Live Q&A with Cameron Gellman, Hourman of STARGIRL! Fri, 6/26 @11am PT/2pm PT

Hey, what’s up guys! My name is Cameron, and I play Hourman. I am so excited to be spending my morning talking with all of you guys and answering your questions! So, let’s jump in :slight_smile:

23 Likes

Have you read any comics or Hour Man comics before auditioning? Do you collect comic books? Where you into reading comics or watching superhero shows and movies before you auditioned?

5 Likes

Fighting Sportsmaster and being a part of that larger fight with the whole JSA for the first time was so exhilarating. That was the first time that I got to work right next to my stunt double, Ben Aycrigg, under Walter Garcia and Joana Bennett, and that stunt team is so incredible at what they do. It was like being on a sports team and subbing in and out. They would go in and do their thing, and do a big move that would be rigged up like a back flip or whatever, and I would get called in like “Coach put me in!” and I would throw a couple punches. It was a collaborative episode to work on. We were all blown away. I think they managed to execute it even better in real life than what they had rehearsed.

17 Likes

The latest episode with the JSA going on their first mission fighting Sportsmaster and Tigress was insanely good. How much training did you go through to prep for the fight sequence against Sportsmaster?

4 Likes

Hmm… That’s such a good question, and there are so many possibilities- I think I would really work on making the powers unlimited, first off- I think that’s a possibility for Hourman. Then I would low-key become an Olympic athlete for a little while and show everybody up and be like Ash from the Incredibles :laughing:
Then I would do some humanitarian work around the world- I would use it as a platform to build homes, move debris for natural disaster relief, move things that people can’t move. Maybe go into outer space for a while, push some planets around :rofl:

15 Likes

So, this is a fun question, and it comes up sometimes. In our new JSA, I feel like we don’t talk much about Hawkman, and he just seems like a really dope character. I love his costume and the wings, all that stuff. I’m a huge fan of Hawkman in the comics, and if we could have him that would be a great addition.

18 Likes

:rofl: Thanks for your response @CameronGellman, much appreciated!!! :joy:

9 Likes

I don’t think I HAD to, but I did feel it was my responsibility to. I think that training means so many things- there’s acting training, there’s research, there’s physical preparation. Then there’s getting there and realizing everything you planned on doesn’t help you, and starting over from there! So yeah, lots of training. I talked to some different acting friends of mine that I really respect just to get their thoughts. “If Rick was an animal he would be wolf, how does that inform the way he sees the world?” It gets the creative juices flowing.

Then, lots of reading comics. Physical prep, I got there and realized I needed to update my combat skills and trained in a great gym in Atlanta and did jiu-jitsu, Muay Thai, and boxing. When you see me kick that car in episode 6 into Sportsmaster, that was a lot of stretching for your ol’ pal Cameron.

Then I got to work with Ben and Walter and our stunt team, who would prepare us as much as they could to get certain shots. All in all lots of training, and a lot of fun skills.

16 Likes

Two things: First, I love Hourman so much. I feel so honored to play him and be the first live action version of Rick Tyler, on his own, I just want to say I am so beyond happy to have the role I do have and be on the team that I’m on. I love my fellow superheroes and villains and they’ve become like family.

Now, the fun answer!! I would say The Joker would just be- I would have the time of my life. Yeah. If I could play The Joker, I would go deep into that, and never take the makeup up, and just ride the subway all the time as a clown :laughing: The most recent Joker movie was outstanding, and I was blown away by that performance and the origin story of that Joker. Heath Ledger did an amazing job, but this new movie comes along and explains how society creates madness in someone- I think that’s so grounding and humanizing. I love that movie and I would love to do the teenage version of that.

14 Likes

Maybe you could face off with Pattinson Batman

4 Likes

Well thank you so much for your question, I appreciate you being here! Thank you also for the compliment. I’ve had the time of my life portraying Rick, and am so lucky to be able to do that, so I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

I think I was a big fan of his complexity. I don’t believe that anyone is just one thing, ever. I don’t believe that Rick is just angry, I don’t personally think that’s a very interesting narrative. So learning that Geoff was so invested into diving into all of Rick’s layers and where that anger comes from made me so excited to play him. As an actor that gave me work to do, and I wasn’t asked to come in and play one note. And when you get a really meaty role like this it challenges you a lot. Inevitably in the playing of any character you end up learning a lot about yourself as a person and healing something in yourself, like that character. It was an opportunity to look at some of my own loss and hurt in my life, and let them go.

15 Likes

Awesome. You’ve been a great hourman. Joker sounds fun. It definitely was a great movie.

Thanks for answering.

