Live Q&A w/ David Marquez, Artist on BATMAN/SUPERMAN, INFINITE FRONTIER #0, & JUSTICE LEAGUE, Tues 3/9 @11am PT/2pm ET!

Starting 2021-03-09T19:00:00Z we’ll be hosting a LIVE Q&A with David Marquez, Eisner-nominated comic artist on work like Marvel’s NY Times Bestselling Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man, and DC titles including Batman/Superman (2019), Infinite Frontier (2021) #0 (out now!), and the upcoming Justice League (2021) #59 alongside Brian Michael Bendis, releasing March 16th.

David Marquez represents a generation of talent breaking ground across the industry, and we couldn’t be more excited to welcome him!

What inspirations does he draw from? What is his dream project? Add your questions in the comments below, and come back 2021-03-09T19:00:00Z to read Marquez’s answers LIVE!

13 Likes

Hi David! The visual styles of Batman, Superman, and the rest of the Justice League each connote widely different themes and tones. How do you keep a team like the League- or even just the World’s Finest- looking coherent on the same page, while also maintaining each member’s personal identity?

14 Likes

Can you draw @HubCityQuestion like he really IS the Question?

11 Likes

I’m sure he can, but I’d just take a picture of The Question hosting a 70s style quiz show.

11 Likes

Hello and welcome.:wave:

You art amazing.

Any tips on drawing characters in general?

12 Likes

Thanks for joining us on DCUI!

When you are drawing do you listen to music? If you do, what kind of music/favorite albums/bands, and does the music influence your drawing at all?

10 Likes

Welcome, David! Which character has surprised you the most so far in your work on Justice League?

10 Likes

Thank you so much for joining us.
I’m a huge fan of all of your work, but I can’t wait to read your take on the Secret Six (II). As a huge fan of the Secret Six & Batman/Superman. I just wondered if it was a natural (or easier) title for u to take on- due to your work on Batman/Superman, & the fact that they are probably the top 2 enemies of the Secret Six (II)? Did that seem like an advantage or disadvantage to you?
Ty again for joining us!!!

7 Likes

Would you say that the authors or the illustrators create the story/storyline? Explain please.

8 Likes

Which character was the hardest for you to draw? Why?

8 Likes

Which character was your favorite to draw? Why?

7 Likes

Hello, welcome and thanks for taking the time to do this.

What artists (any style or genre) have you been the most influenced by?

Also, who drew idealized human anatomy better, Da Vinci or Neal Adams?
(Personally, I’m of the opinion that it’s Adams. His muscular definition is more precise.)

Thanks again and stay safe.

10 Likes

I bow to this wisdom

7 Likes

What are your thoughts on pizza with Pineapple???
:pineapple::pineapple::pineapple:

6 Likes

Hey David. Fan of your work here. I think my first introduction to it was on Batman/Superman. Streamlined is the word that comes to mind the most. There’s a certain flow to it that makes it seamless transitioning from panel to panel, or page to page, yet you don’t skimp on detail or facial expressions. I also like how you portrayed the agility of the World’s Finest while still maintaining their big muscular builds. Great work! What was the most difficult panel/page for you to draw in that series, and which one did you enjoy drawing the most?

8 Likes

Welcome the DCU Community David!

Since you and Brian Michael Bendis are close friends and you both live in Portland when you two collaborate on a comics project do you ever go over the script and art in person or is it always through phone/messages?

8 Likes

Thank you David for taking time out to answer a few of our questions. It is truly appreciated!

I have one quick question for you. What is one character outside of Batman and Superman that you have enjoyed drawing and bringing your interpretation to?

8 Likes

What challenges, if any, did you face when tasked with having to redesign Black Canary’s costume? What elements do you love about Black Canary and is it possible for you to show us any costume sketches of Dinah you might have?

Black Canary fans are really excited to see her back in an iconic and recognizable costume! We can’t wait to see what you and Bendis do with the character :slight_smile:

8 Likes

David, looking forward to the Q & A this afternoon. Picked up Infinite Frontier #0 and I’m very interested in where we go from here.

7 Likes

Hello Mr. Marquez, thank you so much for joining us today! What is the alternate reality David doing right now? If they’re not a comic artist, what other path might they have taken?

Can’t wait for Justice League!

10 Likes