Live Q&A with Mark Waid, writer of KINGDOM COME, THE FLASH, and So Much More! Wednesday, 5/27 @5pm PT/8pm ET

Want to test your Superman knowledge since you are world expert. Who invented Rao?

1 Like

First, I just wanted to thank you for the years of awesome comics you gave us. These stories are truly inspiring and we’re lucky to have such masterpieces ! I hope one day you’ll return on a DC book, I’d love to read your untold story about why Wally hates time travel !

I only have one question :slight_smile:

• In All-Flash #1 published in 2007, we can see Iris remembering the future of the West family and we have a panel showing a Flash ring containing a Batman suit. What was your plan ?

Thanks a lot !

1 Like

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the Q&A and all the amazing stories throughout the years! Your work on 52, Flash, Kingdom Come and FF were really huge in getting me into comics! My question is have there been any story ideas or plot points that you and your teams came up with that were so crazy that they never got the chance to be made, for whatever reason? What were some of the most wild concepts that got left of the table?

1 Like

Hello Mr. Waid,

My question is what were your initial feelings when Geoff was planning on integrating Kingdom Come into his run on JSA? Were you for or against it, and did you end up enjoying the story, if you read it?

1 Like

Hi Mark,
Thank you for doing this Q&A. I love Kingdom Come, Birthright, and your run on The Flash is my favorite comic run of all time. I hope one day you will write again for Wally. My question is since many silver age characters like Hal and Barry have returned from the dead, Wally and the rest of his generation have been shoved to the side. How do you think Wally and other legacy characters in similar situations like Kyle Rayner, Donna Troy, and Dick Grayson should be handled?

2 Likes

Kingdom Come was released over 20 years ago. Kingdom Come Superman essentially had his last big role during the JSA’s Thy Kingdom Come around 2008.
Do you wish to write more with KC Superman, and could we see him in modern continuity with you as the writer?

3 Likes

Hi Mr Waid, big fan! Would you do something similar to your excellent History of the Marvel Universe for DC and how has it been working with Neal Adams on Fantastic 4?!?! Thanks for your time!

2 Likes

Big fan as well! You’re in my writers all-time top 5 easy!!
I admire your comic history knowledge as well!!
I believe that in today’s state of the industry an intercompany crossover will benefit the comic industry as a whole. If you were to write a big event intercompany (The Big Two and any other), what would be your choice of characters and what kind of story would you like to write if you had free reign?

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time. As with all people in this craft, everyone has inspiration from others. From what you’ve been told:
What was the best thing that you inspired?

1 Like

Hi Mr. Waid
My favorite Flash story of all time is the “Return of Barry Allen”. I was wondering how you came up with the idea for that story, especially bringing back Johnny Quick, Max Mercury, and especially how you decided to bring back the reverse flash after him being away for 10 years? I especially enjoy the modification of Quicksilver into Max Mercury, how did you know of that character ? Also if you could write a Max Mercury mini-series - what would be the high level hook for that series?

Thank you. I am loving the Flash by Mark Waid collections.

2 Likes

When it comes to writing stories of popular characters what process do you take to decide which elements of the character from the past you want to keep vs which elements you add that make the story new and unique to ‘Mark Waid’?

1 Like

Good evening, everyone. I hope everyone’s faring reasonably well under the current conditions. I’m here to answer your questions! I can’t promise I’ll get to all of them, but the good news is that I’m a fast typist, so let’s go!

18 Likes

Thanks for taking the time!!

2 Likes

He, dkalban! Birthright’s my favorite DC work because it’s my love letter to Superman. My job as a writer is to take the characters and show you why they’re great. Hopefully, I did a good job.

11 Likes

Hey, cyberbatgirl. It’s a tough call–I do like writing both, but they’re using different muscles. With solo series, I can get into characters’ heads better. With team books, I literally use (or make) trading cards to move around on my desk to keep track so that I don’t forget to use someone in a scene!

12 Likes

We’re talking. And, yes, the Summer of Love would be the era we’d want to tackle. Stay tuned.

6 Likes

Tough one! The best Legion stories IMO are the ones with smaller casts, like the first Mordru story, but then you don’t get the feel of the whole concept. Off the top of my head, I’d say the Great Darkness Saga.

9 Likes

Freelance careers take weird turns sometimes! There’s no doubt that I love the DC Universe. That’s all I can say…for now.

9 Likes

We talked about it quite a bit. Dwayne was an awesome guy. I am a science nerd, yes, and that background has taught me to be very analytical about dissecting stories done by great writers and finding out what makes them tick.

11 Likes

Editor Brian Augustyn and I wanted to give Wally a sidekick with a twist–he’d be so much like Wally that they’d hate each other! But once we realized WE loved Impulse, he softened–and luckily, that ended up being the key that allowed him to have his own series!

12 Likes