Live Q&A w/ David Marquez, Artist on BATMAN/SUPERMAN, INFINITE FRONTIER #0, & JUSTICE LEAGUE, Tues 3/9 @11am PT/2pm ET!

For Brian and me it’s a team effort. Every book and every collaboration is different, but in this case Brian, the editors and I all had weeks of discussions before I ever started drawing trying to figure out what our take on the JL would be, what the lineup was, and what we wanted to say through these stories. A lot of this was really focused on theme - what we wanted out message to be. From there Brian handles the plot and the dialogue and I bring it to life on the page along with our colorist Tamra Bonvillain and letterer Josh Reed. And along the way we all bounce off each other and influence the decisions the other makes. There are times when Brian’s script makes me want to change my entire approach for how I draw a character, or Brian will remove whole pages worth of dialogue to let my drawings breathe without any words being said. It’s a back and forth.

8 Likes

Great answer. Ty for responding.

7 Likes

Hawkgirl. It’s the wings :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Fiona Apple’s latest album, Fetch the Bolt Cutters, shows she’s still got it.

7 Likes

It’s probably a toss up between Black Canary, Black Adam, Naomi, Superman and Batman. The designs are just a ton of fun to draw and I love the way they act when I draw. Oh! I’m also having a blast drawing Hippolyta who shows up a bit later in the story. I got to redesign her costume and just love the way it’s come out.

7 Likes

I’ll throw a question out to y’all while I keep working on my answers:

Who would y’all like to see show up in the Justice League? Not just heroes - villains, supporting characters, etc.

What about locations?

10 Likes

Collapser (I know he’s not in the league but it would be awesome seeing him working alongside them). Also, inside Collapser’s black hole could be an unbelievable setting.

7 Likes

Huntress (Bertinelli) she’s put her work in. Batman let’s Damian & Red Hood get away with crossing the line, but not her. Unfair lol

8 Likes

Thanks for being with us today!!

Etrigan.

8 Likes

Oh the list is massive and always changing. The biggest influences early on were Jim Lee (who’s now my boss, lol) and Travis Charest. But since then It’s gone as far afield as Manga artists like Otomo and Masamune Shirow and Hiroaki Samura to Disney films. And I’m really impressed by folks like Clay Mann, Olivier Coipel, Dan Mora, Sara Pichelli and a ton of other artists putting out stellar work right now

Ha that’s a tough one. I mean the first thing one has to consider is that ideals change over time. What was ideal to Da Vinci reflects an entirely different context compared to Adams, or any artist today. Add to that the fact that we are all influenced by and building on the work of those who came before us. Adams was influenced by Da Vinci (whether intentionally or not).

But I’ll give it to Adams - his ideal is closer to mine :slight_smile:

11 Likes

HOW THE TABLES HAVE TURNED!
This might be the first time a guest has asked us something back :thinking:

I would love to see Mogo’s full potential, and the epic nature of the diverse powers of the JLA could have some interesting interplay.

9 Likes

Apache Chief

8 Likes

Ooo a reversal

Hmm​:thinking: hero wise I’m not sure the roster seems to have a lot of nice characters.

Villains
Deathstroke sounds interesting. Even though in my opinion he’s not really a villain so maybe as a hero​:thinking:

Others maybe Atrocitus or Doomsday

As for locations maybe something ocean related Atlantis or some tropical shore or frozen waters too

8 Likes

Nice deep cut. I got so excited whenever he’d appear on Super Friends it was a great day.

6 Likes

hey, whatever floats your boat :slight_smile: I can get down with a hawaiian pizza.

But generally I’m a carnivore. Ever since I was a kid my favorite is new york style with pepperoni, sausage, and canadian bacon.

dang, now I’m hungry.

12 Likes

i just ate pizza lol

7 Likes

the irony

7 Likes

Welcome to the community. Certain corners of our little fandom often fallback onto conversations about food. :drooling_face:

8 Likes

First off, thanks for the kind words, Moro!

I’m not sure if this was the singularly most difficult page, but the first reveal of the Batman who Laugh’s hideout was a challenge. Like your question hints at, I really enjoy characters and acting and that’s where I feel most natural as an artist. I can definitely draw environments and vehicles and the like but especially intricate and specific locations take a lot of focus and hard work.

9 Likes

and biscuits

7 Likes