đŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: Doom Patrol! đŸŽ¶

Greetings, Music Aficionados!

Last week’s list of songs left us showing off our cowboy boots, and asking for the room to give a good “yee haw!” And, while he might make for a tough crowd, try as he might to withhold his feelings on the matter, even Jonah was willing to give gruff grunt of approval, and a hat tip in thanks for all that the community compiled! :cowboy_hat_face: Alas, only the best for this talented group! :wink:

Click the arrow to see the full list of your songs!

NOTE: This is a work in progress - finishing adding everyone’s songs in a bit!

• “Old Trails,” by Rex Koury (Gunsmoke Theme)
  • “Main Theme,” by Jerry Goldsmith (from The Waltons)
  • “Shadow’s Theme” by Nobuo Uematsu (from Final Fantasy VI)
  • “Pressing Pursuit,” by Toshihiko Horiyama (from Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney)
  • “Big Iron," by Marty Robbins
  • “The Courier Walks Softly," by Inon Zur (from Fallout: New Vegas)
  • “Happy Times,” by Bert Weedon
  • “Saloon,” by The Ongoing Concept
  • “Blaze of Glory,” by Bon Jovi (from Young Guns II)
  • “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (main title)” by Ennio Morricone (from The Good the Bad and the Ugly)
  • “Should’ve Been a Cowboy,” by Toby Keith
  • “Happy Trials,” by Roy Rogers
  • “Billy the Kid,” by Billy Dean
  • “A Good Run of Bad Luck,” by Clint Black
  • “Ramblin’ Man,” by Hank Williams, Sr.
  • “Josephine,” by Joey+Rory
  • "Back in Baby’s Arms, by Patsy Cline
  • “Long Black Train,” by Josh Turner
  • “A Country Boy Can Survive,” by Hank Williams, Jr.
  • “Hurt,” by Johnny Cash
  • “Zorro,” by (from The Sign of Zorro + Disney Sing Along Songs: Heigh-Ho)
  • Opening Theme by Cathi Campo (from Zorro)
  • “Woody’s Roundup,” by Toy Story 2
  • “Stand Unshaken,” by (from Red Dead Redemption 2)
  • “The Legend,” by Jerry Reed (from Smokey and the Bandit)
  • “Goin’ Out West,” by Widespread Panic
  • “Somethings Never Change,” by The Forecast
  • “Cowboy Dan,” by Modest Mouse
  • “How The West Was Won And Where It Got Us,” by R.E.M.
  • “28 Ghosts IV,” by Nine Inch Nails
  • “God’s Gonna Cut You Down,” by Marilyn Manson
  • “Ghost Riders in the Sky,” by Johnny Cash
  • “La Resa De Conti” + “Per qualche dollaro in piĂč,” by Sergio Leone (from For a Few Dollars More)

This Week’s Theme:
Doom Patrol!

Season 2 of Doom Patrol is almost over, and as only it can, it managed to both come in with a bang and leave with another representing the sound of minds blown in its wake. With so active and interesting a set of episodes this time around, we found it imperative to ask what songs make you think of the show and its characters? Is there a piece that perfectly describes a certain character’s development, or a song that popped into you head during the perfect scene?

Let us know what song causes sparks to fly when applied to this lovable group of misfits!

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines, the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post a track of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the full list of tunes collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

9 Likes

This week, I think I’m going to go with double doses of two of the feelings I get from the overall show - being vague to avoid spoilers, these, for me, touch on the more upbeat bits (which I get from how the group interacts on its whole; the feeling I come away with after watching the show each week - the first song + cover), but also the more unsavory parts we encounter (the second song/covers), both of which I think add a great amount of depth to the plot and character development we’ve been seeing. I wanted to show two sides of each of those aspects, therefore, I’m going with:

“Where Is My Mind,” by The Pixies (from Fight Club)

“Where Is My Mind,” by Milky Chance

“Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This),” by Emily Browning (from Sucker Punch)

“Sweet Dreams + White Stripes Mashup,” by Pomplamoose ft. Sarah Dugas

Also, to note, starting this week, will be adjusting the schedule to respond to all of you sooner throughout the week, so you won’t all have to wait for one day/giant post. >,< That said, finishing up responses to your last set of playlists - they’ll be on their way! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Strange wind by Shannon & the clams

For the world’s strangest heroes :rita_dp: :negativeman_dp: :robotman_dp:

7 Likes

“Weird Science” (Big Audio Dynamite)
“Seven Nation Army” (White Stripes)
“Pompeii” (Bastille)
“Champagne Supernova” (Oasis)
“High Hopes” (Panic at the Disco)
“Midna’s Lament” from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
“Live and Learn” and “Reach for the Stars” from the Sonic series
Zinnia’s theme from PokĂ©mon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
“Enola Gay” (OMD)
“Viva la Vida” and “The Scientist” (Coldplay just seems right.)

