LGBT DC Fans

Absolutely agreed. Comics would not be very interesting if all it was is just the good people punching the bad people. We care about superheroes because of their character, who they are as a person, and their relationships and their identity is all part of that.

5 Likes

First I’ll say I’m not LGBT+ but I’m a strong supporter both of my brothers are gay so are multiple people I love friends and family included so please don’t take this the wrong way but Tbh Kind of wish they would just create LGBT+ characters instead of just all of a sudden making a character LGBT+ it just seems like it would be more impactful to the LGBT+ community

3 Likes

I understand that viewpoint. I would also like new lgbt characters. However, often new lgbt characters are thrown aside after an issue or two with only a few exceptions. I think the reason people want established characters to come out is because they have staying power.

Nobody is gonna write off Tim Drake or someone similar.

4 Likes

Ya I totally get that aspect too like to me the LGBT+ character I love the most is batwoman and she has been around quite a while now it would be awesome to see DC create a new character though maybe it will be naomi that would be great she is a new character and imo she has staying power

2 Likes

I believe it would make sense to make an established character LGBT if their romantic life is not really explored. It would have both the advantage of staying power and it would feel like a genuine effort without just changing a known character’s status. Plus, it would be the start of something new and new is always fun

3 Likes

Ya that’s why I think Naomi would be a perfect candidate

1 Like

Yeah except the last few characters revealed to be lgbt have all been women. Lobo’s daughter, Harper Row, Wonder Woman, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Catwoman. I want a male character. There was Aqualad and The Ray but they’re MIA.

5 Likes

Ya cant think of any besides those two maybe roundhouse from teen Titans will come out or maybe Wally west from the current teen Titans I could see that with either character same with Duke Thomas

2 Likes

Agreed on wanting more queer male representation. But has there ever even been a trans hero? Feels like that’s a seriously ignored community in the comics.

4 Likes

For sure, trans people are extremely under-represented. I think everybody just wants to read stories about people like them and it’s hard when your identity is viewed by a vocal minority as an sjw political sneak attack on the morality of the human race.

I don’t envy the people making these decisions. I don’t really understand how they can make these tv shows with diverse characters but it doesn’t translate to the comics. I’m genuinely curious. Are they different audiences? Probably, right?

2 Likes

Like we’ve just recently discussed on one of the Prime Month book clubs, the appearance of Alysia Yoeh in 2011’s Batgirl run was excellent. She wasn’t a superhero though but still a great trans character. According to Gail Simone, her idea was for Alysia to eventually become a Batgirl actually! I would love to see an honest to goodness trans costumed superhero.

4 Likes

That would have been really cool! And super high profile! It sucks that all these wonderful ideas never see the light of day. I love Gail Simone. She’s consistently been a great person to look up too and a champion for representation of all kinds.

3 Likes

@Theo_Thorul I don’t know about the comics but there is a transgender woman character in supergirl (as of season 4)

1 Like

I clung to vertigo during the 90’s as it was much more gay characters. Then with new 52, the mainstream dcu started to go vertigo-ish. (Dark Metal for example). I think representation is just fine, i just wish those side romantic characters would stop being murdered and stuffed in refeigerators. Its like Lois is safe, but all the other spouses and significant others are DOOMED!

1 Like

Cool news!

https://www.advocate.com/film/2019/7/09/report-dc-universe-introduce-its-first-gay-supervillain

2 Likes

Hm… I’m not sure about this. Black Mask is kind of a sadistic torturer. Not sure this is the best case for representation.

3 Likes

Agreed. Not thrilled about this…

1 Like

The article raises some good points about how if this leans into certain tropes, this could be less a case of representation and more a case of regressive stereotypes. DC better be careful.

5 Likes

What I find cool about it though is that if we want true equality and representation, then queer characters can’t all be positive all the time. We do need queer villains.

5 Likes

It’s also possible that they won’t lean too much into the torture aspect – that was a later addition to the character by Ed Brubaker, after all. Plus with Victor Zsasz in there, he more than ticks off (tallies off?) that “sadistic torturer” villain trope.

3 Likes