LIVE Q&A: Scott Snyder writer of BATMAN and SWAMP THING! Friday, April 3rd @11am PT/2pm ET

It’s hard because they’re all like my children :slight_smile: But my secret favorites are probably Zero Year and Last Knight, as they zero in most on what I think makes Batman so special. The paradox at the heart of the character - the fact that what makes Batman so special is that he’s human, mortal, he’s an example of what we can strive toward by overcoming our own challenges, and yet it’s that humanity - that mortality - that also dooms him to never achieving what he hopes to. The trick to him though, are those beautiful and sad moments he realizes that if he does this right while he’s able, Batman will become immortal through his lesson, his legacy, and his example. Those are the moments when Bruce comes closest to happiness in my opinion.

7 Likes

Hi, so like what’s your favorite/ favorites dc cmoics and also what comics have you written? (I don’t reall yh ave any dc comics but I’m gonna them on here when I get the chance)

Thanks so much, and yes, it really does help. It’s the ay in to every story for me - that’s my process really. I start with something that’s keeping me up at night - whatever story or image or anecdote caught my attention that I can’t stop thinking about - and I try to unpack what’s making it stick in my mind. If it’s something positive, I try to discern what the fear being assuaged is. If it’s something scary by nature, I try to figure out what the core of it is. For example, Court started when I returned to NYC for a meeting and realized that nothing about the neighborhood I’d grown up in was still there. The city had completely changed. It wasn’t scary so much as unsettling, but the fear I realized that was beneath that had to do with my own smallness, the ephemeral nature of our experience; your neighborhood only exists for a brief moment as a collective experience, then poof, it’s gone, and now it only exists for you and the people you grew up with… But Bruce, he derives so much of his confidence from knowing his city better than anyone… so what if Gotham taught him this lesson - that there are things about it (the city every moment before and after his experience of it) that will always be a mystery to him. What if Gotham was the antagonist in this way… And so on. For me, approaching story like this ensures that I’m writing about something that matters to me, gives me a north star so I don’t get lost in just what could be cool or fun or shocking to see.

10 Likes

Thank you so much. Getting to add to Abby’s story was a career highlight for me.

6 Likes

Swamp Thing is really one of my favorite all time characters after getting to read your New 52 run with him. Have you ever thought about doing another series with him? Even if it was 3-6 issues?

3 Likes

Haha. Yes! The JL cut for me would include Hell Arisen and what we’re just about to do via Death Metal - it’s all one big saga that started with Metal, ran through No Justice, then the New Justice line, then Batman Superman, and now HA and Death Metal… (And we are going to tie into JL during DM to conclude some of the crucial threads about Hawgirl, J’onn, Jarro and others - shhh).

5 Likes

That’s so cool! its like me and when i have so many sory idead its so hard on what to do and what to write!!!

2 Likes

What inspires you to come up with ideas for your stories? What do you use for inspiration and how do you use those ideas to come up with those stories

Generations is more of a recounting of DC History right now, rather than being a big catalyst for things. The reconnecting of continuity - making it all one big story - is our job via Death Metal and we’re honored and humbled and excited and terrified to be doing it

8 Likes

Welcome to the community @jellis025.72173!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @TheExpert!

1 Like

Oh, okay! Thanks for the answer and welcome to the party :metal:t6:

2 Likes

I wasn’t afraid, the opposite in fact. Swamp Thing is one of the FEW characters who demands to be reinvented by every creator because of how radically individuated and visionary every take has been (Wein and Moore, but Bissette, Vaughn, Millar, Dysart). So it was about trying something that brought him back to basics, made him human, re-introduced the whole mythology from the ground up (no pun intended).

9 Likes

So scott this is @hd102906.44794, and like what inspired you to write comics? Because one of my dreams is to an author! and I’m actually writting a book right now called the agent and the assassain!

Thank you so much. Well, American Vampire is like my home base. It’s where I put everything I love to write about. Out of everything I write it’s sort of the most me. And it was my first indie! So maybe start there - AND we’re bringing it back this fall, so stay tuned!

As for advice, honestly, it’s not being afraid to write the story that would be your favorite to find on a shelf today. That was the writing advice my first great teacher gave me and I use it in my class whenever I teach. It can be funny, political, genre, anything but it has to be the one that you’d most like to discover right now

9 Likes

Hey, Scott! Big fan! How do you come up with new villains/groups, such as the Court of Owls?

I mean, there’s no topping Stephen King, man. There was no getting over it. He was a blast, too - he was funny as hell, always messing with us on American Vampire by writing a script and then having Skinner or Pearl turn into a bat or mist or something at the end and I’d get all nervous about having to tell Stephen King our vampires didn’t work that way, and so I’d build up my courage, get him on the phone and he’d be like, “Scott, I was just ■■■■■■’ with ya.”

11 Likes

Welcome to the community @hd102906.44794!

We thought about that! FULL DISCLOSURE: It was a slip up on my part that I didn’t let Jock know in time. So yes, BMWL DID use dionesium :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Thx so much! you give like the best advice!

1 Like