Matt Reeves shows first look at The Batmobile!

I’m assuming the reason we didn’t see it in the Bat Bike photos was for safety reasons with the driver. With stunts like that, CG capes usually get added in post

5 Likes

Diggin the car, but still not sure about those ears…

5 Likes

Reminds me very much of the Neal Adams version of the Batmobile. He always said it shouldn’t be too crazy or you couldn’t drive it down the street.

4 Likes

Cannot wait to see the bat suit and bat mobile in action. :metal:t4::triumph:

3 Likes

If they’ve got low ratio or power steering, it’s not too different, really. I learned in a 70s hooptie w/ NO power steering & Im still here! (Dad insisted) I still drive a manual. It’s more fun—slaaaays on snow days too​:metal:t3::dancer:t2:

5 Likes

Meh? It’s not that it doesn’t look cool, but it doesn’t look practical. I grew up in a muscle car family. I learned to drive in an old Corvette (L98). It looks like a Plymouth to me. That’s all well and good for making haste in a straight line. If they are aiming for realism maybe something with handling would make sense? I wish they had based it on something like an 80’s BMW M6, or if it needed to be even larger maybe a Lotus X180.

2 Likes

Not really a fan of the look. I see what they are going for but that is not the type of Batmobilie I prefer I guess.

2 Likes

Never thought I would see car talk on the DC community forums, but this was very interesting and insightful :slight_smile:!

5 Likes

I just remember thinking, in Batman 89…
Why would you choose to make an armored vehicle so large that it requires a grappling hook to make a left turn at higher speeds? Same apples here. Honestly, the last batmobile was the most believable to me to date.

This car is totally believable, but it seems to suffer the same physical limitations as the 89/92 batmobile. Maybe Batman likes to race Gotham’s citizens between red lights in this universe? It looks like something from a “Fast” movie to me.

4 Likes

It’s funny you mention 89’s car because it’s kind of the exact vibe this new one gives me. I don’t know much about cars, but this is definitely something I’ll look out for. I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled so I can chuckle when this new car is making swift and accurate turns throughout Gotham.

3 Likes

Howdy! Bienvenido!

2 Likes

. Honestly, the last batmobile was the most believable to me to date

That one reminded me of a Slingshot but with 4 wheels. Frankly, I’m not sure how that car can handle well either lol. Going into these films, you gotta have a lot of suspension of disbelief especially with tech. I think only the Nolan verse films made some attempt at pseudo-science when describing Batman’s gadgets and trying to make it more “grounded.” It does not really break the verisimilitude for me.

Fast and Furious films on the other hand, really piss me off lol. I can’t suspend my disbelief enough at the law breaking physics they showcase. It’s so excessive. I’m just like :unamused: and wanna leave.

7 Likes

@Bukdiah I have oftentimes criticized my suspension of disbelief on here. I frustrate myself! I think I like that last car because it isn’t a car. I don’t know what it is. I can’t even see how it works. If it’s totally unreal I accept it better than something that tries to be more grounded in reality, but doesn’t work inside the rest of the fictional work.

If that makes sense.

I guess either embrace the insanity fully or be fully grounded? I’m not sure. It’s just how this particularly dumb brain works. Wish it didn’t all the time.

Maybe this movie will work in a way that supports the new car in the end? I don’t know.

5 Likes

That makes sense. I’m a bit of a mixed bag. Take Iron Man for example.

It is super fantastical that you have a human inside a metal suit flying around. If he stops super abruptly, he would get killed from G forces and inertia. We can suspend our disbelief and enjoy it for what it is. However, I think the movie makes reference that he has some inertia dampeners in the suit which is a nice touch that I appreciate.

4 Likes

Right! I have serious issues with Iron Man, but Ant-Man works for me because “what the heck is happening?”

This car is fine. It looks cool. It’s a very 80’s throwback.

I’ve always been partial to the Batmobile I grew up with. Detective Comics 601 (I think) springs to mind. It’s what made me mention a Lotus earlier.

We all have our ideas of what the car should be. This has always been mine.

Maybe this new one will grow on me.

4 Likes

Intresting, I find the 4 wheel slingshot to be much more grounded and I relate to it better and feel more immersed by it, than by Burton’s '89 batmobile.

Actually the Holden based chassis of the gen 5 camaro can be made to handle as well, or very close to a modern BMW M4. It requires changing out the suspension with different shocks/struts (I used Bilstiens), Progressive rate springs springs with urethane bushings,(Eibach), Larger Sways (Hotchkis), and a subframe brace. (Hotchkis). How do I know this set up works? Cuz I’ve built it and drive it. It does freak out the occasional BMW driver who thinks a Camaro shouldn’t be able to hold its own, handling wise, with a BMW M series, but it can. Just takes research, knowledge and looking at the factory weights, and driving dynamics.

4 Likes

Maybe that works. I’m not that savvy and I definitely don’t have a Lucius Fox in my closet.

3 Likes

I’m stoked for it. Looks gritty and grungy and I think that’ll be a good mix with the DC cinematic if it ties in.

3 Likes

Yeah, looks similar to a Barracuda or a 70’s Dodge Charger. Maybe a late 60’s Camaro. But A) there’s nothing saying it doesn’t include massive changes to weight, suspension and even traction control (as much as ppl are talking about the Aronofsky script, they aren’t going with that one, right? Bruce Wayne could well make a modern-day Lambo that looks like a Hemi 'Cuda).

B) It’s comic book rules that don’t necessarily have to make sense. Lest we forget, Nick Fury’s Suburban was an armed tank that handled and functioned the same as any SUV. I certainly didn’t need an explanation why. Not sure if anyone else feels the same.

4 Likes

To quote Mamoa’s Aquaman: “I can dig it”.

It looks rad, and will hopefully translate into some schway toys too.

3 Likes