Live Q&A w/ Greg Capullo, Comic Artist on Court of Owls, Dark Nights: Metal, & More, Tues 3/24 @1:00pm PST!

I put in as many hours in each day as it takes to make sure the book is handed in on the given deadline. I’ve worked as many as 16 hours a day, without any days off, for very extended periods of time. To unwind, I like to hang out with my wife Jamie, lift weights, sometimes play guitar.

14 Likes

When I was trying to get into the business it was very different. I met a lot of great editors that gave me the benefit of their wisdom and teachings. I would recommend two things, study books on cinematography and as an exercise, draw various shaped panels, whether they be tall, skinny, vertical, long horizontal, perfectly square, and then try and fill it in with an interesting composition.

8 Likes

Step one. Get something to draw with. Step Two. Get something to draw on. Step Three. Start drawing. You can find various books to study on the various aspects of drawing such as perspective, composition, anatomy, etc.

9 Likes

Thanks Mr. Capullo.

3 Likes

There were many inspirations growing up that influenced my work, inspired me, and made me want to do this. I’d have to include Todd McFarlane. I learned different ways of story telling in my time with him. That freed me up to explore and keep exploring to this day.

11 Likes

I wasn’t saying that particular bands influenced the way that I draw. What I was meaning is that metal is an attitude. It’s my attitude towards life. In that way, having metal in my veins influences what comes out of me when I draw.

10 Likes

No. It was more the appeal of the drawings that I was looking at. The colors. The action. The muscles. All of it, just drew me in. It made me excited. It made me want to draw comics. Comics are awesome.

10 Likes

Couldn’t agree more

7 Likes

My first bit of advice would be not to aspire to be a comic book artist. I’ll tell you why. You like to draw, I assume. You’d like to get paid for drawing, I would also assume. Now, let’s pretend there are no more comics. I would assume, you still like to draw and it would be pretty cool to get paid to do so. This is why you should aspire to be a good illustrator, a good draftsperson. Doing that will open up more doors for you should you need to go through them.

11 Likes

Hello Mr. Capullo I am looking forward to death metal is there any details on the batmans that will appear and which one was your favorite to draw?

4 Likes

The ones that I’m in the process of still creating. Things are going to be WILD!

9 Likes

I can’t wait to see these WildB.A.T.s!

6 Likes

As soon as Scott mentioned to me Batman with battle axes and Joker dragons, I was sold.

9 Likes

Probably all of them. As we go forward in life and change and grow as an artist, we visualize things sometimes a little differently. Whether that would be better or worse, is anybody’s guess. But, I don’t think any artist looks back at their past work and doesn’t wish they had done something a bit differently.

11 Likes

I had a lot of fun doing Death of the Family. Reading that script gave me chills plenty of times. But, as much fun as I’ve had drawing Batman, I feel I’ve done enough with that character, I feel that I’ve done enough with that character and it’s time to move on.

11 Likes

Like a kid in a candy shop who has a huge sweet tooth, my answer is almost all of them. Sadly, I’m only one Greg.

9 Likes

DC has plenty of characters that deserve the Capullo treatment :grin:

5 Likes

Do you really want me to tell you what your Birthday present is already?

12 Likes

Depends®

16 Likes

I’m under contractual obligation to reply “Scott Snyder”.

12 Likes