8 Likes

Hello @MissInkBlot :wave:
Hope you’re doing well. These are the first things that came to mind. Admittedly I need to do a rewatch before Thursday (doing too many things at once—for some reason I can’t only watch TV anymore?? We’ll say thnx Covid on that one.) Anyway, here ya go! Take care. :purple_heart:

Crimewave- Crystal Castles

Asleep at the Wheel- Band of Skulls

Walking after Midnight- Ki:Theory, great but somber Patsy Cline cover.

7 Likes

Alice-Avril Lavigne

6 Likes

I actually thought this would be the theme a few weeks ago, so these have been on the backburner for some time now. I’m still pretty early in the show
 but I tried to pick one song for each of the Patrol:

“Understanding In A Car Crash”, by Thursday

Might be obvious, this one is for Robotman/Cliff Steele.

“The Instability Of Proto Man”, by Death Therapy

While I believe it’s a homage to the Mega Man series
 well what other person kind of resembles that, other than Victor/Cyborg?

“Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall”, by The Ink Spots & Ella Fitzgerald

For Rita/Elasti-Girl I had to throw in a classy song (sorry not sorry). At least in the first season/early episodes, she’s always “poor me”.

“Supernova”, by Off Road Minivan

This one was the hardest of the group. But looking at the lyrics, I decided to go for it with Larry/Negative Man.

“Djazz”, by Rob Scallon

And last but not least. For Crazy Jane, I had another song in mind, but remembered this awesome YouTuber! And figured it plays well since her persona can change on a dime.

7 Likes

Cliff: Depeche Mode - Wrong

Jane: Meredith Brooks - B-tch

Vic: Lady Gaga - Bad Romance

Larry: Mike Curb Congregation - Burning Bridges

Rita: OMD - Pandora’s Box

Dorothy: Rebecca Scoichet - The Midnight in Me

Niles: Depeche Mode - Walking in my Shoes

4 Likes

Well hello there MissInkBlot. :wave: :smiley:

Ah yes, hard to believe the Doom Patrol season 2 finale is upon us this week. :astonished:

Now, let’s see what we have going for the gang. :thinking:

First, this one came to mind for Rita and all the struggles she has been having this season. :rita_dp:

Next up, this one came to mind for Larry. :negativeman_dp:

Ah, now onto Jane. :crazyjane_dp: Couldn’t help myself to only just have one track for her. :smile:

First song seemed fitting for the struggles she has been dealing with this season and the second
 Well
 Hammerhead does have a way in doing things. Also happy Cliff was able to give her a hug even if she doesn’t like hugs. :joy:

Now, for the Robotman, Mr. Cliff Steele. This track encompasses how I’ve seen his journey from season 1 to 2 has unfolded. :robotman_dp:

Ah, yes, now onto Cyborg. This one came to mind particularly because of what he has been going through with Roni this season. :cyborg_dp:

Oh, and now for The Chief. Given what he has gone through and especially in the episode before we get to the finale this particular song came to mind. :chief_dp:

Ah, and now for miss Dorothy. Given what is at stake in the finale, this song seemed appropriate. :girl:

Let’s also hope she does not, as Candlemaker would say, make wish
 :scream:

4 Likes

For Rita, this song by the American Breed is perhaps most appropriate:

For Dorothy, here’s an instrumental by Duane Eddy that I think would go with her situation:

This is I think an appropriate song for the Chief given the circumstances from this season:

Jane probably feels this way anytime in the Underground:

For ex-race car driver Cliff, this tune may sum him up, courtesy of The King:

Larry comes off as melancholy in many ways, so here’s a good one for him:

Vic is a no-nonsense guy who needs a good theme walking in a room. Here’s one:

4 Likes

Maybe it’s just me and my own bias because I love Queen, but I feel like Bohemian Rhapsody fits for the show’s mood. Not any specific characters, but the entire show. I also think Born This Way by Lady Gaga fits Danny Street and all of the Dannycitizns.

