🎶 Mixtape Monday: John Stewart 🎶

For a while, John was the keeper of the Mosaic World, so you might say it was his job to “pick up the pieces.” In light of that, I thought I’d go with The Ramones “My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down (Bonzo Goes to Bitburg)” to honor that decidedly trippy series.

And even for a superhero, John’s love life has been, to use an understatement, rough. That’s why the other song I went with is Def Leppard’s “Love Bites.”

Also, yes, I’m feeling very 80’s today… :crazy_face:

13 Likes

To me, this encapsulates John’s willpower, courage, leadership skills, and his desire for Justice.

12 Likes

This is a nice variety of songs for John. There’s a lot to his character, with his GL history, military background, being an architect, and civil rights and justice issues, so it’s seeing a diverse mix of songs on this playlist. :0_lc_green_lantern_john_stewart:

10 Likes

I’m gonna add to @CaptainYesterday’s post and posit this one (even if it does link to a certain Marvel movie…)

12 Likes
12 Likes

I think he’d like this one.

12 Likes

I say this with love, John Stewart strikes me as the kind of guy who says stuff like “I miss when bands played real instruments” and insists there was no good hip-hop released after 2005 despite having not listened to new music since 2008.

5 Likes

John seems like a classic Motown dude. He’s classy like that.

4 Likes

I love your analysis of John, @bookwormfitzpatrick.91230! :smile:

3 Likes

I feel like his cutoff is much earlier. My headcanon John Stewart never bought a CD player, refuses to buy anything produced digitally, let alone consider MP3s or streaming audio, and primarily listens to music published before he was born (based on modern timeline) on vinyl. Maybe he has a cassette deck where he can listen to the mix tapes his sixth grade girlfriend made for him back in the day.

4 Likes

I got em pegged for a lover of all genres. The type that would surprise u when he put a tune on. Very eclectic. Those military vets have soundtracks literally playing while their fighting. Or they roll into some far away country, & enter the hot zone with Metallica blasting out of the top of their tank, along with ammo.

2 Likes

Also, I feel like Lanterns in general would’ve tried lots of different genres of music as they’re flying through space (I wonder if the rings can play music?). Although I can mostly just picture Guy listening to sports radio all the time. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I always thought what it would be like for another race to hear our music & Vice versa. I wonder if there’s a planet where they have a band that would just completely blow anything we’ve ever had out of the water. Or, if we’re the ones with that band? I’m assuming there’s bands in space I’m way past living beings I know those are out there. I just wanna ask em, can u play???

2 Likes

That is a really interesting thought! I’ve studied a little about how music varies across cultures just on this planet. There’s a lot of notes or melodies that are more associated with one emotion, like happiness or anger, in a certain culture, but to another they have totally opposite associations. It’s something I think is fascinating and would love to study more.

2 Likes

That’s awesome. I’ve never heard of that. I studied how dialects can do that tho. So, I guess that makes sense, both are tones conveying feelings. I never would’ve known that tho. Ty for the bonus fun fact.

2 Likes

Ok I love the idea of a Green Lantern who’s a linguist/anthropologist and is just really excited to learn about alien culture and dialects

2 Likes

How many hilariously bad demo tapes do you think John has hidden? God help him if Wally West finds them

3 Likes

Simon Baz seems like the kind of guy who had a nu metal phase is high school and is ashamed to admit he stills jams to Nookie

3 Likes

Like of his own making? Or people handing him their demo because they think Green Lanterns have an in with big record labels? The first brings me great joy, but the second sounds like a brilliant episode of Justice League that McDuffie never finished.

How annoyed must Wally (or any speedster) be with analog media? A tape deck will only go so fast, so even if he can hear the music at high speed, its never fast enough.

YES.
Sira has been using this fact since high school to try and blackmail him to do her bidding in social situations. But it fails with Jessica because she and he already bonded over this shared guilty pleasure.
They have also gone through great pains to try and explain both Earth pop music genres and the concept of a guilty pleasure to the Guardians, to no avail.

4 Likes

Okay I was imagining John having some bad demo tapes from his ill-fated teenage band but the second option is HILARIOUS and I love it.

Now I’m imaging the entire human GLC presenting their Earth pop music powerpoint to The Guardians

4 Likes