Lol

3 Likes

Hey the re! New here 32 poly pan with a live for all things lantern :grin:

7 Likes

So what’s everyone reading ?

4 Likes

Right now I’m reading Watchmen. You?

5 Likes

I’m on Grant Morrison’s JLA Rock of Ages!

4 Likes

Hi everyone.

4 Likes

Hiya! Welcome, @kchapman.8601 and anyone else new recently posting here. This is a swell place here.

Just watched a review of the Harley Quinn animated series and apparently there’s not even a hint of anything between Harley and Ivy, not even flirting. I find that a bit of a letdown. No, not every show has to have queer content, but they’re canonical girlfriends, so maybe in Season 2? :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Are you serious? How can you have both Harley and Ivy in the same show and not have them be a little flirty??

5 Likes

I mean, they are kinda flirty. There was even a joke about it in the latest episode. I think there will be more romance in season 2 since this season seems to be about Harley getting over Joker and becoming her own person.

6 Likes

Unsurprisingly- LGBT character come in all shapes, sizes and flavors - from effeminate to butch to ambiguous, from super hero to super villains to anti-hero. We should be excited to see multiple types of queer people playing multiple types of roles within a single movie.

It used to be “we already have a gay character, if we put two gay characters then it’ll be a ‘gay movie’ and won’t do well”

I love seeing badass unapologeticly effeminate men who can read you for filth then take you out like garbage. :kiss::nail_care:

5 Likes

Yeah, there’s definitely a hint of it, but right now I think they’re working on Harley’s journey to be her own person as well as Ivy being able to be open around people before they can really work as a couple.

6 Likes

Right, that’s exactly what I said haha :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Awesome interview:

6 Likes

The Arrowverse leading the way again with representation. Love that they’re telling these stories. I haven’t caught up with COIE tho so no spoilers.

With this Birds of Prey movie hitting screens soon, surely we’re gonna get another LGBT badass? Renee Montoya? Huntress? Black Mask?? I’ll take anyone.

6 Likes

“Black Mask??” I can’t. I just can’t. :rofl: But with Ewan McGregor playing him that would be awesome

3 Likes

Hi, let’s go down the list:
Batwoman
Apollo
Midnighter
Renee Montoya
Obsidian
The Ray
Black Condor
Constantine
Captain Singh
Joker (technically)
Poison Ivy
Pied Piper
Negative Man
And all that is just comics.
I fell like homosexuality is moderately represented in comics. I also fell like the majority of heroes being straight is just more realistic. Whether or not that is way the gay folk are numbered, I dunno.
Transgenders, though, basically don’t exist, but that will probably change. Trans acceptance, and commonality, is new. So I guess I can forgive the lack of adknowledgement, so far. (unless you count Martians?)
I honestly think that Renee Montoya and Midnighter/Apollo have been the best representations we have gotten.
Also, I think that Joker maybe isn’t good with Harley BECAUSE he is gay? I dunno.

2 Likes

The CW shows, especially Batwoman, are just doing so much for representation it’s insane. Not just LGBTQ characters but the way they’ve racebent so many characters and then actually had those identities discussed on the shows. I still think about the episode of Supergirl when J’onn talked about his choice to take the form of a Black man and how it had colored (pun intended) his whole experience of life on Earth. There’s a lot of cheesy stuff on those shows but I honestly think diversity is one thing they’ve really been on top of. It’s practically Earth-D! (Deep cut, in the spirit of COIE :wink: )

6 Likes

Agreed, and this is why I love the Arrowverse so much! It’s pure comics fun come to life, but it’s also a tremendous push for representation, for more female heroes, queer characters, and characters of various races and backgrounds. I really hope they continue this and I’m sure they will. How awesome would it be to see characters like Kenan Kong and Naomi show up in the upcoming Superman show. Or Jessica Cruz on the Green Lantern show on HBO Max!

5 Likes