5 Likes

Hello @MissInkBlot,
Since I don’t watch Doom Patrol, but from what I have seen from the first episode and the poster picture of season 2, here’s my 3 pick.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hello, all! Giving a first delivery for the week - will finish up the next found tomorrow. :slight_smile:

@seitan – Talk about a song capable of adjusting the listener’s time and place, all at once - what a lovely addition to the list! I think what I love about this song so much is that it wasn’t released that long ago yet manages to successfully bring forth something of an aged feeling - sort of like the musical version of telling a child they have an old soul? At the same time, it transports you physically to a different world entirely – one where what happens in Doom Patrol can take place right before your eyes, too. The effect of those two attributes coming together is so cool! “Strange” is a good way of describing it, yes! :wink:

@TheRosses – What an assortment offered this week, wow! Thank you for all of them, since it looks like we’ve been on the same page this week without my realizing it (been doing a deep dive into the White Stripes, The Legend of Zelda, and Coldplay, myself, too!). Since you have so many listed, I can’t help but inquire as to what you wanted to apply each of those songs to, as well? With my keeping away from spoilers (you all aren’t obligated to, it’s self-imposed), at least on a Season 1 level, I end up wanting to apply “Weird Science” to Cyborg, “Seven Nation Army” to “Crazy Jane, “High Hopes” to Elasti-girl, “Pompeii” to Robotman, and “The Scientist” to Negative Man. :thinking: What’d you have in mind? :slight_smile:

@Razzzcat – Greetings! :smiley: Doing so/so, but that’s more an issue wishing it were winter already than anything else (begone, heat! shakes angry fist). :stuck_out_tongue: How are you doing this week? And thank you for superb rundown of songs! The video game features in “Crimewave” has transported me back to those nights when I used to watch too much Angry Video Game Nerd, lol. Except it’s everything but angry, and I love it – that one’s a great one to chill out to, and I feel like it does a great job representing the word “kooky” since that often comes to mind when I watch this show, lol. By comparison, the more serious tone of “Asleep at the Wheel” hits with a heavy punch, feeling as if it’s well-suited for when things go awry for the group, and a showdown of epic proportions is in order (though, at the song goes, how that’ll end is “anyone’ guess”). :wink: “Walking After Midnight” feels like the aftermath of all of that. Having to clean up the mess caused and restore order, which is a very slow process – makes me think of something that’s had me pensive lately: that it’s always easier to build and maintain (or destroy what’s been built) than it is to clean up and rebuild something. That list of songs keeps the mind traveling, that’s for sure! :blush:

@Walker – Ahh, I love the focus on Alice in Wonderland; there’s so much about Doom Patrol that immediately stands out from its very beginning, and the successful development of that otherworldly feeling that both persists and permeates throughout the show, on the whole, leaves a long-lasting impact that remains with you with the passing of each week and episode. I get a similar feeling from the song chosen, in how it mentions the highs, the lows, and external factors that one has to fight through. Avril’s voice does a beautiful job adding a layer of almost crystalline, child-like innocence to it, which makes a declaration like, “I, I’ll survive. When the world’s crashin’ down, When I fall and hit the ground, I will turn myself around, don’t you try to stop me! I, and I won’t cry,” all the stronger - it’s a fascinating tune I’m glad to be able to add! :slight_smile:

@LDFM – Ohh, yes, you make a good point on the timing, actually; sometimes there’s so much going on that mulling over when to offer each one takes a bit, so I thought the season finale might be best. Still, hearing that you’ve had songs on the backburner is exciting because it means that you’ve been thinking about this for quite a while! I found your choices to be excellent, and love how each one not only displays what you “see” when watching the characters, but what you see of their internal attributes/what makes them tick, as well, despite having spent so little time with them. Oddly enough, I found myself connecting with Negative Man’s song, in particular (you can literally feel the extra time you spent considering it for him rolling off of it in emotive waves), but am amazed by how you all get each character so well, down to their distilled essence. :blush: Did you end up with a favorite yet?

6 Likes

:grin: To Be Continued

Edit: @MissInkBlot will you also be writing comments for western music also? I do apologize for over doing it, adding so many music for Jonah Hex.

2 Likes

I just wanted to describe the show as a whole. Like, I was thinking “What songs remind me of Doom Patrol in general?” and I went with that.

