Live Q&A w/ Dan Jurgens, Writer & Artist of DEATH OF SUPERMAN & Creator of Booster Gold, Wed 3/25 @1pm PT/4pm ET!

Mr. Jurgens.
With your creation of Booster Gold & work on Batman Beyond. Do u gravitate towards time travel/future settings?

3 Likes

Mr. Jurgens.
Was Booster Gold based on anyone in the business or real life? Or just an original creation?

3 Likes

How do you go about creating a good villain/threat for your characters?

2 Likes

What was one tip or trick you wish you had known before Drawing comic books? Any key advice for the future gen of artist?

2 Likes

Dan, your time working on Superman coincided almost exactly with the beginning of my time reading his comics. It’s not a coincidence, I think, that he’s my favorite character to this day.

These days, though, working on Nightwing and Batman Beyond, I want to ask what’s the difference in your approach when working in the Bat-family as opposed to the Superman books you’re best known for?

2 Likes

Hey, Dan! What can you tell us about your upcoming Generations one-shot? Can we expect an appearance from a certain Gothamite quarterback?

2 Likes

Hi Dan,
If you could resurrect or give new life to a character that hasn’t been given a lot of love over the years, who would you choose?

2 Likes

As of today Batman V Superman:Dawn of Justice Turns 4 years old. 1st off how did you feel about the film assuming youve seen and how did you feel about Supermans death? Also what is your stance on the possibility of the so called Snyder Cut of Justice League possibly getting some reshoots and being released on HboMax?

2 Likes

Hello Dan Jurgens,

When writing, do you initially focus on characters or the conflict they encounter?

Essentially, do you make a conflict revolve around where a character should progress or does the progression come from the conflict that you’ve established?

2 Likes

It’s been fun to see Booster’s evolution through the years. First, as a member of the JL and even in more recent months when he was a part of Tom King’s HEROES IN CRISIS. Writers seems o like working with Booster because he’s unique and fun to write.

12 Likes

Hi Dan, I really enjoyed you and Brett Breeding artwork.

2 Likes

Hi, Dan.

Besides yourself, who is your favorite Superman writer of all time? Favorite Superman artist?

2 Likes

Hi Dan Jurgens, what is your most cherished comic related possession ?

3 Likes

Hello Mr. Jurgens hope you’re doing well, loving your Batman beyond run!! My question to you is do you have anymore plans for the joker to return after what happened in issue #30?

1 Like

At the time, we wanted to reinforce Superman’s character and history. For example, at that point, he hadn’t been married to Lois Lane. At the same time, we wanted to introduce Jon so we could take the entire family in an interesting new direction.

12 Likes

I think there are certain traits that Superman has that endure, regardless of the years. So I wanted to establish much of that as the cornerstone of the character. At the same time, I didn’t want to repeat what I had done earlier. I wanted the character and his stories to evolve. The version I wrote in the '10s was a little older and a little more reserved. More thoughtful and given to reason, in part as an example to Jon.

16 Likes

That’s a great question! I think it would have to be about a loss of faith. By that, I don’t mean religious faith so much. More about the faith that Superman might have in himself, Lois, others around him…like Batman or even faith in government. Does Superman ever lose faith? If that were to happen, what could possibly cause it?

17 Likes

I had quite a bit of say in the story I did with Zod.

He’s one of those villains that is important not to overuse. It’s easy to do because he has a level of power that makes for a good fight.

As for Jon, I’m sure there an almost infinite number of stories to be told, some of which could be previous tales from his younger years.

11 Likes

We killed Superman because we thought it would make for a great story–which it did.

One of the things we see in society all the time is that the importance of someone’s life is not truly examined and dealt with until they’re gone. That’s what we wanted to do with Superman. We could say more about him through his death than we could when he was alive.

14 Likes

Is the greatest hero that no one has ever heard of truly famous?

Seriously though–it’s been a lot of fun to see how Booster has continued to find a place even after 35 years.

11 Likes