LGBT DC Fans

So much yes to this. I recently caught up with everything in Batwoman so far and it made me cry several times. As a gay person it is so relatable. We have all been through many, if not all of the things that Kate/Batwoman has been through. Recently I’ve been doing a lot of job interviews since I’m almost done with grad school, and I avoid the word husband and just use the gender-neutral “spouse” for fear that I won’t get the job for being gay. It is so good to see this kind of LGBT representation on TV and not feel alone.

9 Likes

@AgentGabs to be honest I’m asking the same question, the only difference being that I’m talking about my relationships.

5 Likes

I know I’m WAY late on this, but yes. Alex’s coming out story is probably the best I’ve seen the topic handled in pop culture, maybe EVER. Legit tears here too.

Ps. Jessica Cruz :raised_hands:t3: Is that show actually happening?

10 Likes

There is a Green Lantern show Berlanti’s working on for HBO Max, so she better be in that!

8 Likes

Awesome! I thought it was still just rumor winding it’s way thru the vast, weird, dank abyss of the ‘interwebs’.
Ps. We better see Jess there. :facepunch:t3:

8 Likes

So here I am reading (well, listening to the audiobook on Hoopla) this awesome YA (or even younger?) novel called “George” by Alex Gino. It’s amazing and sweet and it’s made me cry a bunch, it’s about this fourth-grade trans girl and her inner turmoil around everyone seeing her as a boy. It’s such a beautiful read, I’m still early on but I’m loving it and wishing queer books for kids was actually a thing when I was growing up!

Made me think that I really hope the recent great YA books DC has been putting out through DC Ink and stuff like that would focus on some LGBTQ characters, too. It would be amazing to read a YA graphic novel about a young Kate Kane, or maybe they could even adapt the Dreamer character from CW’s Supergirl for more trans representation.

And not just for queer kids themselves but also those around them, their peers.

5 Likes

A friend of mine just mentioned George. Hope you enjoyed the rest of it!
Im currently reading All Out and really enjoying so far. It had me also thinking about how much harder it used to be to find material like this when I was younger and how much better things could’ve been (and could be) if they were more readily available. There’s been an improvement, but we still have a long way to go. Would love to see LGBTQ YA graphic novels from DC.

7 Likes

I really did, and I loved it. The ending was beautiful and full of happy tears. I read some comments after I finished it criticizing the author that they deadnamed the protagonist, since her chosen name is actually Melissa, but I found that to be okay and it worked for me. Don’t want to spoil anything for anyone but she is referred to as Melissa later and it works. Cannot recommend this short book highly enough!

4 Likes

Ps! Ive yet to properly introduce myself here or to address the original Q.
Hey everyone! Im not one for labels—they’ve done more personal harm to me than good; but I can say that from a very young age, I may not have fully understood what queer, or bi meant, but I knew I was it.
For me, the best part of representation at DC is that it exits at all—developing confidence and hopefully teaching acceptance of each other and one’s self. I didn’t have support on this matter growing up, so having a handful of comic book characters was a tiny place of solace. It’s not always been ideal of course, even just as a woman. I do wish to see more of myself portrayed w/o being conflated or exploited, for sure. Perhaps that’s why I have a thing for ghosts, gods, aliens and…plant people. (Hey Alec. Hey Ivy​:kissing_heart:) Its easier to project myself onto them w/o fear of their ethics or fates being muddled. That’s been changing tho, and I look forward to the changes still to come!

11 Likes

Bisexual here! My favorite part of LGBT representation is just those simple moments of Batwoman and Maggie Sawyer acting like wife and wife at the beginning of DC Bombshells, so wholesome and sweet! And I wish DC wasn’t scared to show canonically LGB characters expressing their sexuality. I’m just saying the straight people do it (was that one page of Jason Todd making out with Talia Al’Ghul really necessary? (if you know you know)). Also is there and ace representation in DC? That might be nice.

8 Likes

Absolutely, some of my favorite stuff in that series as well! :purple_heart: :hugs:

7 Likes

Didn’t see this mentioned in the Watchtower or the News here, so just wanted to post a quick link:

11 Likes

I like that they’re putting more LGBT content in their shows like poison/ivy, aqualad, and Constantine. However I do agree comic book rep is lacking. Yea us trans people don’t get much representation. I can only think of supergirl, the show, that has shown us a trans superhero. I do think DC is better with their rep than marvel.

9 Likes

Hey welcome, @wintersoldier966 I see you’re posting for the first time! This is a great thread to start off with, it’s one of the oldest ones still going (#thegayagenda!)

And I agree, trans representation is severely lacking. I hope more queer characters are created and introduced in DC comics and on the screen, with more trans peeps included. One of my favorite female side characters is Alysia Yeoh from Batgirl and I truly hope we see more of her both in comics and in live action. I would love to see her show up on Batwoman or something, that would give us two trans characters in the Arrowverse!

8 Likes

I agree. Although Harley & Ivy seem to be generating some apathetic responses I find more and more frustrating every day. The lack of empathy and/or trust (especially for women) is exactly why representation matters.

Ps. Nice article, @Mae. I didn’t see it either!

6 Likes

Yurp, empathy is key to everything, that’s my belief. But I didn’t realize there was some pushback or whatnot with H&I? I know not everyone is on board with them as a couple in general, there was an old thread here somewhere about that, maybe I can dig it up, where some valid comments were made, but to me they’re a great couple and I’m happy they’re now canon.

3 Likes

These are difficult days, but still, happy Pride, everyone! I found these cool panels from DC from a couple of years ago and thought I’d share to kick off Pride Month 2020:

8 Likes

This is amazing, I’m so proud of her and so happy! Now I know why that coming out scene resonated so much with me and had me in a puddle of tears, it wasn’t acting, it was real!

6 Likes

Makin’ it rain Gold :star:s for Chyler Leigh for succeeding in BADA55 as much as her character does. :tada:

5 Likes

Very happy for her that she is embracing herself. I agree that was a great coming out scene. While I personally haven’t been a huge fan of the show, her character of Alex has always been a favorite of mine in the show.

3 Likes