Live Q&A with Marv Wolfman, writer of NEW TEEN TITANS, NEW GODS, and So Much More! Wednesday, 5/20 @11am PT/2pm ET

Good day to you Mr. Wolfman! With so many great questions asked I just wanted to say thank you very much for your time in answering these questions. :superman_hv_4:
I also really enjoyed reading through Crisis on Infinite Earths event in the comics, and having your cameo in the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover on the CW was a very fun surprise! Quite the feat in getting The Flash and Supergirl to give you an autograph considering how it played out in the comics. :wink: :smile:
Hope that you and your family continue to stay safe and healthy during this time and thank you again for stopping by and chatting with us! :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

No questions, Marv. I just want to express my thanks for the great pleasure I have received from reading your work.

4 Likes

Hi this is Marv Wolfman! Iā€™m really glad to be here and I canā€™t wait to answer all your questions.

19 Likes

Hello Marv! Did you ever want to add a new member to the team that you just couldnā€™t, for whatever reason?

2 Likes

Iā€™m working and canā€™t hang around, so just here to ā€œOoo!ā€ and marvel when I can, but wanted to say thank you so much for all of the wonderful work with the Titans and for giving fans some of your time during all of this craziness!

3 Likes

Just wanted to say hello and thank you mr. Wolfman for all the amazing comics youā€™ve given us!!

1 Like

I may have helped create Donna Troy way back when, but I really have nothing to do with the TV show so I donā€™t know whatā€™s been going on. I love the show, I think itā€™s great and I canā€™t wait to see what they do with it, but Iā€™m have no idea what the plans are so I donā€™t know if sheā€™s going to be electrocuted.

I think thatā€™s above my paygrade to say if she would get killed or not, I donā€™t know what they have plans for on the show. Weā€™ll just have to wait and see. And frankly, the fact that youā€™re showing so much interest means you really like the show as well, which I think is great!

9 Likes

Hello Mr. Wolfman! Your run on Teen Titans is one of my favorite comic book series ever! Anyway, hereā€™s my question: What animal would you most like to see Gar change into on the Titans show here on DC Universe?

1 Like

I think there are so many different Teen Titans stories that I wrote and George Perez drew, there are so many that we like itā€™s hard to say this is my all-time favorite. For instance, if I said The Judas Contract, somebody else might say Who Is Donna Troy? If I said A Pretty Girl is Like A Malady, theyā€™d be wondering about A Day in the Life. I donā€™t have a specific favorite, but I really like an awful lot of them.

10 Likes

Dead Man, Adam Strange, the Atomic Knights, various characters that I grew up with and they were cancelled long before I became a professional, so I didnā€™t have a chance to work on them.

9 Likes

I think to look back at a story written 30, 40 years ago, and base it on whatā€™s being done today, is unfair. So I would actually not change anything, except if I made spelling or grammar mistakes. Other than that it has to reflect the time period it was written in.

11 Likes

Hi Marv! My own question is already posted. But the reference here is to an event thatā€™s already happened in the season finale. I suspect that Donna might be revived on Themyscira (Purple Healing Ray?) so that she could potentially return in the future. But sheā€™s allegedly dead.

1 Like

Thanks for answering my question. @MarvWolfman. It would be great to see you get a chance to write those.

3 Likes

I think some writers like to tell stories that are a little bit darker because thereā€™s something in it that makes them feel itā€™s more realistic. I tend to go back and forth, sometimes if the story demands it or the character needs it at that point. Other times I will try to write a more fun story. I go back and forth between the two. Iā€™m not sure why others may prefer one over the other, but speaking for me, I do what I feel is necessary for that particular story.

12 Likes

Obviously, when we created him nobody was a fan of him because they hadnā€™t seen it. We knew that the character was something special, right from day one. So weā€™re thrilled, both of us are totally thrilled at how many fans say thatā€™s the character they love. You donā€™t expect that with villains, so Iā€™m very happy the work we did on it was conveyed to readers and they love it. itā€™s a great character. And heā€™s been on TV multiple times with different actors, and heā€™s always been played well.

11 Likes

Hi Marv,
The Teen Titans was a huge part of my childhood. Thank you!
Was it your decision to evolve Dick Grayson from Robin into Nightwing? That is one of the most classic superhero character arcs ever!
ā€¦And who came up with the name ā€œNightwingā€?

4 Likes

Itā€™s pretty incredible. Any creator, whether itā€™s a writer or an artist or anyone down the line, wants to think theyā€™ve come up with something that people can embrace. The fact that people still love the Titans 40 ,45, 50 years later, indicates that George Perez and I did our job correctly then, and what we wanted to write and draw, and the reader still want to read. Weā€™re very thankful people still love those characters.

10 Likes

George and I talked about it, and decided to go with the continuity that was happening at the moment, that he wasnā€™t involve with it. Part of the Criss was to make the characters easier to follow for people who were not DC readers. DC readers understood it all, but people who were not DC readers might be confused if Hal Jordan suddenly popped up when there was a different character in John Stewart being Green Lantern at that time. So we decided not to use Hal to make it easer to understand. I have no idea if it was a good or bad choice, but 40 years later, it was the choice.

13 Likes

Well, I wasnā€™t thinking all that much into the future when I had been writing the Teen Titans for 16 years when I finally said, maybe itā€™s time to move on and give somebody else a crack at it. I donā€™t think there was a lot I wanted to do. I still have one story I want to tell, but other than that I donā€™t have any stories with the Titans in mind. Maybe an individual character, Iā€™d love to write a Raven or Cyborg or Starfire story, but I donā€™t need to write the whole team right now.

12 Likes

Actually, Deathstroke is one of two characters that came to me in one second, and Iā€™m not joking. It was not a character that I worked hard on, like say Raven, who I spent a long time on, figuring out who she was. Deathstroke, everything came in one second, and when I told it to George, the costume came right away to him. It was a character that just came to us! Maybe thatā€™s why it works so well.

13 Likes