod, Brainiac, Doomsday, and Lobo. :scream:

Also since most of the heroes were taking on Dru-Zod they were “always on the run” for a little while.

Now to break into those villains a bit more
 Ah, yes. Let’s begin with Brainiac. This song definitely came to mind for him, and not only for its title. :smile:

It was crazy how he had “combined” with Seg for a time and he did sort of teach Seg how to fight Lobo. :scream:

Next up on the villain list, none other than Dru-Zod.

Given all he had done to Lyta I thought this song was appropriate. He also had fooled all the people of Kandor for so long as well he could only be so smooth in his criminal ways. :flushed:

Ah, now onto the undeniable
 Kroom! Unbelievable
 Kroom! Doomsday is here! :exploding_head:

His backstory was very interesting in seeing in how it was told. It’s unfortunate he could not escape the monster, and he certainly kept getting stronger. :weary:

Last, but certainly not least
 The Main Man, Lobo! :sunglasses:

These lyrics certainly reminded me of what it was Lobo wanted throughout the season. :sweat_smile:
I can’t be told the compromises, from every toppled body lying at my feet they know for minimal reminder they will speak my name for eternity.

And if there was one more song that I would include it would be this one.

Also those battles at the end of the season. Wow. :astonished:

5 Likes

Hey :wave: @MissInkBlot!
Hope you’re doing well. Nice picks, btw—last wk too. That Pomplamoose mash up is :raised_hands:t3: right? So good! So anyway, this is the one that popped into my head for Krypton and defiantly stayed there, so it’s flying’ solo this week! Plz enjoy & take care. :purple_heart:
Relocation- Feed Me

3 Likes

Lady Gaga - ARTPOP

3 Likes

Okay, just finished season one and I gotta say pretty cool. Songs that came to my mind were,

“Civil War”, by Guns and Roses, and
“Symphony of Destruction”, by Megadeath

Also, in case I don’t finish season two before Monday I’d like to suggest,

“End of the World”, (acoustic version), by Cold. It was on the Resident Evil 2 soundtrack. It was a cold and dreary planet and the acoustic version seems somewhat melancholy, somber.

Thanks

3 Likes

Okay, just finished season two and gotta say , I’m bummed. I knew there were only two seasons and still, I let myself get sucked in. Damn cliffhangers.

Anyway, right away when I saw Lobo I was thinking Rob Zombie/White Zombie, anything by him/them, I just thought he could be his brother or something.

My only other suggestion would be Silverchairs’ “Madman”, and that would be for either Brainiac or Dru-Zod. It’s a cool instrumental song, too cool for either of them, they’re both nut jobs. Thank you.

2 Likes

Did you expect Seg and Nyssa’s son Cor-Vex to actually be Jor-El?

Do you feel they went the easy way out by having Lyta be a clone and not actually turned to her son’s side? They should’ve had the guts to make that choice.

Good Pick!

2 Likes

Sorry, I don’t know if this was meant for anyone specifically or everyone in general but I expected it to be Jor-El until they named him Cor-Vex then was like “huh”, then they changed the name at the end so, Okay explained.

As far as Lyta, [taking deep breath
EXHALING] I don’t know if they took the easy way out but I’m fine with it.

Hello Music Mixers, my apologies for being missing in action as of late. Please see my side note on the newest MTM for more information on reason/response time (yes, you’ll all receive responses - I’d be rather upset at myself if you didn’t, to be honest :stuck_out_tongue:). :heart:

In the meantime, thank you for this week’s music choices!
They were a much appreciated escape to land far, far away. :stars:

@Pow-Pow - Yessss, that’s the perfect way to start off playlist like this. There’s something about Muse that always ends with my head in the clouds, and stars in my eyes, which that song, in particular, is a great representation of. There’s a transition present in that song from its very beginning, that makes it feels as if you’re buckling your seatbelt for a long, and potentially bumpy ride (not to mention, an eventful landing!). :wink:

@D4RK5TARZ - I see where you’re going with that
 and all of your pieces were expertly chosen, that’s for sure. It’s been years since I’ve heard anything by Miley, so while this was my first time listening to it, I absolutely adore that piece. The atmosphere it creates is hazy and disembodied in some of the best, but unexpected ways - simple, but deep. On par with the picture, when you listen to it with eyes closed, it feels like you’re traveling through stardust. It’s such a cool sensation! :star_struck: “Before Your Very Eyes” has something of a dual-sided effect, because the visuals match the sound in ways other music videos don’t. It’s textured, and multi-layered, indeed, like shifting sands of varying colors, building and destroying all at the same time. How beautiful. :hushed:

For me, “No Time for Love Like Now” is the sort of song that transforms the spirit into a harp that only the singer knows how to play. The delicacy with which he delivers the lyrics reminds me of how a harpist plays. And the raw aspect of seeing him perform as just himself, with no assistance, no background band. Just one man with one message. It’s really touching. But at the same time, The Flaming Lips provides a great contrast to that, too, in part because of the more elaborate, absurd (? maybe just “strange”) parts of the video (the animal costumes, the elephant, the lights, and the like), but also because of general shift in sound of the song. I like how there’s an undercurrent of airiness still flowing from the previous song through this one, while the message is different, yet connected - "do you realize that everyone you know someday will die?

That’s why, “there’s no time for love like now.” Take advantage of the knowledge of that fact? I think “The Past is a Grotesque Animal” fits that, too, for the lyrics you shared, definitely, but also because it shows why focusing on the past can be rather destructive. The version I first found of it describes it as being addictive, and I must say, I agree. Thank you for recommending the live version! :slight_smile:

@LDFM - Oh, I can’t explain with adequate language how much I like “Hope.” :hushed: There is something about that song
 and I can’t place my finger on it. Atmospheric is the perfect word to describe it, but also timeless and enigmatic in how it feels familiar yet isn’t (I know I’ve heard something similar somewhere, because I recognize the way it hits in all the same ways, but feel like I’m going a bit nuts because that might not actually be true. And, such is the special ability of music like that, lol). But, know what’s the perfect thing to bring my feet back to the ground, though? Yup, a good dose of “It’s The End Of The World.” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I’ll always like the follow up conclusion of “I feel fine” for that song. It balances the devastation of the first portion of the statement perfectly in a calming, “it’ll all be alright, though” way.

@xLOVEandDoomPatrolx -
To: xL&DPx
Re: The lovely gift received - you deserve :icecream: as thanks. And lots of it. Just sayin’. :hugs:

Why do you deserve the perfect temp’ed good stuff needed to combat the heat? Because I’m sorry about the heat, for one (I understand, thoughts of snow pop into my head at random nowadays, sadly
 someone
 send breeze please
), but because that was a fantastic rundown on family dynamics, well-described and summed up in perfect pitch and topic. :hushed:

What makes it all the cooler is that you do it in ways I never expect, with the likes of Sly & the Family Stone and James Brown bringing their own level of smooth, balanced heat to the mix (think the mellow burn of ginger, instead of the spicy heat of, say, peppers) from an older, multi-generational point of view, with Prince representing the younger part (the general tone of the song and his voice make me feel like I’m drinking iced coffee on a hot day, actually - the beat doesn’t have the crisp bounce-back that you get from the earlier songs, nor the bitter bluntness of coffee without cream. It’s just as mellow and smooth, but in its own way. I love it! :laughing:).

Parliament Funkadelic works well as a bonus track for the entire house of El, though, as a something of a combination of all of them, and displaying how different aspects of each person’s personality can, despite possible conflict, etc. come together to create a collective family unit. The “mothership landing” part is a very nice touch for the theme as well! :slight_smile:

@ajm08g - Hello hello! :slight_smile: Wishing you just as well, and so thankful for the tunes you chose! In keeping with your usage of the spoiler blurs and my not having started Season 2 yet, I’ll try to be careful in addressing mainly music vs plot, though, on the whole, I love how you connect your picks to certain characters, their motivations, journeys through character development and plot! The detailed explanation adds all the more depth to the songs chosen. :heart:

Speaking of your such, I’ve been on something of a Breaking Benjamin kick lately, so “Dance with the Devil” and “Torn in Two” are right up my alley! But that’s a given, since it always comes off as if we share the same personal playlist - from Trapt to Chevelle to the Foo Fighters, you pretty much run the gamut of everything I’d listen to, all while applying them in mind-boggling ways that amaze me. :laughing:

I noticed, and really enjoy, however, how there’s a moderately steady tempo and similar feeling traveling throughout the majority of your set of choices, despite how the topics being addressed in each song, differs. This is particularly striking because you’re covering such a wide range of people and happenings, while it manages to stay cohesive, much in the same way they do when making up the one show.

