Live Q&A with Marv Wolfman, writer of NEW TEEN TITANS, NEW GODS, and So Much More! Wednesday, 5/20 @11am PT/2pm ET

Live Q&A w/ Marv Wolfman, Wed, 5/20 @11am PT/2pm ET!

QA-Box (1)
Please limit the number of questions asked to only 1; this way, everyone has a chance to get a response in the limited time we have :slight_smile: Thanks!

Add your questions in the comments below, and come back at 11am PT/2pm ET on Wednesday, May 20th to read Wolfman’s answers LIVE!

Can’t wait for the Q&A? Catch Wolfman’s latest chat with DC Daily right over here!

👈Click Arrow For Comics By Marv Wolfman
16 Likes

Mr. Wolfman It is truly an honor to be given the chance to ask you a question. Thank you so much for all the amazing work you’ve done. The New Teen Titans is one of my favorite comic runs of all time! When I first came across them it was like finding a treasure, they have brought me so much joy thank you. I am so glad that Man and Superman finally got published. It’s absolutely Fantastic! It felt like a hybrid of John Byrne’s Man of Steel and Donner’s Superman 78’ while being uniquely yours giving us a story of Clark’s life as he transitions from being on the farm to the big city and discovering who Superman is meant to be. Just beautiful, thank you.
Okay, had to get that out of the way first.

In Titans S2, Donna Troy seems to die from being electrocuted after catching a transformer tower. As you wrote her, she is hit by lightning at least 4 times in The New Teen Titans. It seems her bracelets took most of the hit, and maybe magic helps more than the fact they’re metal conduits. But in your opinion, do you think catching a transformer tower would kill her?

New Teen Titans 1984 run issue 27 pg. 19 and 20

Titans' Season 2 Finale 'Nightwing' Review: An Underwhelming ...

Thank you so much for stopping by DCU and doing this Q&A.

9 Likes

Hello Marv,
Thankyou for your time, I wanted to say Thank you so much for recreating Teen Titans by adding Cyborg, Starfire, Raven and Beastboy. My question is which Teen Titans story was your favorite that you wrote? :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Hello Mr.Wolfman,thanks for doing this q&a it’s an honor to have you here. What are some of the dc characters you would like to write that you haven’t gotten to do yet?

5 Likes

Hi, Mr. Wolfman!

First, thank you for the New Titans. I loved the comic growing up and I appreciate you for bringing us these great characters and their adventures.

If you could go back and update or change anything from your Titans run, what would it be?

6 Likes

Hi Mr. Wolfman. First off, thank you for all you have done. My question is this: Why do you think so many writers and others who create stories about superheroes want to go dark? There has to be room for superhero tales that are just plain fun.

5 Likes

Hello Thanks for stopping by.

I’m a huge Deathstroke fan. What was it like for you and George PĂ©rez creating him?

5 Likes

Mr. Wolfman, thanks for giving us your time. You really created a phenomenal set of characters in the Teen Titans that have managed to transcend their original decade. Cyborg is now DC’s largest black character and Deathstroke is one of DC’s largest villains. Raven and Starfire are also beloved unique female charcters.

How does it feel to know that people still cherish your creations so long after your original run?

4 Likes

MARV! It’s such a joy to have you here! Your “Man and Superman” is one of my all-time favorite Superman stories, and it was such a delight to see you recognized in CW’s Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Here’s my question: during CRISIS, you and George had basically every single character from DC’s history show up at some point during the event, in some capacity or another. Conspicuously absent, however, upon my most recent read through: Hal Jordan. I know he was kind of retired at the time, but so were many of the heroes who stepped back into action for the climactic event. Was there some reason he didn’t show?

11 Likes

Hello Mr. Wolfman! So very honored and excited to have you here!

My question: What types of storylines/ideas would you create if you were given a lengthier run on New Teen Titans (like Claremont on Uncanny X-Men)?

4 Likes

Mr. Wolfman it is great to be in the presence of someone who has given so much to the comic book industry and thank you for continuing to do what you love. My question for you is did you have an inspiration when you were creating Deathstroke and if so what led you to that?
Thank you for your time!

5 Likes

Hello, Mr. Wolfman!

Thanks for taking the time to do this Q&A! My question is about your (relatively) recent Man and Superman one-shot (which was fantastic and Claudio Castellini deserves to be a far bigger name than he is); What was the conversation like when DC told you that they would finally be releasing it?

Thanks so much! Keep up the good work!

4 Likes

What? Wow! What? Marv Wolfman? Here? I’ll keep my opener brief, but I just wanted to say that Crisis on Infinite Earths was one of the first comics I ever read (well, technically my dad read it to me, but that’s neither here nor there) and it’s been such a huge influence on my life. As for the question, I’m just curious as to what your notes/research was like for Crisis. It’s just such a massive story playing very nearly every DC storyline up to that point. So how did the research play into writing the story?

5 Likes

Hi Mr Wolfman! It’s an honor to have you here! I’ve long been a fan of your work on Green Lantern. My question is if you had a chance to rewrite COIE, would you include Hal Jordan in your story? If so, I know it’s a big event but could you talk about what kind of role will he take, or give us one or two plots about this character you might want to write?
Thank you for your time!

4 Likes

Hi Mr. Wolfman, huge fan and thank you for doing a Q&A with us. I was wondering since you are the architect of the biggest event comics of all time in your opinion what makes for a successful event crossover and what happens to the ones that fall short? Any examples are appreciated, thank you so much!

4 Likes

Welcome Marv!

Even though Deathstroke was introduced as an adversary for the Teen Titans, over the years creators like yourself have used him as a foe for Batman.

Deathstroke/Slade Wilson is now often portrayed as a dark mirror image of Batman/Bruce Wayne. Wintergreen is even like Slade’s own Alfred to an extent.

So my question is, in the back of your mind did you always see Deathstroke as the antithesis of Batman, or was this an idea you slowly discovered as you delved deeper into the character of Slade Wilson?

6 Likes

Hello Mr. Wolfman,

It’s a pleasure to have you on here, and we thank you for taking the time! As a relatively new fan, I have a more general question pertaining to the comic-making process: what do you think are the most significant differences in the way writers and artists work together now, compared to when you first started in the industry?

6 Likes

Hello Mr. Wolfman! Thank you for doing this Q&A!
My question is, if you could give one piece of advice to aspiring comic writers and/or artist, what would it be?

4 Likes

Hello Mr. Wolfman!
Thank you so much for being here!
I was wondering what kinds of things influenced your creation and evaluation of Dick Grayson into Nightwing, especially how much influence came from the previous appearances of Nightwing and Flamebird in previous stories, and what made you decide that Nightwing was the best fit to embody the growth and future of Dick Grayson as a separate hero from Batman?

Nightwing is by far my favorite character and three years ago I planned a huge birthday party that my mother flew into town to attend. Three people besides her showed up. But she had ordered a beautiful Nightwing cake for me, and I tagged you in it, and you wished me a happy birthday. Thank you for creating such amazing characters, but also for taking a moment to be an amazing character and turn what could have been a terrible birthday into a fabulous one. It’s been three years and I still think about it.

5 Likes

Hello Marv Wolfman,

You are an absolute legend and we are so grateful to have you joining us in the DCU - THANK YOU!

I am a proud owner of the Deathstroke (The Terminator) Volumes and read your comics nearly every day. HUGE fan! (Here’s a piece of art I made recently.)

My 2 Burning :fire:Questions:

1. Were the Deathstroke and Wintergreen characters inspired by anything in real life?

2. When you originally developed Deathstroke, what did you envision for his future?

6 Likes