Live Action Zatanna Film?

That stinks! :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Something I was looking forward to gets cancelled again. :unamused:

2 Likes

Rule number one of following adaptions- just because something is announced doesn’t mean it will actually ever happen.

3 Likes

It’s disappointing because many fans were looking forward to this, including myself. Without starting another rant or spiel about how much I disagree with the current decisions at HBO Max about slashing their content, I did notice a silver lining:

The report mentions that both projects [Constantine and Zatanna] are now being shopped to other streamers, although it’s currently unknown whether or not they will land anywhere.

I hope they land somewhere. I would like to continue enjoying DC media.

2 Likes

More often than not this seems to happen with female-led projects :thinking:

2 Likes

I believe it. This brings to mind that “merging strategy” image that was floating around a while ago about what each entity brings to the table:
warner-bros-discovery-strategy-2022-652x342

And remembering how put off I was while looking at it. Like I’m somehow not allowed to enjoy HBO Max because they’re trying to provide for its male fanbase? You have to bring in Discovery+ to appease the female watchers? I don’t have an understanding of this.

2 Likes

Okay, maybe it’s because I am part of comics, sci-fi-, fantasy, and horror fandom, but I know more women who watch the DC shows than the ones who watch reality shows. I only have one friend who is a huge fan of reality TV, although I will admit she is female. For that reason this graphic always struck me as a bit odd.

2 Likes

I am going to look into this with DC and Marvel. I am going to have to make some judgement calls on where production was really started or if was just an idea brought up on a commentary or something.

In the mid '80s Marvel ditched a Dazzler film. I normally hear she is one of the more disliked X-Men, so this is not a big deal to me.

After this is a ditched Spider-Man project.

In 1989 they were making an X-Men film. It seems it would have starred Wolverine and Storm, so I will count this as half.

Universal had their failed Iron Man project.

MGM had cancelled Spider-Man

She Hulk

Deathlock

Dr. Strange

Iron Fist

Shang Chi

Nick Fury

Gullimero Del Toro’s Dr. Strange

Gambit

X-23

Multiple Man

Bendis’s Kitty Pryde

Beast

X-Force

Black Widow

Punisher 2

Punisher 2

Spider-Man 4

Amazing Spider-Man 3

Luke Cage

Grace’s Venom

Black Cat

Silver and Black

Goyer’s Venom

Howard the Duck TAS

Namor

Hulk 2

Hulk 2

Drax and Mantis (counts for half).

That was way more frustrating that I thought.

so 25 for men and 8 for women.

Now for DC.

Mike Henry’s Batman

Batman vs. Godzilla

I am not counting Batman 3. That was reworked into Batman Forever, not cancelled

Batman Triumphant or whatever you want to call it (Shumaker’s 3rd film).

Batman Year One (abandoned for Catwoman. No wonder they keep cancelling female lead superhero films).

Batman vs. Superman (cancelled for Catwoman).

George Miller’s Justice League (looks to be about Batman and Talia so I count it for half).

Bruce Wayne

The Batman vs. Hush

Catwoman TAS

Burton’s Catwoman

Catwoman DTV film

Superman III: Supergirl (based on the concept it is best this was canned).

Superman Lives (this counts as 3).

Superman Returns Returns

Superman red Son

Adventures of Superboy

Adventures of Superpup

Metropolis (this counts due to sounding like a Lois series)

Who’s Afraid of Diana Prince

Wonder Woman Series (creators of Lois and Clark series)

Reitman’s Wonder Woman

Whedon’s Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman 2 (DTV)

NBC’s Wonder Woman

Amazon (CW)

Justice League of America (half)

Justice League of America (counts)

Bruce’s Timm first Justice League series.

TNT’s Teen Titans Series (half)

Flash film (this counts for 2. One was going to star Ryan Renolds as Wally and be written by Goyer. I want to see that).

Smallville like Flash show.

Plastic Man (counts as 2).

Female Plastic Man Film (?, as I do not know if this is really canned).

Plastic Man TAS

Justin Hartley’s Aquaman

Aquaman DTV

Leonardo DiCaprio’s Aquaman

John Stewart film (arguably Hal Jordan too, but it looks more like them asking guys if they want to write it or Flash so I am not counting it).

First Flight 2

1990 Green Arrow Series

Goyer’s Green Arrow

Del Toro’s Deadman

TNT Deadman

CW Deadman (Supernatural creators)

Ronin miniseries

Jaden Smith’s Static Shock

Syfy’s Lobo.

Syfy’s Booster Gold

Earlier Zatanna film

Blue Beetle tv series

CW’s Hourman

Starman

Sgt. Rock

CW’s Traci Thirteen

Shazam

Lionsgate’ Monolith (half)

Cyborg series

Batgirl

Cyborg (I think this was just a publicity stunt but they announced it).

Deathstroke (might still happen)

Harley Quinn vs Joker (I am counting this a Harley Quinn film).

Justice League Part 2 (counting this as male film).

Goyer’s Krypton (no idea who characters are)

Madame Xanadu

New Gods (no idea who main characters are)

Black Manta

Supergirl (?)

Wonder Twins (half)

So 48 male films to 22 Female films. Considering they make way more male lead superhero works you look right, and there is a big trend of them cancelling them in the recent years (of course I remember finding a page where everybody agreed Stargirl was canned so who know which of these were just presumed canned).

My bigger takeaways is that apparently they love testing ideas on Goyer’s scripts and that Deadman, Plastic Man, Flash, and Wonder Woman are clearly cursed.

4 Likes

This is really great research but yes I was mainly thinking in terms of recent years. But maybe that’s just my perception because I was really looking forward to Batgirl and Zatanna.

4 Likes
5 Likes

James Gunn better be thinking about how to bring in Zatanna!

5 Likes

No he does not. It is a large job, and if she does not fit the early stages then there is no reason to force her in.

4 Likes

That is sad. I really wish the Zatanna movie had moved forward. She has been one of my favorite DC characters since childhood.

4 Likes

Ugh. Love Zee, so I am disappoint.

2 Likes

It is disappointing. I was so looking forward to this. Along with Barbara Gordon, Zatanna has always been my favorite DC superheroine.

1 Like