The three that stood out to me most were the two by Imagine Dragons and Bad Company - but maybe that makes sense, since Bad Company begins applying to a collective, and certainly feels like it (I particularly enjoy how it does double duty when I listen to it, applying to both heroes and villains, since I imagine both feels the same about the other being bad company, lol). Meanwhile, Imagine Dragons was used to represent some of the heaviest aspects - end-time battles, and yes, Doomsday. You do an amazing job injecting the perfect amount of feeling, adjusting where needed with this list, that’s for sure! “Battle Cry,” gets me right in the feels, I tell ya. :hushed:

Oh, and by the way, since you went into such detail for your rationale, is there anything you recommend keeping on the lookout for those of us who’ll be starting the second season soon? :slight_smile:

@Razzzcat - Hey there! I hope you’re doing well, and thanks for the kind words :heart: Yesss, now I can’t get enough of Pomplamoose
 though as with anything MTM-related, I’d be lying if I said I was upset about it, lol.

Ooh, I do love your song this week – what I find indescribably strange, but lovely is how it has the interesting trait of being able to keep you grounded and disengage the listener (well, me, at least lol) rather fast, which is exactly what I was looking for this week. A little while in, and one’s feet are off the ground, but instead of closing your eyes in preparation to float off, you keep them open, and you’re conscious of all you see and experience. Especially cognizant of the little green men you might encounter, as in the picture, too! :stuck_out_tongue: Appreciate the stop by! :slight_smile:

@Walker - Oh my, that song bubbles with intergalactic glory doesn’t it? From the beat to the instruments used, and her voice, it all causes bursts of color to show up when I close my eyes to it. Lots of type you see when looking up images of far off galaxies - perfect for space travel. :heart_eyes: It’s also really nice in that it offers a higher pitched bubblegum feeling while the lower octave bits land with a different feeling, almost menacing in something of a way that warns you to fear the great unknown. It’s a peculiar combo, but a pretty awesome song, and I’m glad we got to add it to the list! :slight_smile:

@ejdias.95910 - Very nice set of songs chosen! I’m glad to hear you liked Season 1 as much as I did, too (despite being bummed out by Season 2 - I gotcha, cliff hangers put me into such show holes, lol :frowning:) - one thing’s for certain, at least your choices are appreciated and your musical taste didn’t disappoint a bit!

It had been a while since I heard either song, so the refresher really helps me see the perspective from which you viewed and finished Season 1. I’m not sure about your feelings on it, but do like how both touch on war and destruction in such relatively numb ways, the subdued aspect of which being something I felt when going through Season 1. I suppose it was caused by something of a “this is the establishment of the beginning, and therefore, far from the end” perspective that a first season typically gives, if that makes sense. :thinking: I have a similar feeling from “End of the World,” too, because of the way the idea is addressed in such a sorrowful, and touching way. They all seem to represent a feeling of resignation and acceptance, and that song’s especially powerful in its acoustic form.

I see exactly what you mean by the mention of Rob Zombie, though! And the choice of Silverchairs’ song made me laugh in your reasoning. :stuck_out_tongue: What’s life without a few of the nuttier characters around? xD But, I concur, that really is a pretty captivating instrumental - for me, it’s oddly reminiscent of Drist’s “Arterial Black.”

Speaking of Season 2, btw, gonna blur out some of your and @zulmara5.38205 posts for spoilers, so I hope you don’t mind. :wink:

6 Likes

To: @MissInkBlot

RE: :white_heart: :blue_heart: :white_heart:

:ice_cube: :ice_cube: :ice_cube:

All good here MissInkBlot thank you! :sunglasses: :+1:

(Oops, just noticed one of my song choices for this week somehow slipped through the cracks as I thought I included it
 I’ll put in the title of the song in a moment to make sure it is there. :flushed: :sweat_smile:)

Just also read through your note on the newest list, so no worries as you take care of yourself. Happy to read that you are better as well! :smiley:

Ah, yes! In watching season 2 make sure to keep your ears peeled for the dialogue. It might seem “oddly specific” at times, but there is a reason for it! As well, keep in mind the character interactions and motivations made in season 1. These are also very important to keep in mind. There are also plenty of surprises in store that will surely invoke a “Zoinks!” or “Jeepers!” for sure. :joy:

Hope this helps in enjoying the season 2 journey. :zipper_mouth_face: :smile: :superman_hv_4:

1 Like

Hey MissInkBlot, good to hear from you as always. Yes, thank you for the “blur” thingy as I’m not too tech savvy and didn’t mean to give any spoilers. Take care and stay healthy.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like