Live Q&A w/ Dan Jurgens, Writer & Artist of DEATH OF SUPERMAN & Creator of Booster Gold, Wed 3/25 @1pm PT/4pm ET!

I’m sorry… but I’m not sure I understand the question!

5 Likes

Drawing a single comic takes more “active” time. One issue means many days of work at the board.

Writing a single comic doesn’t take as much “active” time–time actually spent typing–but there’s a lot more that goes into it than that. Mapping out a year’s worth of stories and putting it all in place is time consuming. I’ve spent a lot of time on ideas that I end up discarding weeks later, once I realize they no longer work.

15 Likes

We’re still working to define that. Obviously, the world has changed a great deal in the last couple of weeks and we’re all dealing with some very difficult realities as part of those changes.

10 Likes

Hi Dan Jurgens,

As the creator of Jon Kent, what were your initial thoughts we he would be co starring in the Super Sons with Damain Wayne?

Also what hint can u give us to will more is coming in the Ric Grayson storyline?

3 Likes

Wow–well, I think you have an amazing opportunity to catch up on some stuff! The first thing I might suggest is a “Death of Superman” Omnibus edition that covers Superman’s Death, the “Funeral for a Friend” storyline and “Reign of the Supermen”, which featured his return. I might also suggest John Byrne’s “Man of Steel” book that redefined the character, some other collections like “Panic in the Sky” and “Exile” and then “Superman: Lois and Clark”, which introduced Jon Kent.

12 Likes

Great question! Fortunately, I’ve been able to write most of the DCU.

For now, I’d probably say Justice League as I never did get to do the entire league–just a portion of them.

Also a couple of other sneaky things I can’t yet mention because we’re actively discussing them!

15 Likes

Thank you for your response, Dan! I think that would make for a great story, especially if it involves Clark finding his faith again. Could be very inspirational. I think you need to pitch this to DC :slightly_smiling_face:.

6 Likes

Oh, man! There are so many! Plus, I’ve been fortunate to work with a number of incredibly talented people.

In part, it’d depend on the project and character.

10 Likes

Thanks so much for responding! Great profile pic by the way!

3 Likes

Aw, c’mon - you can tell us!

4 Likes

I agree that is a good idea. Kind of like Superman speeding bullets but without the Batman part and more deconstructive, I would definitly check that out.

1 Like

I can’t help but be proud of the “Death of Superman” and creation of Booster Gold, as well as a number of other things.

But I think that, after spending more than a few years in the business, I’m rather proud of the overall role I’ve played. I appreciate that I’ve been able to contribute as much as I have to Superman’s legacy, as well as the DCU as a whole.

11 Likes

Another great question!

No two stories seem to come together the same way. Sometimes it’s the result of inspiration or a crazy idea that seems to come together in a great way. Other times it’s like wandering through a forest in the dark. You can’t find the answers until you somehow stumble out of the forest.

But the thing I advise most is to know your character. Make a list of his/her traits. Does he like pizza? Hate vegetables? Get irritated easily? Feel uncomfortable around taller people? Write all of that down, stay true to it and that’s your road map.

11 Likes

I think Clark and Lois make for a better, more tangible couple.

15 Likes

Amen.

1 Like

I think comic book artists should be STORYTELLERS. Whatever style is most appropriate for the story and character is the one that should be used.

As for drawing, I prefer to work from plots and that’s also what I like to give artists. It’s a visual medium and anything that allows the artist a bit more freedom tends to be a good thing.

12 Likes

I suppose I do to a certain degree, but Booster and Batman Beyond really don’t have much to do with each other. They just happen to be from the future.

Kind of like writing stories where one character is from France and the other from Germany. (Weird stretch, I know.)

10 Likes

No argument from me.

2 Likes

Totally original, not based on any one person, in particular.

Really taken from the times, which was mid-80s.

13 Likes

Again, that gets back to know your character.

The best villains have some kind of connection to the main character that goes beyond what we see on the surface. So, if you really know your character… who he is and why he does things the way he does, what’s important to him, etc., you build your villain off that.

9 Likes