Live Q&A with Mark Waid, writer of KINGDOM COME, THE FLASH, and So Much More! Wednesday, 5/27 @5pm PT/8pm ET

Live Q&A w/ Mark Waid, Wed, 5/27 @5pm PT/8pm ET!

Wednesday_QAFacebook
We are honored to invite to our Community Mark Waid, writer of Kingdom Come, 52 (2010), Superman: Birthright, Legion of Super-Heroes (2005), and so much more!

Please limit the number of questions asked to ONLY 1; this way, everyone has a chance to get a response in the limited time we have. Thanks!

Add your questions in the comments below, and come back at 5pm PT/8pm ET on Wednesday, May 27th to read Waid’s answers LIVE!

Can’t wait for the Q&A? Catch Waid’s latest chat with DC Daily right over here!

👈Click Arrow For Comics By Mark Waid
17 Likes

When we met at Baltimore Comic Con 2018, you told me Superman: Birthright was your favorite DC work of yours. Could you go into a little bit about why it’s your favorite?

6 Likes

Do you prefer writing team or solo series?

5 Likes

Not a DC question, but: will there be a third installment in the “Archie: 19XX” series (maybe set in the 1960s)?

2 Likes

Mr. Waid thank you for all the amazing stories you’ve given us. If you could choose, which Legion story would you like to see adapted for the big screen, if not an original plot.

5 Likes

Dear Mr.Waid
When did you leave DC Comics 12 years ago in 2008 :thinking: :question: and will you ever come to DC Comics soon :question: :thinking:

5 Likes

Welcome Mark!

You and the late/great Dwayne McDuffie are the few comic writers I know who either studied and/or have physics degrees. He joked that while useful for writing science-fiction related comic stories, he wrecked perfectly good action sequences by figuring out the rate of fuel consumption in the Justice League’s space shuttles

Don’t know if you and Dwayne ever got to talk with each other about your mutual physics/science backgrounds when he was still alive, but I’m curious how having that scientific background has influenced or affected you as a writer?

7 Likes

Welcome Mr. Waid! Thank you so much for doing this!

Bart Allen is one of my all time favorite characters. What was your thought process behind creating him and bringing him into the Flash series with Wally?

5 Likes

Hi Mr. Waid,

Kingdom Come was such a groundbreaking comic; do you have any more ideas for that story line? Or do we just have live with the fact that it is done and over with for good? Ha ha.

Thanks

8 Likes

Hi mr.Waid I’m an aspiring screenwriter. I loved the story structure of kingdom Come. I was wondering what degrees should I go into to get noticed by DC?

Thank you so much for creating Nightstar.

2 Likes

Hi Mr. Waid, I’ve been a longtime fan of you. Thank you for joining us.
My question is, how do you consider Wally’s situation in the DC Universe now? Like, do you think it needs to be fixed and how do you think can we fix it? Would you like to take a hand in it?

3 Likes

Hi Mr.Waid , will you come back DC to write a Captain Marvel/Billy Batson series?

3 Likes

Mark! I’m so glad to have you here! Welcome to our DC Universe community; thank you so much for coming by.

Years ago, I managed to get my hands on a copy of Alan Moore’s original pitch document for “Twilight of the Superheroes,” his never produced major DC event inspired by traditional accounts of the end of days. I was surprised to find many elements therein which draw parallels to your later Kingdom Come series with Alex Ross. I’ve always wanted to ask: is this coincidence of the two of you drawing from the same rich mythical source material as applied to DC iconography, or did you get a look at “Twilight” and find inspiration from Moore’s foundation?

7 Likes

Oh, hai Mark,
I love your comic book Irredeemable, was the character Plutonian and the storyline something that was in your mind for awhile? Thanks.

6 Likes

Hiya Mark.

I was incredibly happy to see your interview on DC Daily last(ish) week. I do follow your work for the Marvelous competition (and others), but you’re one of the writers that - over the years - has made DC truly feel like home to me. Thank you for that, and I’d like you to know that you are missed by at least this fan.

Since this week was Miracle Monday, I figured I’d ask a question in honor of that: which of the Elliot S! Maggin books influenced you more, Last Son of Krypton or Miracle Monday?

2 Likes

Mark as someone who has experienced every Batman and Superman story ever produced in every medium (or at least all of them through the early aughts) which do you think are the most underrated stories featuring each hero?

3 Likes

Hello - Superman Birthright was such an incredible origin story. I mean the concepts and details used to display his abilities. Would you or have you consider doing a story for a more obscure hero, someone that the public is not as familiar with to bring them to life like you did with Birthright? And if so who?

2 Likes

Mark,
I share a similar educational background, having a Degree in Physics that I “put aside” to peruse a career in Sci-Fi/ Fantasy Graphic Literature.
The more I learned about Physical and Natural Laws, the more I felt the need to explore my growing imagination of the “What if…”, based on Science Fact.
My question : At the start, were you inspired by Physics to “Create”, or was your want to “Create” the motivation for your studies? Are they symbiotic at this point?
Thank you for the many years of Spectacular and Profound stories, you have given us all so much!

4 Likes

Mr. Waid, I can’t thank you enough for your role in the development of Wally West maturing into the role of The Flash! Can you share any details of that story that soured Wally on time
travel that you never got to tell? THANK YOU for giving me years of inspiration as I followed my uncles’ footsteps into becoming a first responder!

5 Likes

Hi, Mr. Waid - I was introduced to comics via your work on The Flash, which initially featured the work of the late Mike Wieringo. I know you’ve discussed him in the past but what was it like working with Mike and what was the process for bringing some of those stories to live via his art? There were some pretty wild concepts in those issues, including time travel and the speed force - were there ever communication issues between you two or did he ever interpret a panel in a way you didn’t expect?

4 Likes