LIVE Q&A: Scott Snyder writer of BATMAN and SWAMP THING! Friday, April 3rd @11am PT/2pm ET

Welcome to the community @bpcasey13.17284!

1 Like

Absolutely. The fear is really expressed through Lex -and it’s a fear that has run through a lot of my work the past few years. It’s the fear that maybe by nature we are more selfish than giving, that progress is a fallacy, that our true character is predatory - that our villains are our idealized selves rather than our heroes. Lex says, we need to embrace our true nature, and admit we’re selfish and self-interested, we’re predators, and if so we can evolve and rise higher.

5 Likes

THX!!! its awsome to be here! I’m a big fan of dc!

1 Like

i imagine that like many of the great runs, the architect puts so much of a personal touch to it, with the writing informed greatly by their personal experiences. How is it like to have had a run on batman or justice league that has so much you in it, and then pass it along to somebody else who is completely different?

Welcome to the community @redsoxcelticspatriots.80619!

1 Like

I did! I was a janitor at the Magic Kingdom, then a roller skating janitor and finally a character (Buzz Lightyear, Eyeore and Pluto). It was right after college when I felt like to be a writer I needed to go out and see the country. I loved it but it was crazy hard work. I have many stories though. Never be Rafiki - hottest costume. I passed out as him! Came to and folks were still trying to hand me their kids to hold up like the cub.

16 Likes

Hey Scott! I’m a big fan of your work, and you and Capullo are the dream team! I was just wondering how do you view Joker and Batman’s relationship when writing them? Do they need each other to exist?

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @alovelyjester!

3 Likes

Awesome
Thanks for answering

Hey! Thanks a lot. Doomsday Clock DOES play a big part in Death Metal. Nothing we do will change the (amazing) events of that book, but the effects of Manhattan’s actions reverberate throughout the start of the story. Th goal with Death Metal is to say - look, DC has had all these great stories from long ago to just this year, but (if we’re being honest) we’ve become too disconnected in out continuity. Black Label, other imprints, it’s great to have standalone stories. But in mainline DC, it’s become hard to tell what our history is, what connects. The post it on my computer for Death Metal is “everything matters” and our goal is reward you guys for your years of dedication and passion for these characters and stories by honoring as much as we can of the past, while blasting forward in the most fun way possible

10 Likes

Thanks for the advice and answer.

2 Likes

I think OUR version of Joker does need Batman to exist as they’re two sides of the same coin. Our Batman is the answer to the existential question, is there meaning to anything we do. Joker exists to prove the opposite answer.

7 Likes

(But that doesn’t mean every version of Joker needs Batman)

7 Likes

That’s a great question - the hope is that they take it and do something so good and their own that it’s not really comparable. As a writer that’s the hope but even more so as a fan. I don’t really think Grant’s run is comparable with mine or anyone else’s b/c it’s so much his own. That’s what I always hope for when anyone takes a character I love. Jason on Thor, now Donny on Thor. Dan on Spidey, now Nick on Spidey - the hope is that the takes are so unique to the creator that you can love both individually

7 Likes

How long does it usually take for one of your scripts take from completion to final product?

I’d love to do it again - I’d teach it anytime. It was more a matter of DC looking to find places fr the people who’d already been through it before running it again

7 Likes

Mr. @ScottSnyder I’m a young writer and I’m nervous that people won’t like my stories.
Any advice for young writers?
Thanks for answering our questions.

2 Likes

I feel the same way and I really need advice cause i got major writers block!!!

1. How did you get to start writing as a profession?

2. Who is a character you’d want to write that you haven’t had the opportunity to?

My advice for writers block is to just write down whatever until you get something that you like.
Sorry for taking over your thread Mr. @ScottSnyder