"Look What I Just Got" Thread (Part 1)

Very interesting! My own shelves are primarily stuffed full of BOOKS and DVDS! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I have shelves full of books too, as books kick ass! :nerd_face:

Up to 2018, I had shelves and shelves full of many, many, VHS, DVDs, Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays (along with a scant few LaserDiscs), but I sold all of those, as I moved away from the physical, pre-recorded and pre-packaged media neighborhood and into the digital neighborhood.

Selling off a huge physical media collection then opened up a lot of room for more of my articulated plastic friends to come by and kick-it with me. :nerd_face:

10 Likes

I have made the decision to never be fully reliant on The Algorithm for my visual media, so I’mma keep all my DVDs!

8 Likes

That’s good thinking. A lot of what I watch the most are sitcom reruns. I need to keep an eye out for more DVDs, because if I had a few more series like Cheers and all of King of the Hill I’d be in pretty good shape for TV viewing, apart from sports.

8 Likes

Get with the times mon frere, as DVD and its 480 video are passé. :wink:

These days, the physical media landscape (something I still follow closely, due to work-related stuff and my own interest, even though the last physical release I bought was Wonder Woman on 4K Blu-ray in 2017) is all about 4K and to a lesser extent, HD.

As was said by hippies on The Simpsons, “Contemporize, man!” :nerd_face:

Are you a Wings fan, by chance?

Out of This World, Mr. Belvedere and/or NewsRadio, as well?

7 Likes

I do love Wings, actually! I like a lot of older sitcoms. I am trying to collect more blu-ray and higher quality video, but a lot of the shows I like don’t seem to be on those. Plus I can get much better deals on DVD. I got the complete series sets of King of Queens, Taxi, and Sanford and Son for about $30 each on DVD.

8 Likes

Great Rao, another Wings fan in the community! At last! :smile:

Are you Team Lowell or Team Budd?

Speaking of, I saw Brian “Budd Bronski” Haley on Classic Concentration last year.

He was talking to Alex Trebek about his aspiring acting career, and I thought “Well, you’ll make it onto a well-known sitcom in the years ahead, so you’ve got that going for you, which is nice.”

Anyhow, I’m Team Lowell and…Team Casey.

6 Likes

DVD box sets are where it is!

To me “DVD” is shorthand for “blurays, dvds, 4k, whateve disc media I decided to buy”. However, several things I don’t care enough to get 1080p for, or 1080p is prohibitively expensive. Or not available in my region, and I don’t feel like going through the rigamorole of getting region-free or whatever players and stuff.

6 Likes

Fair enough. Different strokes for different folks.

However, I’m a home video enthusiast that’s a stickler for accuracy (a common trait in the home video landscape).

When I hear/read “DVD”, it means “the home video format that debuted in Japan in late 1996, in the U.S. in March of 1997 and while long since having been technically outpaced by Blu-ray and 4K UHD Blu-ray, it will likely remain the all-time best-selling physical media format.”

Like I said, I’m a stickler for this stuff. :wink: I collected it for years, sold it at retail and I did freelance consulting work in the home video industry on certain titles released over the last 15 years.

You just never know who you’ll meet and substantially befriend at a comic book store and/or in your movie theater management gig that can open doors for you, locally and elsewhere. :slight_smile:

Region-free players are worth the effort.

I never had one, but a friend of mine did (which is why I didn’t, you see :wink:), and it was pretty sweet to take in releases that weren’t, or would never be in some cases, available in the U.S.

SN: I enjoy a hearty plate of rigmarole, especially with an ice-cold Sprite to wash it down with. :drooling_face:

5 Likes

We all must do what we must do!

But while we’re at it, you know what is available on HD on Netflix for you to watch???

COBRA KAI! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

And as the Keymaker said in The Matrix Reloaded, “We do only what we’re meant to do.”

Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory?

:smile: I’m fairly certain that former YouTube (YouTube Red?) original series is on Netflix in 4K, my friend. :slight_smile:

SN: Seinfeld is on Netflix in 4K, and to paraphrase the best modern TV Lois, “Its spectacular!”

…and yes, I will watch Cobra Kai at some point. I want to nerd out over it with you, @DC89 and whoever else among us that digs it, along with my family, friends and work acquaintances that swear by it.

Spoil one thing for me: Does Johnny get his butt kicked at all?

4 Likes

Well, despite being a determinist, I’m not the kind of determinist that the Keymaster is. :slight_smile:

I have no 4K tv. My TV isn’t even 1080p, I’m pretty sure, as I bought it for 5 dollars from a guy on facebook without a remote. It serves my purposes perfectly, though - I just watch my stories and characters and my heart expands!

Every single character in the show gets their butt kicked pretty thoroughly. Like, a lot a lot. But almost every single character ALSO gets to kick some butts! It’s one of the best things about the series!

4 Likes

If the screen is rectangular, the unit is thin when viewed from the sides and when you watch a DVD (as in DVD :wink:) of Tim Burton’s Batman on it, there are no black bars at the top or bottom of the picture, then its made within the last 15-20 years, is 16x9 and HD-capable.

Stories and the characters within are the key things to prioritize, so I’ll kick a Sprite your way for that one.

nudges a green plastic bottle of Sprite over

Good that Johnny does. In The Karate Kid, he’s the prototypical '80s **** that I thoroughly disliked when I was a kid and when Daniel does his finishing move on him, I always cheer (usually internally, but sometimes out loud) Daniel on.

SN: Have you seen the Karate Kid TV series, from the late '80s?

4 Likes

I have not seen the cartoon, though there’s some easter eggs from it in Cobra Kai. :slight_smile:
The thing about Cobra Kai and butts getting kicked is…everyone in the show has been bullied, and everyone has been a bully. I really appreciate the richness of the moral examination of the characters, without losing the strong sense of right and wrong present in the original films. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Over the weekend, my wife was picking up some supplies from Hobby Lobby. While we were there, I saw this-

Which gave me an idea.

Also, I ordered this from RSVLTS- it’s a $70 shirt they have on sale right now for $28. They have a few different Superman styles, but this was my favorite. Excuse the wild hair-

17 Likes

I have a huge DVD collection. I just don’t trust digital media and a lot of what I watch isn’t available on digital or streaming. Classic movie and TV fan with outre tastes!

8 Likes

Those RSVLTS shirts are fantastic! I’ve got a few Batman shirts and a Superman shirt from them, and they look/feel great. Not too crazy about the button down collar, but that’s more of a nit-pick :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Love it! What a great idea. Really adds to the collection.

Nice shirt as well. Perfect for any formal affair or soirée.

10 Likes

In the words of the DCAU Dan “Terrible” Terpin, “Holy Joe!”

Why, one could nab a bag of those figures, customize them into characters that aren’t getting much spotlight in the toy/collectible ecosphere ATM and have a unique collection of figures entirely their own!

To paraphrase Data in Star Trek: Generations, “Excellent idea, @TheTerrificToyman!”

Heh-heh, I see where you’re going with that. :wink: Still one of Lex’s best moments in the modern era.

As John “Star Trek’s Q” DeLancie said to my dad 30 years ago, “Nice shirt.”

Why excuse your Clark Kent-ian locks? You look :superman:uper, man. :+1:t2:

10 Likes

Definitely better than when he asked me how many Robins I lost shortly after.

RIP Dirk the forgotten Robin who never made the historical picture books.

8 Likes