7 Likes

I grew up loving super heroes, and I was a little gymnastics kid for a long time, and I’m someone that is always getting hurt as aid because I like jumping off of things and climbing things, and I was very unconcerned with getting hurt. Always getting stitches, broken fingers. I just loved the idea of being a daredevil. And I got to do that for a job for 6 1/2 months! Some days were about throwing massive punch and kick combinations, other days were about learning how to convincingly fall back into a wall and then fall to the ground- my job description changed so much, but I was always on the edge of my seat about what I was going to get to do when I reported in. There’s nothing cooler than being rigged up and getting launched 10 feet into the air, or whatever. I got to be a superhero!! You know you’re an actor, you know you’re going to work and putting on a suit, and then you’ll take the suit off- but when you get to set, and your suit is on, and you feel the power of having that suit on, which is tailor made to you… When you put that on your mind tells you you are no longer an actor playing that hero. You think you’re an actual hero.

17 Likes

Rick Tyler for sure is a complex character. Episode 5 for sure introduced the character so well. Could we get to see Rick Tyler improving his father’s formula for the serum in the coming episodes?

3 Likes

Hi Cam! @CameronGellman There’s so many things I could congratulate you on (like getting verified and earning such a strong fanbase)! You’re absolutely nailing it as Rick and I get so excited every week watching you all in each new episode. Stargirl is pretty much one of the only things that makes me truly happy nowadays and it’s the highlight of my week watching you guys every Monday. It makes me so happy watching you and the cast fight for justice both on the show and in the real world. I asked you some questions on your lives on Instagram and you answered 3 of them (which makes me feel insanely lucky) but there’s one that I keep forgetting but I’ve been meaning to ask you on your lives: did you have any say at all in what elements from the comics you wanted to see on the Hourman suit?

Also, you’re my absolute favorite character, actor, and superhero now, so go you!!! Love always!

6 Likes

Hello Mr. Agent Matthew! Thank you so much for the compliments about my work so far. I am so glad you think it is great. I honestly just gave it everything that I could, and hoped that it would be enough. So much trust goes into creating anything great, and I also believe that creating really cool things requires teamwork. I am late to this party, because Geoff Johns had this vision of Hourman in his head for a long time, and Hourman has been around even longer. First, you gotta give credit to those people, with such a fascinating origin. And then you give credit to Geoff who worked so hard to get to a place to get Stargirl to where he wanted to. Then give credit to Laura Jean Shannon and the supersuit team. And then it comes to the stunt team who bring the action of Hourman and his superpowers to life. And the writers, and so many people on set who are making the FX happen to make the Hourglass glow and move. And the playground of the set that I and my castmates get to play in!

So many more people…
There’s all of these people who create this one character you’re calling “Great”, and I get to portray him.

The simple answer is, it takes an army to play a superhero, and anything that’s great.

16 Likes

Thankyou so much for answering my questions @CameronGellman! Stargirl cast are the best!:grinning::star2:

9 Likes

First off, thank you for the well wishes regarding my family and I, I’m sending them right back to you :slight_smile:

Nothing could make me happier than hearing our show is providing a little bit of lightness for you right now. The world is in a very challenging, tense place, and I am honored that I am part of the break you can take from that.

There are so many favorite off-screen moments. Ultimately I got to work with the best group of people. That sounds like such a common thing to say, but I really did get so lucky. We have so many goofballs in our cast, and I got to have this college experience to live for almost 7 months in another city with a bunch of other people.

Let’s say on set but offscreen, there was a time where it was so hot on set that we would unzip my suit a little bit- you would be my favorite person on the planet if you would put a fan on my back. I took one of these onset fans and put it on my chest and ended up losing it in my suit! So a bunch of crew and cast mates had to help me find this fan, which ended up in my leg :rofl:

Also, every time I took the boots off, they were so fitted I had to hold on for dear life to a stool while two crew members helped take them off. There were times I ended up on my butt or the shoes flew over their head or something. I wish they were framed somewhere, and it just makes me laugh so hard.

18 Likes

100% the Mustang! I imagine that driving that Mustang for Rick is like being a little kid sitting in his father’s lap. You know, I don’t think that anyone, especially as a kid, would know to appreciate or cherish time with someone because they don’t know that time is limited. and I know Rick works on that car to feel close to his father. So driving that car and feeling that engine and imagining all the conversations Rick has with Rex about life, and our purpose, and about cars, and about being a man- I imagine those times and I think of Rick flying down the freeway on the open road in that car and thinking about his dad- I don’t think anything replaces that.

The Star Rocket Racer sounds so cool, but I would drive that Mustang any day of the week.

14 Likes

Thank you very much @CameronGellman. :superman_hv_4:
Yeah I would have to also pick the mustang as well. Maybe if Pat wasn’t looking I’d also sneak into S.T.R.I.P.E. for a moment. :joy:

7 Likes