2 Likes

boy oh boy oh boy, i can’t wait to listen to everyone’s picks, and make mine! i might have to break up my submissions (if that’s okay) because my brain’s gonna be thinking of new ones for hours! days! weeks! (I’m way behind on season 2 because i haven’t felt like i’m in a headspace to enjoy it, so mine aren’t as topical as others’)

general themes

Garbage - Not Your Kind of People (the guitar motif sounds creepy, and the song overall has almost an anthem feel)

and @patterson65.37405 and i are on the same page! this is just a modern arrangement of their pick (i loved the brassy '60s style on the early season 1 teasers)

Barry Adamson - The Man With the Golden Arm

When Larry and the Dannyzens go to war with the Bureau of Normalcy (i can just see maura lee karupt bashing a paramilitary goon in slow motion)

Perfume Genius - Queen

3 Likes

To: @MissInkBlot

RE: Importance & Doom

When characters were companions, the creative were inspirations, the turning pages were as crucially warm as a hug, & the four color subdued a lonely earth for a time, is when a comic book saved a life on separate occasions.

From pre-Vertigo to the streaming vertical & horizontal of the screen, my run-in with the Doom Patrol is forever entangled with some of the most consequential moments in my life. Curating a selection of themes reflecting from the comic, the show, the characters, and the times made for great mindfulness. As being de-humanized and invisibility are high costs to bear for clarity.

This mixtape is equally a thank you/love letter as it is a reminiscence.

( ( Intro & Doom ) )
On A Rope by Rocket From the Crypt

They Say I’m Different by Betty Davis

( ( Alienation & Doom ) )
Lost in the Supermarket by The Clash

Bad In My Head by Pain Teens

( ( Frustration & Doom ) )
Cool To Be You by the Descendants

Crying Shame by 7.Y.B.

( ( Anger/Fight & Doom ) )
Sunless Saturday by Fishbone

Young, Gifted, Black, in Leather by Special Interest

Right Brigade by Bad Brains

( ( Savoir Faire & Doom ) )
GO! (feat. Karen O.) by Santigold

Let Yourself Get Down by Luscious Jackson

( ( Bliss & Doom ) )
Punk Rock Girl by The Dead Milkmen

Pata Pata (Stereo Version) by Miriam Makeba

( ( Heartache & Doom ) )
J’ai JetĂ© Mon Coeur by Françoise Hardy

Bring You Back - Wendy & Lisa

( ( Resolution & Doom ) )
The Riot’s Gone by Santigold

Balloon by Wendy & Lisa

Thanks: above / soul / hardcore / riot grrrl / punk / zines / Los Bros. / writers / artists / late nights / Karen B. / Alan M. / Grant M. / Rick V. / Dave G. / Stephen B. / Dave M. / Brian B. / Jill T. / Rachel P. / Nancy C. / Sam K. / Neil G. + @Applejack for the lesson and time / @MissInkBlot & @BestBeastBoy - for shared words on mutual interests / @Pretty.Poison.Bombshell, @NovellPaladin, @ProActress2O, @nu52, @Mae, @Ariel-BatgirlFan, & @bribriibri - each of you for your thoughtfulness & authentic kindness. / the Doom Patrol / all who have also been alienated

*w/a/s/i/t/t/r/u/e/f/o/r/a/n/\a\n\a\l\o\g/\x/h/e/a/r/t/x/w/h/e/n/i/t/w/a/s/o/n/l/y/g/i/v/e/n/d/i/g/i/t/a/l/?

#x:white_heart:|Doomx

7 Likes

Do I have a favorite character yet? I don’t know if I have “one”, it’s a pretty odd, rag tag, band of misfits. And I’m not familiar with Doom Patrol as a group, so it’s all new to me.

Yeah, I’m impressed with what others share also. We should get a Music Meister badge or something going!

4 Likes

OH MY GOD! That “Djazz” was cool, I’ll check them out later to see what else they have. It’s always great finding new music and this thread is a great source.

2 Likes

Hey @MissInkBlot! I’m glad you enjoyed the songs. I’m not glad you’re overheating and longing for winter tho! Here, stare ONLY at this: :snowman_with_snow: :eyes: Also, if this doesn’t work, maybe grrrr, and show some teeth when you shake that angry fist? Certainly feels good for a moment if nothing else. (What? It’s the little things!)

:thinking: I’m of the mind that maintenance is the same as total reconstruction. You have to simultaneously conserve, but adjust/clean at all times, so our work is never technically done. It’s not unlike the way they maintain the Gate Bridge: they paint it 365 days a year. Once they get to the end, they go back to the beginning and start again. And now I wanna listen to Sleater-Kinney
OK, here we go: this song is about said bridge in a manner of speaking. Works for the playlist too. Any one of the characters—dealers choice. :slightly_smiling_face:
:purple_heart: Have a great week.

4 Likes