đŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: John Stewart đŸŽ¶

Welcome back to another installment of Mixtape Monday! August is here, and we’re well in the middle of the dog days over, which made last week’s DC League of Superpets playlist perfectly timed:

DC League of Superpets Playlist
  • “Who Let the Dogs Out”, by Baha Men
  • “My Best Friend”, by Tim McGraw
  • “A Duo”, by Dom DeLuise and Phillip Glasser
  • “Why Should I Worry”, by Billy Joel
  • “Santa’s Helpers”, by Official Sidekick Productions
  • “Chip”, by The Real McKenzies
  • “Walking the Dog”, by The Rolling Stones
  • “SQRL”, by Professor Elemental and Tom Caruana
  • “Atomic Dog”, by George Clinton
  • “Best of Friends”, by Pearl Bailey and Richard Johnston
  • “Cat”, by C418
  • “Save the World”, by Swedish House Mafia
  • “Krypto the Superdog Main Theme”, from Krypto the Superdog
  • “You’re My Best Friend”, by Queen
  • “Dog Days Are Over”, by Florence + the Machine
  • “The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?)”, by Ylvis
  • “The Mississippi Squirrel Revival”, by Ray Stevens
  • “Gonna Buy Me A Dog”, by The Monkees
  • “Dog Eat Dog”, by Ted Nugent
  • “Hound Dog”, by Elvis Presley
  • “Underdog Raps”, by Kyle Massey
  • “Cats and Netflix”, by The Doubleclicks
  • “The Cat Came Back”, by Laurie Berkner
  • “Time Of Our Life”, by Big Time Rush
  • “Enemy”, by Imagine Dragons and JID
  • “I Wanna Be Your Dog”, by The Stooges
  • “Too Many Puppies”, by Primus
  • “You’ve Got a Friend in Me”, by Randy Newman
  • “Maybe Tomorrow (From “The Littlest Hobo”)", by Keith Ferreira
  • “(How Much Is) That Doggie in the Window?”, by Patti Page
  • “The ‘Best Friend’”, by Harry Nilsson
  • “Animal Rights”, by Wolfgang Gartner and deadmau5
  • “Joy to the World”, by Three Dog Night
  • “Animal”, by Neon Trees
  • “Count on Me”, by Bruno Mars
  • “Metameme”, by Sound Tribe Sector 9

This Week’s Theme: John Stewart

This week’s playlist is highlighting one of the brightest stars of the DC Universe and the star of last week’s Green Lantern: Beware My Power-John Stewart! John has had a long and distinguished career as a member of some highly selective teams-the Green Lantern Corps, Justice League, and the USMC. What songs do you think would be on his favorite playlist? Share your picks with us, below!

Here is my pick to start things off:

Due to the high volume of submissions and the limited number of hours in a day, we’ll be selecting two songs from each member, but feel free to share as many as you like!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post tracks of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the list of tunes, two from each user, collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

For our hardcore music lovers, we suggest joining Inky’s Mixtape Mob , a group created to bring all music lovers together in one place. Joining Inky’s Mixtape Mob will make sure you get notified of every playlist update, as well as offer you a custom flair and title to show off your maestro-dom!

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines , the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

13 Likes
11 Likes

“Rooster”, by Alice In Chains

11 Likes
10 Likes

Hello @Green.Lantern, When I think of Jon Stewart, I think of him as a military guy. Hope @Vroom would agree with my first pick! :military_helmet::us:

YO JOE!!!
Actually
YO LANTERN!!!

:00_lc_green_lantern:

11 Likes
8 Likes

Two songs. First up is “Sunshine Superman” by Donovan, which is the only song I can think of that mentions Green Lantern (although I think it was probably either Alan Scott or Hal Jordan given the song came out in 1966).

Second, I seem to recall John’s original appearance was based on Sir Sidney Poitier, so “To Sir, With Love” by Lulu makes sense!

10 Likes

I don’t think I knew that, about Sydney Poitier! I watched In The Heat of the Night recently, so know I’m picturing Poitier as John. That would’ve been amazing.

7 Likes

He would have been fantastic as John!

7 Likes

John Stewart always reminds me of JLU. That’s where I got to know John much better.

10 Likes

Going with a double shot of Triumph,

Subliminal messaging
 maybe. :grin:

11 Likes

Greetings Mix Mob! :notes: :inkys_mixtape_mob2: :dancer:t2: So, John Stewart!

I’m pretty sure I shared this for a Memorial Day playlist a few years ago, but I love it and it feels right for this. :saluting_face: He’s playing a 1917 Wurlitzer in a stairwell and :sob: it’s beautiful.

Evening Colors- Jim Steele

And this one, because
 Detroit. :green_heart: Plz enjoy and have a great week!

Sharivari- The Dirtbombs

13 Likes

this song came out about a year before John debuted

15 Likes

Imagine him reciting the Green Lantern oath!

9 Likes

Here’s my choice for a song, and I think we can imagine John Stewart heading up to the clouds on a mission while this tune plays in the background:

12 Likes

That would be incredible!

6 Likes

I always agree with G.I. Joe, good sir. Excellent pick! :+1:t2:

6 Likes
10 Likes

Easily my favorite song by Donovan. He also has one that mentions Supergirl in some context, but I’ve not yet heard it.

As for John
I’ll have to think this one out. Like @TravisMorgan, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited are where I came to know John, and their musical openings are pretty darn triumphant calls to badassery for John, I feel.

8 Likes

I think you’re right about Donovan mentioning Supergirl, but I can’t recall which song! Anyway, “Sunshine Superman” has always been my favorite Donovan song too.

7 Likes