Live Q&A w/ David Marquez, Artist on BATMAN/SUPERMAN, INFINITE FRONTIER #0, & JUSTICE LEAGUE, Tues 3/9 @11am PT/2pm ET!

Hello Mr. Marquez!
Welcome to the community! My Q is this: what did you draw on your notebooks during math class when you were a kid? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Did you ever create your own comic character? If so, what was their name and backstory/powers?
Thank you so much for joining us today! It’s awesome to have you here. :purple_heart: Take care.

7 Likes

Jk I’m back! Hi! :wave: One more: I have a bit of thing for variant covers and was wondering if you have a favorite you’ve done or a character you’d like to work on for fun? Thank you, again.:purple_heart:

7 Likes

Hey everyone! Thanks for joining me for this chat, looking forward to talking to y’all!

8 Likes

Hey David nice to have u ty for joining us!!!

7 Likes

7drHiqr

8 Likes

Certainly it’s a challenge but for a book like Justice League the contrast between characters is what makes the story engaging. The way they interact both narratively and visually is the fun part. And these differences let you play with stories of all different tones and themes - there isn’t a “right” or “wrong” tone necessarily - but when you throw characters into an unfamiliar or uncomfortable context they way they respond is what creates the drama and interest - again, both narratively and visually.

8 Likes

I mean, the costume itself does all the hard work for me :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Careful what you wish for, haha

8 Likes

you hear that @HubCityQuestion ? You’re a superhero now!

6 Likes

Thanks so much. It may sound like a cop out but honestly it all comes down to hard work, study, and practice. But one simple thing to consider is that in comics we always want our characters to be dynamic - exciting poses and actions go a long way!

8 Likes

I’m honestly mostly a podcast and audiobook guy. Right now I’m working my way through all the Harry Bosch audiobooks, but generally I mostly “read” (listen to) scifi and fantasy. But when I’m doing layouts listening to a story becomes too distracting (layouts require the most concentration, it’s where the real analytical work happens as I have to plan everything out) I will sometimes listen to music. I have pretty eclectic taste, but I’ll bounce around between rock, metal (currently really into instrumental prog rock band Polyphia), some punk, but also I’m hugely into contemporary acoustic folk. And I like to mix in some electronica and old school outlaw country for good measure. Like I said, eclectic :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Sweet. I’m late but didn’t miss it. Mr. Marquez, thank you so much for spending your time with us here today. I’ve been really enjoying the current run of Batman/Superman. The Humanoid and Atomic Skull issues were amazingly beautiful. I also really liked Infinite Frontier #0; simply gorgeous.

Going forward with the Justice League, is their a character (hero or villain) you are particularly anxious to get the chance to bring to life?

6 Likes

I really like drawing Black Adam and that was a bit of a surprise. He wasn’t a character I’ve spent much time with (although I was familiar with him for sure), but he’s grown to be one of my favorite DC characters. He’s a complicated character - I mean obviously he’s mostly been used as a villain but over the past 10 years or so he’s really been fleshed out. The best villains never really see themselves as villains, and understanding their motivations can lead to really interesting decisions and storytelling opportunities. On the art side, it’s a challenge to make him intimidating, arrogant but also relatable and sympathetic. And of course look cool :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Do y’all have any recommendations for stuff I should check out? Books/podcasts/music?

10 Likes

Hi, David!
Super silly question, but I love comic book pets (I dress my pug up as Lockjaw for FCBD every year) and was wondering what’s your favorite super animal to draw?

8 Likes

The Grateful Dead

7 Likes

Well first of all getting to cut my teeth at DC by drawing Superman Batman was awesome. They’re the 2 biggest characters in the entire line and I couldn’t have asked for a better introduction. That said the Justice League really is the premier title where any artist gets be amazing opportunity draw characters from all corners of the DCU, and we’ve put together a pretty large cast. I’m no stranger to team books or books with a large lineup but it’s always a challenge (in a good way) to make sure you draw each character well and interestingly, while still being true to their long history. It’s a lot to juggle but I love it.

7 Likes

Thanks for answering :+1: and the tips.

6 Likes

Music recommendation: Springsteen’s last two albums: Western Stars and Letter to You.

7 Likes

I’m eclectic with music as well all over the board. I’d suggest to dabble in every genre. You never know what might catch your ear, even if you’ve heard it 20X’s b4. Sometimes it’s listen #21 that makes u realize u love it.

6 Likes